FAQ: Release Guide: Ruby and Sapphire

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Eidolon

Murderface Murderface
Sep 23, 2006
Latens
0✦
Exa
⏆0
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
So you have a PC and they can do some sort of release. Now you're asking yourself, what's allowed in the RP? The answer is more or less whatever your imagination can think up. Now, there's a few general things to consider that I advise as the current staff.

1) Create something that reflects the core nature of your character.

We don't want someone who is a calm, collected person with a positive view of the world having a inner world of emo darkness and a kai that explodes their friends. It just isn't putting 1 and 2 together.

2) Have a release that is both fun to use, and fun to write against.

We don't participate in a RP to 'win the game.' At least, that's my motto and it carries over to how I evaluate releases. If you have a kai that takes away the ability of other participants to participate or makes you some sort of unstoppable freak of nature with no counter play, I'm going to come down pretty hard on it. That being said, keep in mind the first clause of this point.

We want the kai to be both useful an fun for you to write with.

3) Try to avoid the trio of an attack, a defense, and a movement technique.

This is a pretty generic take on a kai. There's nothing wrong with it inherently, but most releases have some sort of driving theme or aspect that should be the cohesive element.

4) I want my ability/attack to do more/go behind the standard limitations of range or cost.

Perfectly fine! But the first thing I'm going to ask is: what's being given up to achieve this advantage? Its a give and take, not a take and lose nothing in turn. I want to shoot a 75m line in bankai as my attack, so, I decide that an appropriate trade off is either a long cool down or that it requires an expendable, non refreshing resource to use, costs against my zanjutsu threshold and/or other things. That's going make me inclined to approve it. Just saying its better then normal with no trade off/counter play is going to incline me to flat out deny it.

5) Elemental kais, light/darkness kais, and so on are just fine!

Again, mind the whole the release should match the character but these types of releases are no problem. If you have a fire release, its not generic. Its what the release can do that makes it generic or not. Someone with a parasitic or explosive personality might fit with a fire kai well, but someone who is calm, placid and so on would stretch to have that fit.

6) When your kai ends or the release ends, all its features are lost.

Stacks, accumulated resources, and so on end immediately when you seal your release. Negative consequences do not end, however, such as limitations of uses per day or whatever.

Note: If you try to take a permanent release to circumvent this(or already have it and don't explicitly note that) and I see you do it in the feat thread without notifying both of us, I will be very unhappy. Pretty sure Feat staff will be too.

7) Don't be afraid to put forth new ideas or new things!

New is great, and, as release staff its my job to help make the ideas you have work. I will do my job!

8) Don't post something you know has 0% chance of being approved.

An attack that lets you auto-hit for leathal damage isn't ever getting approved. So please don't waste both our times by putting it up as a submission.

9) Don't try to be the sneaky guy that gets something OP past the evil release staff.

If you do this, or betray my trust in you understanding the basics, I'm going to retcon your release into a state you don't appreciate. And the next time up to the plate I'm going to be very, very strict. Don't incur the wrath of all the staff and even more importantly, lose the respect people have for you by trying to do this.

10) I won't mind if you ask me for a quicker review, and I don't mind getting PM's asking for early advice.

But respect what I say. If I tell you I'm busy so I won't review just this moment, then know I will get it done within the staff deadline. And of course, whatever is posted in the review thread is the word. My job is to handle the thread and keep it moving at a reasonable rate while managing the content. It is not to give you ideas and evaluate your submissions before they are posted. I may do those, but its on a when I can basis.

11) Van denied/changed my kai so I'm taking it right to the GM Review thread!

9/10 times the GM staff puts the clamps on things a lot harder than I'm inclined to. So good luck with that. Plus I'll be advising them about the 'very close' things I pushed through that they won't like. You can always talk to me, resubmit, and so on which are far better alternatives then rushing to the GM thread. Its there when there's no recourse not as a kneejerk reaction.

12) OMG Van passed this kai but I don't like it so I'm rushing to the GM Review thread!

Are you release staff? Probably not, so you shouldn't be trying to do my job for me. That being said, if you see someone trying to violate #9 pass me a PM, and if its really someone being naughty I'll retcon the crap out of them. We don't want to put a lot of pressure on the GMs who are already busy with a lot of other stuff. If you come to me and I disagree with your evaluation and you feel that's not right, its your right to put it up for review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eidolon

Murderface Murderface
Sep 23, 2006
Latens
0✦
Exa
⏆0
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
This post will go over some of the basics, helping you get some general parameters for your kai.

Ability Slot versus Attack Slot

Attack slot - By the loosest definition, attack slots have a cost that generate an effect. By more strict standards (I'm looking at you Herculean Judge) attack slots not only cost some amount of reiatsu but have some sort of offensive purpose. This rule *can* be bent depending on the whole of the kai, however, I usually lean towards no.

Ability Slot - Ability slots don't have to have an offensive purpose, and don't have to cost reiatsu. These are the open book of kai slots, and are quite precious. Your imagination's the limit: Undead like vitality, giant war wolf steeds, the ability to see into the true reflection of an opponent's soul, or creating a giant dancing statue are just a few examples of what ability slots can do!

Why does this matter? - Well, for me its pretty simple. Different races have a different number of slots and a different distribution of attack and ability slots. For example, Shinigami get 1 ability and 3 attack slots in bankai. Their ability slot is *strong*. Their attack slots are usually skewed towards the strict definition of attack slots. Advent humans have 3 slots, all fairly strong, and all ability slots. This is to express the unique and 'free' nature of their release versus the process of a shinigami's release. Extra ability slots don't mean much if we aren't making sure they do!

Costs

Initial Releases

For initial style releases, I like to see costs in the flat range of 10-1000 reiatsu (with 1k being pretty beefy), and 1-15%(15% being heavy hitting). Is this strictly enforced, you ask. Yes and no, I reply. Yes, in that if you go over these cost thresholds I'm going to be expecting a very good reason for me to approve it (read a sacrifice somewhere else).

Final Releases

Now you're in the big leagues, and costs can be the whole spectrum. Tie the cost with the potency of what the attack or ability does and don't be afraid to let me balance those costs. Make a guesstimate and I'll do my job.

Summons

Your summoned creature gets your entire reiatsu boost from TA or BK. On top of that, you can choose to spend up to an additional 25% reiatsu (AH) or 15% reiatsu (Shini/Viz) to further strengthen it. How much you will spend is determined when you submit your release. This is how much reiatsu the summoned creature will have to spend on its own attacks.

For stats, the summoned creature will have a pool equal to 20% of your base reiatsu plus its base reiatsu (a summoned creature can never have total stats greater than 75% of the user's total stats). You can then pick whether the summon will use Shini, AH, or Hollow stats. If you summon a samurai, you would want Shini stats, but summoning a wolf you may prefer Hollow stats -- choose what best suits the summon. Summons do not gain access to base techs like Shunpo.

You will express the stat build as percentages. For instance, the samurai summon with 20% Hohou and 80% Zanjutsu, or the wolf summon with 40% Sonido, 60% Rage.

About Multiple Summons / Builds: Your total stats cannot exceed the numbers above. If you prefer, you could create three summons with 25% of your strength, but understand that they and their abilities will be weaker, accordingly. If you want, you can submit multiple 'builds' for your summons, so that you can pick a summon suited to a particular situation.

You cannot have more than three summons at one time or more than three summon builds total.

Hopefully, you've got all that and can now do some Wonder Twins activate fun!

Stat Modifications

We don't have those in releases any more, so they are a no go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patreon

Writing Week is 245

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis