Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Canonization Thread

Bounty
    Exa
    Custara Tutella

History

When the Cataclysm devastated Araevis, the world experienced a trauma like no generation before. Millions of creatures were wiped out, swathes of the planet devastated, and entire civilizations were ground into little more than broken relics and fading memories. Those left behind to pick up the pieces of the broken world were brave indeed, but such a breaking point caused even the hardiest of minds to falter. The surviving populace who had amassed in Terminus were forced to deal with the surge of emotions brought about by a world that had quite literally shattered beneath their feet. Some drowned their sorrows in alcohol or intoxicants, others lashed out in anger and fought their fellow people, and some just lost the will to live entirely.

One Velen named Pyrhhras wondered if there was more to be done than just treating the physical flesh: the idealistic Velen wondered if it was possible to heal a broken spirit or a shattered mind. At first, her colleagues dismissed the idea as noble but ultimately impossible, as all the existing spells were meant to deal with the body. She argued that Castus users had a responsibility to devote themselves entirely to the eradication of suffering, and argued that the best way to do so was to find a way to heal the mind. After all, the mind was the master of the body in the first place, and that it made more sense to try and convince someone to live than it did to spend precious time every month drawing out alcohol from their system after the latest suicide attempt. A few of the old masters agreed, but all of them were too consumed with the task of teaching new followers of Castus and ensuring the physical health of the devastated populace to pursue the matter further. Pyrhhras, growing frustrated with what she saw as a purely reactive approach, eventually decided to embark on a religious pilgrimage. Some sources say that on her journey, she travelled to each of the former capital cities of the Laicar, the Enlil, and the Velen, but scholars rightfully point out the implausibility of the claim considering the level of devastation wrought on those places during the Cataclysm.

Fifteen years later, she returned to Terminus with a band of capable followers who revered her as a saint (much to her chagrin). Some records say that she returned claiming that she had received a visitation from Castus himself, who had shone a light on her that she had never seen before. Whether she did or not she did meet Castus has remained a hot point of debate since her journals were rediscovered. What is undeniable is the fact that all known records point to her returning with the power of a Master-class Castus practitioner. When questioned on the fruits of her pilgrimmage by the old masters, Pyrhhras demonstrated an entirely new spell: modern day Castus users know it as Calming Placebo. She used this new knowledge and power as a way to legitimize an ambitious religious sect devoted to the alleviation of all Vis’ suffering: it was dubbed Custara Tutella, which meant “Stewards of Care” in the ancient language.

For the remainder of her days, Pyrhhras remained the spearhead of Custara Tutella and spread the revelations that she had experienced on her journey to all who would listen. She preached that just healing the body was only a temporary fix, and afflictions of the mind were of utmost importance in the long term care of a patient. She did not neglect physical injuries as a source of suffering by any means, but she made it her personal mission to go after other, more insidious sources of suffering: mental health, poverty, and even discrimination were all popular subjects in her speeches and journal entries.

As the years went on, the Caretakers established several temples across Araevis where they performed their work. These people were potent practitioners of the art of Castus, but they also performed the work of feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and doing their damnedest to provide a listening ear to the mad and the broken where society would not. When Pyrhhras passed, Custara Tutella eventually fell into obscurity as many of its members were followers of Pyrhhras rather than personally devoted to the cause.

In Modern Times

Around 50 years ago, some of Pyrhhras’s journals were rediscovered and added to the Arcanum's collection. 27 years after that, a Velen student of Castus named Jelani Asa decided to revive Custara Tutella in this current age of crime, villainy, and madness. Since its revival, only a small number of individuals in all of Araevis have become Caretakers. Few individuals are benevolent enough to take up the Art of Castus and even fewer are selfless enough to walk the path of the Caretaker.

The Custara Tutella are only modestly known in this age, but those who have experience with the Caretakers regard them as masochists. Who else would devote their entire lives to alleviating suffering in a city that was built on it? But the Caretakers often remind their doubters that the best way to deal with an overgrown plant is to remove the root, and they firmly believe that things which compromise the mind (hunger, mental illness, inebriation) are the root of all suffering. Due to this, the Caretakers have become the foremost mental health experts in Terminus. Caretakers are required to undergo the following: a rigorous study of conflict resolution, psychology, therapy, and similar services at the primary temple of Custara Tutella; becoming proficient in at least the Novice level of Castus; serving at least one year performing community service. Members of the guild are required to recite and uphold the Caretaker's Oath: a code of ethics that explains how all members are expected to conduct themselves. Unfortunately, the full code written by Pyrhhras has been lost to time: what exists today is a reconstruction based on parts of it that were mentioned in Pyrhhras's journals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Caretaker's Oath
    I swear to uphold, to the best of my ability and judgment, this oath:

As a follower of the Immaculate One and a member of the Custara Tutella, I hereby devote myself to the eradication of the suffering of my fellow Vis.

When the call of suffering reaches my ears, I am bound by creed and compassion to answer its call.

If the poor cry out for food, then I will feed them to the best of my ability. If the sick cry out for healing, then I will employ the gifts of Castus in their favor. If the maddened cry out for relief, then I will listen to their plight and empathize with their struggle.

I will respect the hard-won progress of the Caretakers in whose steps I walk, and gladly share their knowledge as well as mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the suffering, all measures which are required.

I will remember that there is art and beauty in the works of the Immaculate, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may sometimes outweigh the surgeon's knife or the alchemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to acknowledge when the skills of another are necessary for a patient’s recovery, for arrogance will always be the downfall of the Vis if we are not vigilant.

I will not indulge in any activity or substance that could compromise my ability to do the work of the Castara Tutella.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that all of Araevis may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death in a world so devastated by both.

I will remember that I do not treat depression or a virus, but a sick human being whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability, and vice versa. My responsibility includes all these related problems, if I am to care adequately for those who suffer.

I will prevent suffering whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow Vis, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May Castus grant me joy in alleviating the suffering of those who seek my help.
    The city of Terminus at large is still trying to determine how best to use these Caretakers. A fair number respect the level of dedication (and insanity) it takes to devote one’s life to alleviating suffering in a world as cruel and chaotic as Araevis. The Arcanum appreciates the extra business from teaching Caretaker-hopefuls the arts of Castus, but keeps the organization at arm's length due to the Caretakers' rather liberal political position regarding the Spuurii and their tendency to share information quite freely. Some Caretakers have found work in the governmental side of things. These caretakers provide a range of services from prisoner rehabilitation to psychological evaluation, using their unique training and skills to ascertain how best to help criminal minds. Others still take their service into a private practice, helping everyday citizens to make sense of their own turbulent minds and find their place in the world of Terminus, though often for a small fee. One thing’s for certain though: if you need a place to rest your head, fill your belly, or patch a wound (mental or physical), there is no better place in Terminus than on the couch of a Caretaker.

Round Two lesgo
    Took both of your suggestions, will. Changed up the History and Modern Times section accordingly and added a copy of the Caretaker's Oath. I think this looks a lot better now actually
    Last edited by Bish; 01-06-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    "In this world, talent and character are often found in inverse proportions."

[SPOILER] A gift from the kindhearted Dys. [/SPOILER]

The Lurker <span style='color: #FFFFFF'><span class='glow_008080'>swaswj</span></span>'s Avatar
    Bounty
    Exa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Custara Tutella

History

When the Cataclysm devastated Araevis, the world experienced a trauma like no generation before. Millions of creatures were wiped out, swathes of the planet devastated, and entire civilizations were ground into little more than broken relics and fading memories. Those left behind to pick up the pieces of the broken world were brave indeed, but such a breaking point caused even the hardiest of minds to falter. The surviving populace who had amassed in Terminus were forced to deal with the surge of emotions brought about by a world that had quite literally shattered beneath their feet. Some drowned their sorrows in alcohol or intoxicants, others lashed out in anger and fought their fellow people, and some just lost the will to live entirely.

One Velen named Pyrhhras wondered if there was more to be done than just treating the physical flesh: the idealistic Velen wondered if it was possible to heal a broken spirit or a shattered mind. At first, her colleagues dismissed the idea as noble but ultimately impossible, as all the existing spells were meant to deal with the body. She argued that Castus users had a responsibility to devote themselves entirely to the eradication of suffering, and argued that the best way to do so was to find a way to heal the mind. After all, the mind was the master of the body in the first place, and that it made more sense to try and convince someone to live than it did to spend precious time every month drawing out alcohol from their system after the latest suicide attempt. A few of the old masters agreed, but all of them were too consumed with the task of teaching new followers of Castus and ensuring the physical health of the devastated populace to pursue the matter further. Pyrhhras, growing frustrated with what she saw as a purely reactive approach, eventually decided to embark on a religious pilgrimage. Some sources say that on her journey, she travelled to each of the former capital cities of the Laicar, the Enlil, and the Velen, but scholars rightfully point out the implausibility of the claim considering the level of devastation wrought on those places during the Cataclysm.

Fifteen years later, she returned to Terminus with a band of capable followers who revered her as a saint (much to her chagrin). Some records say that she returned claiming that she had received a visitation from Castus himself, who had shone a light on her that she had never seen before. Whether she did or not she did meet Castus has remained a hot point of debate since her journals were rediscovered. What is undeniable is the fact that all known records point to her returning with the power of a Master-class Castus practitioner. When questioned on the fruits of her pilgrimmage by the old masters, Pyrhhras demonstrated an entirely new spell: modern day Castus users know it as Calming Placebo. She used this new knowledge and power as a way to legitimize an ambitious religious sect devoted to the alleviation of all Vis’ suffering: it was dubbed Custara Tutella, which meant “Stewards of Care” in the ancient language.

For the remainder of her days, Pyrhhras remained the spearhead of Custara Tutella and spread the revelations that she had experienced on her journey to all who would listen. She preached that just healing the body was only a temporary fix, and afflictions of the mind were of utmost importance in the long term care of a patient. She did not neglect physical injuries as a source of suffering by any means, but she made it her personal mission to go after other, more insidious sources of suffering: mental health, poverty, and even discrimination were all popular subjects in her speeches and journal entries.

As the years went on, the Caretakers established several temples across Araevis where they performed their work. These people were potent practitioners of the art of Castus, but they also performed the work of feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and doing their damnedest to provide a listening ear to the mad and the broken where society would not. When Pyrhhras passed, Custara Tutella eventually fell into obscurity as many of its members were followers of Pyrhhras rather than personally devoted to the cause.

In Modern Times

Around 50 years ago, some of Pyrhhras’s journals were rediscovered and added to the Arcanum's collection. 27 years after that, a Velen student of Castus named Jelani Asa decided to revive Custara Tutella in this current age of crime, villainy, and madness. Since its revival, only a small number of individuals in all of Araevis have become Caretakers. Few individuals are benevolent enough to take up the Art of Castus and even fewer are selfless enough to walk the path of the Caretaker.

The Custara Tutella are only modestly known in this age, but those who have experience with the Caretakers regard them as masochists. Who else would devote their entire lives to alleviating suffering in a city that was built on it? But the Caretakers often remind their doubters that the best way to deal with an overgrown plant is to remove the root, and they firmly believe that things which compromise the mind (hunger, mental illness, inebriation) are the root of all suffering. Due to this, the Caretakers have become the foremost mental health experts in Terminus. Caretakers are required to undergo the following: a rigorous study of conflict resolution, psychology, therapy, and similar services at the primary temple of Custara Tutella; becoming proficient in at least the Novice level of Castus; serving at least one year performing community service. Members of the guild are required to recite and uphold the Caretaker's Oath: a code of ethics that explains how all members are expected to conduct themselves. Unfortunately, the full code written by Pyrhhras has been lost to time: what exists today is a reconstruction based on parts of it that were mentioned in Pyrhhras's journals.

The city of Terminus at large is still trying to determine how best to use these Caretakers. A fair number respect the level of dedication (and insanity) it takes to devote one’s life to alleviating suffering in a world as cruel and chaotic as Araevis. The Arcanum appreciates the extra business from teaching Caretaker-hopefuls the arts of Castus, but keeps the organization at arm's length due to the Caretakers' rather liberal political position regarding the Spuurii and their tendency to share information quite freely. Some Caretakers have found work in the governmental side of things. These caretakers provide a range of services from prisoner rehabilitation to psychological evaluation, using their unique training and skills to ascertain how best to help criminal minds. Others still take their service into a private practice, helping everyday citizens to make sense of their own turbulent minds and find their place in the world of Terminus, though often for a small fee. One thing’s for certain though: if you need a place to rest your head, fill your belly, or patch a wound (mental or physical), there is no better place in Terminus than on the couch of a Caretaker.

Round Two lesgo
    Took both of your suggestions, will. Changed up the History and Modern Times section accordingly and added a copy of the Caretaker's Oath. I think this looks a lot better now actually
    For the most part, consider this accepted. There are things that still need revision, which I don't have the brain-power to do right now, but can easily do when creating a Codex entry.

In the oath, you speak of "fellow Vis" but the Vis are the deities of the world. There are five Vis (Castus, Occultus, Bellator, Serpens, Aquila), and Castus, as the premier of the five, is also known as the Viskar.

The Arcanum would welcome the Caretakers with open arms. While individuals within the Arcanum may not always uphold the ideals perfectly, and some -- such as the Solaviskar -- are oblivious to how their treatment of other races is wrong, the organization as a whole is inclusive, welcoming, and generous. There will never be an official stance from the Arcanum that spurrii are at all unwelcome, and the bulk of their libraries are open to all comers, whether members of the Arcanum or not. Think... up to 'skilled' level in knowledge, which would encompass about 80% of anything people wanted to know.

This leads into a growing frustration I have, personally, and it seems to crop up in multiple places in your write-up: Terminus is meant to be seen, from the outside and by most people in the city, as idyllic. People come to Terminus from all over the world because it's seen as a place of opportunity. There is corruption, there is crime, there is a dark side to the city, but think of an apple with a worm in it. It looks whole and healthy and you might never notice anything wrong unless you find the hole or dig beneath the surface.

For many, the Arcanum stands as the pinnacle of moral guidance. The Conexus is seen as a shining example of upholding duty. The Commercium as the leader of a free market. Fraternitas... nah, Fraternitas is still seen as powerful but unruly and potentially unreliable.

One thing I'd point to in-game is the Lupanar District. Its existence is contradiction. On the one hand, the fact that criminals have an entire district as a safe haven, where the guards leave them alone, is a symbol of corruption. However, on the other hand, the fact that criminals have only this one district is a testament to how effectively the rest of the city is policed and protected. The biggest crime families and organizations will of course always be trying to expand their influence, but carefully, because if they play their hand too strong, they run the risk of drawing attention and being forced back into their little corner, in shame.

That little rant aside: I like the idea of the Caretakers. I like the additional lore that it brings to the School of Castus (although I would not limit to the one spell we currently have submitted, and leave it more vague to allow for future submissions). And if you ever reach a point where you can afford a registration, I could see transitioning them into a player guild, as well. So the Caretakers are approved, but expect revisions on the wording.

Bounty
    Exa
    Global Holidays
    These holidays are recognized all over the world.

Ortus 20th (March), Serpens's Day
    The first global holiday of the year. It is a day to celebrate the world both that is close and far. It is a popular time to do repairs around the home and to clean up. People also volunteer to help out their neighborhoods. Others take time to go out exploring and hiking.

Sol 20th (June), Bellator's Fire
    It is a day to celebrate strength and the way forward. It is a time to have outdoor parties consisting of the recent harvest. A bonfire is lit during the entire celebration. At night, it is also time to burn effigies representing the past year.

Occiduus 31th (October), Occultus's Night
    It is a day for celebrating the unknown and mysterious. It is a time for people to try out new things and discover what they can possibly become. People dress up in strange and spooky costumes and pretend to be something else. There is a huge increase in nighttime activities.

Umbra 25th (December), Aquila's Ball
    It is a day for peace and joy. It is a time to spend with families and loved ones. It is customary to give people presents and to help the less fortunate. During the day, groups of people go around singing. At night, people cook elaborate dinners for all of their family and friends.

Somnus 14th (February), Castus's Gathering
    The last holiday before the new year. It is a day for celebrating relationships and love. It is a day for couples to show that they appreciate each other, and for single people to try and find someone for themselves. Chocolate is a popular gift to give out to partners or potential partners.

The Lurker <span style='color: #FFFFFF'><span class='glow_008080'>swaswj</span></span>'s Avatar
    Bounty
    Exa
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfin View Post
    Global Holidays
    These holidays are recognized all over the world.

Ortus 20th (March), Serpens's Day
    The first global holiday of the year. It is a day to celebrate the world both that is close and far. It is a popular time to do repairs around the home and to clean up. People also volunteer to help out their neighborhoods. Others take time to go out exploring and hiking.

Sol 20th (June), Bellator's Fire
    It is a day to celebrate strength and the way forward. It is a time to have outdoor parties consisting of the recent harvest. A bonfire is lit during the entire celebration. At night, it is also time to burn effigies representing the past year.

Occiduus 31th (October), Occultus's Night
    It is a day for celebrating the unknown and mysterious. It is a time for people to try out new things and discover what they can possibly become. People dress up in strange and spooky costumes and pretend to be something else. There is a huge increase in nighttime activities.

Umbra 25th (December), Aquila's Ball
    It is a day for peace and joy. It is a time to spend with families and loved ones. It is customary to give people presents and to help the less fortunate. During the day, groups of people go around singing. At night, people cook elaborate dinners for all of their family and friends.

Somnus 14th (February), Castus's Gathering
    The last holiday before the new year. It is a day for celebrating relationships and love. It is a day for couples to show that they appreciate each other, and for single people to try and find someone for themselves. Chocolate is a popular gift to give out to partners or potential partners.
    I like it.

Since Vesper and Umbra (Nov/Dec) are involved in the Nocte Nils holiday, though, I think we may need to relocate Aquila's ball to Arctos/January

Thread Information