Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Open] Week 165: Ferocitas

In that little space between your nose and that paperclip
    Bounty
    Exa
    Aelflead had barely taken four steps before she felt the air turn sweltering with heat. She remembered that it was hot close to the dragon, but the only time it got this hot was when- "Vis damn it, again?"

She immediately stopped moving forward and turned on her heel, cutting a new path sideways, towards the beach, left, right, left, and flayed her arms in a separating motion towards her party. She was hoping that the pillars of flame soon to follow the intense heat she was feeling would have a harder time hitting something moving erratically and less of a chance to hit anyone else by "happy" accident.

To her party, however, she looked as if she'd gone mad and was attempting to fly. So puzzled by her confusing new pattern her party almost stopped but recounting the demon wind that's reduced their party's size by half just moments ago they began to copy the brusque woman's wild pattern.

They didn't know what the redhead was warning them from, or if her strange actions were, in fact, a warning, but they could always question her later if they survived. The last few to second guess her for just a minute were flayed carcasses behind them and underfoot.

[208/961]
    Look, the way I see it you can go down the cliff two ways. You can walk down, or I can push you down. Its your choice, I don't care as long as I get paid.
    -Aelflead Kriastes

Quick! Look over there! I promise it's important!
    ~Gwendolyn Noname

Stats and Capabilities

Bounty
    Exa
    Reality twisted on all sides of the great daemon as the portals of Infernalis opened around it. They began to shimmer rapidly, ahead of the archmagi, behind the huge dragon and to either side. Then suddenly, torrents of flame exploded from all four portals, burning the ground and incinerating what little foliage remained.

“Shields!” one laicar man from the legion cried desperately, but no amount of wood and metal were going to save him from the intense conflagration. He dropped his sword and cowered before the inferno, only for a shadow to part the fire before him. All along the frontline, experienced spellcasters had recognised the form of Bellator magic. Together they coordinated their efforts and conjured as many walls as they could to block the attack. Without them, the force would have been shattered, but they had too close to the fiery nightmare to avoid casualties. The flames still engulfed a portion of the attackers and sowed discord among them. Those that did not perish, dropped to the hot ground and rolled desperately to extinguish themselves. The pungent stench of burnt flesh tainted the air. Formations began to collapse as some of the fighters lost their heart under the magnitude of the attack.

The bulging eye protruding out of the ram-horn watched as small groups of imps and twisted creatures began to prey on the distressed soldiers. They were promised a slaughter and that was what they were going to get.

The robed figure stepped out to the side of the dragon, after being shielded from the blast. One lingering flame caught his eye.

A pitiful box of trees and leaves. One corner of it was ablaze, but somehow it still managed to be. The Januin smiled beneath the black hood.

“Worthless.”

The archmagi extended one arm. Reality shimmered again, this time in the form of a small portal adjacent to the robed one. A larger portal appeared underneath the floating cube of green. One hand tapped the small portal and a pillar of flame erupted from the ground, threatening to consume the construct whole.

[346/1,056]

Staff Member
    Bounty
    Exa
    Ignis frowned, unable to feel relieved when their shelter survived the first bout of flames. She was certain there was more to come. Unfortunately, she could not predict the next burst of flames very well. She'd barely been able to spot the cloaked figure striking at something when flames burst through the twigs and vines holding them afloat.

On instinct, as their shield disintegrated, the enlil snatched Amicus to her chest. All four women plummeted towards sure death until they slammed into a web of vines.

The vines nearly gave way, stretching as they slowed the women's fall. Bark and leaves began to form around the vines as they straightened out.

Ignis struggled to inhale; all the air had been crushed from her lungs upon impact. A weak rasp of pain escaped her lips at bruises she could feel forming. She turned her head to the side, tears sliding down her cheeks. Her nose smarted terribly and the blood running down her lip made the avian suspect it had broken.

The enlil coughed and sucked in a ragged breath, air swishing down her throat.

“Vis… damn…” she wheezed, “thing… should have… stayed dead….”

Cora, which had managed to dodge the flames, warbled tiredly as if in agreement.

“I have half a mind to send it back to Infernalis myself,” Laurel grunted. She sat up, groaning. The laicar likely had a cracked rib or two, but that wouldn't stop her. The battle hardened woman pulled off an over the shoulder pack she'd been carrying and began to rummage around.

Pulling out a small device with wires and tubes, the laicar gave a feral grin that stretched her facial scar.

“Let's blow them to hell.”

Dianette pumped one fist in the air to show her agreement, but hadn't sat up yet. The young half-velen rolled to her side and gingerly pushed herself to her knees, favoring her left side.

“We should really get that cloaked figure, too.”

“I have a plan,” Laurel announced. “Birdie, how fast can you get us close to the dragon and the cloak?”

Ignis squawked instead of answering; Amicus rustled apologetically in response.

“Pretty fast,” she whispered from behind her hands, which had come up to guard her nose, eyes watering again. The enlil ripped a strip of cloth from her cloak and held it gingerly to her nose. Having it reset hurt like Aquila’s talons.

“Good.” Laurel nodded. “Hey featherweight,” the gruff laicar addressed Aeria, “how's your throwing arm?”

Their descent began just after Laurel's question, the curved platform beneath then accelerating at a rather frightening pace.

Laurel pressed a button on the device and held it out to Aeria. “Throw it once we're close.”

[449/2750]
    Bombs Away
    dahilitium bomb coming your way :-)

Dys <3

Staff Member
    Bounty
    Exa
    All of Aeria’s desire to sock Laurel in the jaw had vanished. Under the circumstances, a little bit of a slight to her was a minor consideration. They were on the brink of being seriously injured or potentially even killed and taking umbrage at an insult would have been tantamount to insanity. Her stomach returned to normal after their sickening drop and she took the proffered bomb from Laurel’s hand. “Oh I’ve got pretty good aim. You give me the word and I’ll let ‘er rip!”

The way that Amicus caused the platform to swoop down was both exhilarating and frightening. It was also incredibly aggressive which was something that she did not associate with the little mons infans. He was just too cute to be doing this. She wasn’t complaining, however, as they closed with the cloaked figure and its dragon steed. She had once heard that one should wait until one saw the whites of the enemy’s eyes and although this one’s eyes had no whites, she was close enough to gaze into that empty void.

With a powerful, well-timed throw she sent the dahlitium bomb flying down right into the midst of the two terrifying figures even as they continued to sail by. There was no time to do more than chuck it and find out what would happen after the device detonated.

[2033]

Bounty
    Exa
    Meanwhile, Aelflead was trying to rise to her feet.

Her awkward dodging had turned out to be a bad gamble, and instead of ducking past one of a numerous amount of portals she was sure were going to appear, she'd nearly been vaporized by the massive gout of flame that'd decimated another chunk of humanity's patchwork army. It was only thanks to quick thinking on the part of a demvir painted with symbols in gray that she'd been spared no more than some bruises.

"It's a little early for a victory lap, we're not even inside yet." The demvir's face was a smooth, expressionless, piece of metal with holes cut into it to allow green glowing eyes vision but it's warbling voice was more smirk than Smiles' whole being was grin.

She pointedly ignored the machine and went to stand, only to find herself getting dragged back to the dirt again, reaggravating the bruises she'd just received. Before she could turn to fling the demvir off of her, a small point of light sailing through the air caught her eye.

A closer look at the object told her what it was before her sarcastic new friend's electronically produced hiss of "Stay down!" reached her ears. Her ire immediately drained from her system, and she turned two dimensional.

[217/1,178]
    Last edited by Pacman100; 07-20-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    Look, the way I see it you can go down the cliff two ways. You can walk down, or I can push you down. Its your choice, I don't care as long as I get paid.
    -Aelflead Kriastes

~Gwendolyn Noname

Stats and Capabilities

Bounty
    Exa
    A huge bang crackled through the air as the bomb exploded, chucking shrapnel against flesh and bone. The ground shook with the rumble of a deep growl. One huge bat-like wing had protected the archmagi from the blast, but the creature was in pain. The wing sagged after suffering damage from the explosion, but Ferocitas was not deterred. If anything, it was invigorated.

The dragon twisted its body to gaze upon the group of brave women. The pupil of its disgusting mouth-eye shrank as it focussed upon them. As steam rose from the damaged rune-patterned wing, the other suddenly spread and pointed to the sky. The ancient glyphs began to glow red for a moment, then with a single powerful wave, four bright orbs were hurled out of the pattern towards the hurtling platform.

In the wake of the gust generated by the spell, the robed archmagi dropped to one knee and placed his hand to the ground. When he raised it again, he unleashed a handful of gold dust into the air. Moments later, a thick rain began to pour from the darkness overhead and beat against the battlefield. The thick droplets evaporated into steam upon contact, releasing a poison into the air.

As the unnatural rain began to coat the main force of the assault, the gathering swarm of daemons grew more tenacious.

“Form ranks!” one battle-hardened veteran shouted. “We need to carve our way to the dragon while it’s distracted!”

Scattered soldiers fought to rejoin the main group and healers reversed the effects of the previous inferno on those that were still alive. Together, they defended and recuperated so that they could regroup and continue their advance.

[280/1,336]

LATE NOTE
    Dragon used four Lightning Orbs and Archmagi used SLOWWWWWW.
    Last edited by Valero; 08-02-2017 at 06:04 AM.

Staff Member
    Bounty
    Exa
    “Good throw,” Laurel commented with a resolute nod.

“This doesn’t look good,” Ignis murmured, squinting at the thrashing dragon. The bright orbs were blinding, causing the avian to shout and cover them with an arm.

Seconds later, their platform swerved violently in order to dodge the magical attack. The vines and leaves tightened, blocking out the light just before explosive lightning and thunder shook their cocoon.

The smell of burnt wood wafted in, but their stronghold remained intact. They had dodged enough of the lightning to stay afloat.

The shield relaxed a bit, allowing daylight to stream through the spaces between the leaves and branches.

Ignis groaned, still unable to see. Colors danced across the backs of her aching eyelids and vague images from Amicus’ mind mingled in the background to form a confusing collage.

“Let’s see if we can hit it again,” Dianette suggested. “Laurel, do you have anything stronger than that?”

The gruff lacair woman pulled another bomb from her pack and fiddled with the wires and knobs on it.

“Alright, feathers, if you can throw this as hard as you threw the last one, I think we can do some real damage. Aim for a wing or something. Its head if you can.”

Dianette glanced at Ignis. “Are you alright?”

The feathery woman just groaned and held up a shaky thumbs up.

[225/2975]

bomb diggity
    auritium bomb coming your way

Last edited by Dysney; 07-30-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    Dys <3

Staff Member
    Bounty
    Exa
    As Amicus shielded them from the blast, Aeria wondered about the toll that all of this was taking on the little mons infans. It was difficult for her to believe that he wasn’t suffering some ill effects from all of the force he was deflecting. She hated that there was no time for him to rest, but there was nothing that could be done about it. The sooner they had this over with, the sooner they could deal with the aftermath.

Aeria took the bomb with a solemn nod. She was gaining respect for Laurel’s no-bullshit attitude and her ability to manufacture wonderful explosive devices. Right now, those explosives might prove to be the difference between life and death for her and many others. She hefted the bomb. “I’ll hit that fucker right in the head if I can. I’ve had about enough of this shit.”

The vehemence in her tone even surprised her a little as she felt Amicus bringing them around for another bombing run and swooping down. It was difficult to see through the mist and fog, but the dragon’s size made it an easier target. She could see the outline of its head and when they were close enough, she aimed and threw the auritium bomb. Now once again, they could only sit and watch to see what would happen.

[2257]

Bounty
    Exa
    Under new assault from the flying foursome, the remaining army at large followed the cry of one voice and bore down on the dragon and its master like the plague. The closest few were the leading group of barbarians and massive gunmen, and they struck first.

Those that were able immediately opened fire on at the sight of the archmage. However, the recoil from gunfire seemed subdued and staccato to the gun-toting bruisers, and their hammer and axe wielding counterparts swings looked slowed as if swinging through water.

Even the brother machinae who'd knocked Aelflead down knew that he was perceiving time slowly. Something was wrong, something was off.

That was when the demvir noticed the rain.

Aelflead, up to this point had not moved since the second time the living machine had floored her, trusting its judgment from saving her neck the first time. But now she had grown impatient, and her back was growing stiff from not moving.

With a heave, Aelflead drew her sword again and shrugged the automaton off her in one motion. Then, with a roar that seemed to be more for herself than any other reason, she charged the mage hiding beneath the demon and aimed to cut out the tongue that taunted the army he stood against.

"Wait! This is Verti-!" The demvir tried to call in warning but was drowned out by the sounds of sword against claw, and Aelflead's own roaring.

As the half-scale bared down on the robed, sickly looking creature and swung, time came almost to a stop for the woman, and the swordswoman's expression turned... Sour-er than before while the rain washed over her.

notes of importance
    So in case it's not totally apparent, Aelf is attacking with bigat sword. I'm pretty sure this is a a garunteed miss because of slow, and being caught unawares by it for her impatience, but since she's close enough seemed like a good idea to go for it.

[276/1,454]
    -Aelflead Kriastes

~Gwendolyn Noname

Stats and Capabilities

Bounty
    Exa
    The sight of a single, red-haired warrior sprinting towards the fiercest of foes spurred on a few individuals from the assaulting force. A few dozen of the most capable warriors joined Aelflead and charged towards the robed figure. Though the steam hindered their swiftness, they had gained so much ground. The nearer they grew to the grotesque dark mass, however, the more they lost their sense of bravado. They grew light-headed in the warm rain, their legs began to feel like stone. Despite their struggles, they surged onwards. But it was not enough.

Two smoky circles appeared in front of the smiling Janu. Upon striking both of the ethereal rings, a powerful force flung the adjacent attackers through the air. As they scraped across the rough ground, a screeching gale ripped through the air. A blade-like beak splattered crimson fluid across the field. Agonising screams pierced the ears of the few who thought themselves brave enough to challenge the might of Ferocitas. A wave of airborne terrors descended from the black sky to gorge upon the first morsels of their feast.

As the man just meters away from Aelflead was disemboweled by the cruel mockery of the enlil, the ground began to rumble. The stamping of hundreds of feet signified the staggered approach of more soldiers from the bold Terminus army, ready to thwart any horrors that came near them despite their hindrance.

The sudden crackle of an explosion surprised man, woman and daemon alike. The following bellow from the draconic nightmare shook the ground even more than the approaching forces. Smoke rose from scorched scales along one side of the great dragon, intermingling with the steam generated from the warm rain.

The bellow was already loud, but grew to an ear-splitting roar. The red mouth-eye fixed itself upon the leafy cell as it shifted. Such a flimsy construct. It did not deserve to be. Ferocitas lifted its good wing. The runes glowed gold for a brief moment before a vicious lightning bolt exploded forth, too swift for the floating green platform to evade.

[344/1,680]

Note
    SLOWWW continues, making people feel dizzy. The Archmagi used a more powerful Repulsor, hurtling the first melee attackers back. The Dragon used Lightning Cannon, at the foliage platform and everyone inside. Enjoy!

Thread Information