Feats pre-release preview!

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Eidolon

Murderface Murderface
Sep 23, 2006
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
This has been sitting for a bit, so I polished up the ugly ass scribbles I had made into something more presentable. Discuss please!

Feats
Feats are a means of showing a character's unique growth as an individual. This is represented in acquiring feats: either general feats, which are powers that can be gained by anyone of that faction, trained feats, which are abilities and styles learned from one's allies and peers. Unique feats are a a powerful addition, tailored to fit the character's own spiritual growth in a powerful manner.

Strength and type of Feat Slots
General
General feats are a bit stronger than a division tech. As such, they can contribute in an interesting manner to RP, fighting, or character expression. These types of slots are only able to be filled with a general feat.

Trained
Trained feats can be on the level of a shikai ability or even a bit more. However, as a trade off, one cannot learn more than one type of 'style' trained feat. Trained feat slots can be filled with trained or general feats. Further, these can only be learned through meaningful instruction and practice. At least one collaboration of instruction is require, and at least one chapter demonstrating practice.

Unique
Unique feats are very strong abilities that can rival a bankai/full release slot. The allow the user to perform very impressive actions that can turn the balance of a particular engagement. Unique slots can be filled with any kind of feat.

Epic
Epic feats are the rarest and most immensely capable of feat slots. They can only be handed out by unanimous GM decision.

Feat acquisition

PMs

The first and simplest way to acquire a feat is to write in a PM session. If you are able to contribute in a meaningful manner with more than 3,000 words in a PM session, you can earn a trained feat slot. A maximum of two slots can be earned in this manner.

Vice captaincy or lieutenant grade
When a soul reaches this level of power, they are able to express themselves more fully, earning a trained feat slot.
Feat slots(filled with trained or general feats)

Bankai or full release
When a player achieves a bankai or final release, their spirit has risen to tremendous prestige and power, and this is expressed in the acquisition of a unique feat slot.

Captaincy or faction heading
When one achieves the final step in rank, they are rewarded with a second unique feat slot to further express their characters individual manner and power.

Becoming a Vizard
IF you survive your taming period, the harrowing experience has its reward: a unique feat slot is earned and may be used to show a tie to one's inner hollow.

GM feats
For contributing to the plot of the game, other players, and role playing exceptionally one can earn a GM reward in the form of a feat slot. This may be a custom tailored feat already created, or more rarely, a slot of a particular kind. This may also be tied to the acquisition of a lucrative item.

Doc

Jan 16, 2012
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
As somebody with no feat slots before this update and a new feat slot after it, I think this is purdy cool. I'm interested to see how this plays out once it goes from a pre-release to a release.

Nargles

Hollywood Meets Bollywood
Staff member
Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
Latens
2✦
Exa
⏆5,276
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Bring it on. I. dare. you. 8|

Anyway, I really like this change. Does this mean we are removing the max cap?

Time Lady Katie

The Lily Girl
Jun 23, 2011
Kalamazoo
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I think my concerns were pretty vocalized in chat, and I guess it's all in the execution, but shall we say I feel extreme trepidation. I'm worried that, especially for newer people like myself, this is an effective cap of three Feats and more as a GM happens to think we were helpful, which is itself an uphill climb for a new person in any RP setting, particularly when a solid community of writers feels the natural dislike of an outsider.

This is my perspective. I could ask you to be merciful toward it, but I don't expect that.

Also, I assume retroactivity applies to the mechanic of feats and not their use in story, since people using feats that never existed is far more detrimental to the story than feats just ceasing to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eidolon

Murderface Murderface
Sep 23, 2006
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I think my concerns were pretty vocalized in chat, and I guess it's all in the execution, but shall we say I feel extreme trepidation. I'm worried that, especially for newer people like myself, this is an effective cap of three Feats and more as a GM happens to think we were helpful, which is itself an uphill climb for a new person in any RP setting, particularly when a solid community of writers feels the natural dislike of an outsider.

This is my perspective. I could ask you to be merciful toward it, but I don't expect that.

Also, I assume retroactivity applies to the mechanic of feats and not their use in story, since people using feats that never existed is far more detrimental to the story than feats just ceasing to be.

1) the most any one person could gain upon joining the RP was 1 feat slot, or maybe 2 feat slots a year from writing in PMs. That rate of change has increased for the first whole year. Now they could potentially hit 4.

2) Retroactive hurts a bit, but no one is getting hit on near the level of my own character. This also highly encourages collaboration and innovative feat submissions, as well as making unique feats *really* pack a punch and add a huge amount of personalization to your character. GM feats will be doing that too: a tale of your history written out in the change and development of your abilities.

3) Last because I hope its taken to heart: people expressing their opinions is not only accepted, its good. Nothing is perfect and bringing up points to consider such as you did is good for everyone.

Beaks

Wacky Woohoo Pizza Sadness Man
Feb 16, 2008
Latens
41✦
Exa
⏆0
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
So now we have to resubmit all our feats and McGuffin the ones that aren't insane down to trainables. Well, got one more question before I get started: What happens if we have more than 2 feat slots already earned via PM's? I'd hate to sound like "that guy" right now but frankly I'd be pretty shitty to make it 4 years in HD and get hobbled like that. I'd assume it just means we can't earn any further ones through PM writing, but I've been wrong before.

For now, time to start resubmitting.
yep-1.gif

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
8,028✦
Exa
⏆3,653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Max of 2 via PMs (even if earned before).

So right now you would have five feats: PM, PM, VC, C, BK.

So three Trained, 2 Unique.

After those, you'll be looking for earning GM Feats for plot activity (and again, remember that plot activity is not limited to PMs).

youngsaso

May 10, 2008
Chicago
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I guess I will ask my question which is in regards to RPers like myself who are using new PCs. Back when my old PC was around you weren't awarded a slot for reaching BK. Now seeing as how my previous character had BK, do I get a retroactive Unique Feat Slot? Or do I have to wait until my new PC reaches BK again before I get this slot?

tminus31

Jul 20, 2008
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Clarification needed, one of my feat slots was gained as part of the seireitei tournament a few years back, what category would that come under?

Plus I have 3 (possibly 4 in relation to the above) trained slots, is that something that should be dealt with somehow?

For the record mine come from PM, PM, PM, 'Tournament' and C

Eidolon

Murderface Murderface
Sep 23, 2006
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I guess I will ask my question which is in regards to RPers like myself who are using new PCs. Back when my old PC was around you weren't awarded a slot for reaching BK. Now seeing as how my previous character had BK, do I get a retroactive Unique Feat Slot? Or do I have to wait until my new PC reaches BK again before I get this slot?

Part of being a new character is the excitement of growth and reward for trying new things.

Slots that *do not* transfer: Vizard, Captain, VC, Bankai, EPIC. But you CAN re-earn them

Slots that *do* transfer: PM, Empty Gm slots.

We feel this gives some incentive to sticking to your guns, and, a sense of reward for older players trying new PCs. It also makes being in command both lucrative and desirable.

Eidolon

Murderface Murderface
Sep 23, 2006
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Clarification needed, one of my feat slots was gained as part of the seireitei tournament a few years back, what category would that come under?

Plus I have 3 (possibly 4 in relation to the above) trained slots, is that something that should be dealt with somehow?

For the record mine come from PM, PM, PM, 'Tournament' and C

You would now have 2 PM slots, and the Seireitei tournament slot is considered a GM slot, in my mind. We'll need to quickly discuss this as the GMs, but assume for now you have an extra trained GM slot.

youngsaso

May 10, 2008
Chicago
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
great, tminus asked the next question I was thinking of. So now I am short on my VC slot. I got a slot from the grand tournament a couple years ago as well, my pc had his face halfway melted off to earn that one lol. So the silver lining to that cloud is that I have a GM feat (until further notice), So as things stand I have PM, PM, Tournament. Will there be any further updates on this topic?

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
What is 'style' referring to in trained featage? Can I no longer get a feat to pickpocket an unsuspecting person's armor right off their back and a feat that disintegrates people hit by lightning, or is it like I cannot have shunko and whatever the zan version of shunko is?

Also, if all my feats completely work out the way they are now, do I get no resubs?

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
8,028✦
Exa
⏆3,653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Strength and type of Feat Slots

Feat Slot
A normal feat slot may be used for General Feats and Trained Feats.

These are earned from participation in PMs (up to two) or attaining the rank of Vice-captain.
Epic Feat Slot
This feat slot allows the user to submit a Unique Feat. It may also be used for Trained or General Feats if desired.

These are earned by becoming the head of a faction, attaining the final release for your character, or taming the inner hollow (Vizard only).
GM Feat Slots
GMs may elect to give out open feat slots for participation in special events or contributing to plot. When a GM gives an open feat slot, it is considered to be the same as an Epic feat slot.

There were two GM events that provided Feat Slots: the Grand Tournament of Seireitei and Retribution Missions. If you participated in one of these, then you have one additional GM Feat Slot. One, not both.

The Halcyon Days World Tournament did not award Feat Slots. If you've forgotten what prizes were given, they can be reviewed
here.

The spec point earned from the most recent PMs only will be refunded, worth 1000 Kan. Spec points are no longer in use.

If you previously purchased a Feat Slot, each one is now worth 3000 Kan. You can no longer purchase Feat Slots.

If the new changes result in a dramatic shift that warrants a resubmission, you have until Feb 29th to submit for free.

For the purposes of the rules, a "Style" Feat refers to those special Trained Feats that give multiple abilities and are typical quite powerful for a single feat. Togishi and Shunko are perfect examples. When the Feats thread is updated, those Trained Feats that count as Styles will be labelled as such.

No, if these rule changes do not invalidate your feats, you do not get a free resub.

Last edited:

youngsaso

May 10, 2008
Chicago
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Thanks Will, that clarifies everything. Just one more question. Who do I talk to about getting Kan added on to my account? from my estimates, i have a retroactive 1050from my old PC and four spec points to cash in.

Patreon

Writing Week is 505

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis