Reviewed [Be] Week 242: Chemistry - Feedback

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Bat Cthulhu

[Message Deleted]
Jun 18, 2009
Latens
38✦
Exa
⏆269
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
I always love Squalidus. He just is a very recognizable image. An image that is put at odd, sometimes, with his noble upbringing. I, for example, was pleasantly surprised to see that he was married, of all things.

I like how you go about the crafting process. Multiple testing batches, making random workers and even his own wife sample the products. There's a build up, with a slight tension because, knowing Squalidus, this might be a molotov cocktail or just a bomb. You also leverage his wealth fairly well, having others fetch ingredients for example, and showing a good way to kind of quicken the process and skip over a few weeks.

My only thing my head keeps coming back to is Squalidus' random altruistic streak for his cook. While it sort of makes sense in the area that this would be a man who would want to keep his cook happy more than even his wife as far as hiring her back after the wife dismissed her, I find it odd that he would be encouraging her to take food to feed her family. I could see him not wanting to waste food, but the additional reasoning feels off, I guess? Like it's just there to further tell us that Primrose is not a nice person. I may be wrong, though. I've only read a few Squalidus pieces and his bio page. He just doesn't paint me as a "feed the poor" type.

But overall great piece and great way to show the alchemical side of crafting. I look forward to seeing more with this bird-o.

Patreon

Writing Week is 253

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis