Grading Session for Week 319

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

K3

The Angry One
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
The Great Pond in the Sky
Latens
997✦
Exa
⏆6,358
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Group 2 -> Group 3 -> Group 5 -> Group 4 -> Group 1 -> Group 2

Group 1 (Hare): 1st/5th/9th Divisions
Group 2 (Raph): 2nd/3rd/6th/11th Divisions
Group 3 (Katie): 7th/10th/12th Divisions
Group 4 (Hiren): 4th/8th/13th Divisions
Group 5 (Moon): AHs/Vizards/Quincies

Grades are due by 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Nargles

Hollywood Meets Bollywood
Staff member
Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
Latens
2✦
Exa
⏆5,276
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
PM BONUS NOT APPLIED

Minj
Masks and Rubble [85/101]

I guess my main problem with this is that I don’t think Hikaru actually talks like normal people do. Do people actually vocalize “this will not end well” before they pass out? A lot of his comments seem plastic, something that would see out of a robot with preset outputs, without really factoring knowledge of the situation at hand. He stands around providing witty assorted comebacks, even when they don’t fit the situation. In this way, there’s literally not much I can do to get a gauge on his internal/mental state because I honestly have no clue what it is from your descriptions other than... ‘witty’?

Also, you can’t learn Senkaimon. You can access opening the Senkaimon by yourself after you’re a fifth seat.

Nella

Fly Away [64/68]

Solid work, thought I do wish Yuurei was a bit more... engaging in this? It was very one sided and while I understand Yuurei is more of a listener than a talker, it felt at times Satoru was kind of talking to a void. Though, the collab did actually become really interesting when it was a good back and forth. Seeing their two differing opinions on the whole debacle was great because of the ideas they both have on the 10th.

Catch some typos tho.

Nightmare
Gloam [54/57]
Hare [54/57]

It was going well until Gloam disappeared, though I do recall you having internet issues to I’m not going to penalize much on that. That being said, the collab flowed pretty well, the action was good. That being said you two did a good job keeping the PM importance feel going well. It did get a bit clusterfucky about half way through but Lil seemed to pull things back in like. Kind of felt like it ended a bit too early for my liking as I never got a nice wrapup. Then again, this seems to be part of a greater PM so hopefully it’ll get cleared up, and honestly that was out of both of your hands.

K3

The Angry One
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
The Great Pond in the Sky
Latens
997✦
Exa
⏆6,358
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Group Two Grading

Rob:

55/56 - Food for Thought [1110]

Critique's gonna be short, I'm all but burnt. Good chapter, but your pacing suffered in the transition between introspection and dramatic reveal. Try to make the transition a little more drawn out, give us time to take in a new environment. Nana's mannerisms were very consistent and enjoyable, making her sarcastic but still interested in current events.​

Guest Grader: Dys:

93/96 - About That... [3827]

As I stated above, I'm burnt for energy so the critique will be on the skimpy side. You seriously need to work on dialogue. When a character is talking, think about how realistic it feels. People don't say the exact things necessary to move things forward. When two characters are having a conversation, try to think about how a conversation in real life would go. That aside, you've really improved on your conveyance, and I'd like to see you keep it up. Cheers.​

Raph's Links for Week 319:

MoonlitRain014

Staff Member
Supporter
Sep 22, 2009
Latens
4,654✦
Exa
⏆16,539
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Val

X5 [80/82]

My only complaint here is that it feels like you rushed through this a bit in terms of how easily the testing went and right after Masa's going, "Oh hey breakthrough!" but otherwise I enjoyed this as always. I particularly like Gekijin and Shuku's responses to each other and their general relationship. I also really want to know how this whole Jotunol thing is going to play out with the larger Cerberus plot. We should talk about it!

Nelo

Good Morning, Tokyo! [106/106]

You and Red in a collab. My day has been made. I cannot express the joy I feel at the homoerotic undertones in this here collab. On top of that (haha no pun intended) there's Raury. I love Raury. He is, in all honesty, one of my favourite HD characters and I am quite pleased to see him interacting with one of Ms. Red's innumerable NPCs. Also hollowfication. Woah. That's some crazy shit for Feybrando-san to deal with and you wrote it well. Take all the points, kind sir.

For my grader:
http://www.mangaden.net/forum/showthread.php?38826-Week-319-Security-Breach-Pt-I

Bish

Nov 28, 2012
Latens
1,534✦
Exa
⏆654
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Group One, Secondary Grader

Whoa, haven't done this in awhile. Nevertheless, it's good to be back in the saddle.

Inkers

Good Morning Tokyo!

Firstly, I gotta say that I love your characterization of Rufus. It is refreshing to see a character who is not naturally inclined for bravery. There are a lot of characters in HD that will jump at the call if given the chance, but seeing Rufus's reluctance to do so really makes him stand out. His interactions with Raury feel incredibly touching because he is actively struggling against his own nature to help a friend. I'm a sucker for interpersonal loyalty, so watching Rufus try to establish that is really damn heartwarming.

Mechanically, your writing is solid as usual, so no points lost for that. If you guys decide to do the pit training together, I would read it without hesitation. Div bonus for characterization and your stellar character interaction. Great work this week!

Division Bonus[ 30 / 0 ]

Total Points[ 136 / 106 ]

k3seraph

He Is Broken In Half! (God as My Witness)

As usual, your spacing and dialogue is spot on. It's always nice to see members of Orpheus being actual detectives instead of just gunslingers.

Wrong critiques aside, I haven't read much of Aki aside from her stupidly powerful awakening. That aside, she reads a bit more like a Genki girl than anything else I've seen you write though it never approached cheesy territory. She was tastefully energetic, so congrats on that. Again, this reads a bit more like an introduction to something bigger than an actual standalone chapter. It's a good first look at Aki's character, but the ending makes it obvious that this the beginning of something more.

There was a bit of a stylistic error though. Note the following:

A small side-job for Contracting, being the sister of the Director did in fact have some benefits.

This sentence feels a bit disjoint. Maybe you left something out of the sentence that would have made it clearer, but the first bit of it before the comma seems rather out of place. It would sound a lot better if it read like:

Being the sister of the Director did in fact have some benefits.

I've come to expect great mechanics from you, so this was especially jarring to find. Gonna have to snatch a couple of points for the break in flow. Other than that, solid work. Div Bonus because I still love your writing style and you did a good job of painting a picture of Aki's persona.

He Is Broken In Half! (God as My Witness)[ 50 / 53 ]
Division Bonus[ 10 / 0 ]

Total Points[ 60 / 53 ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Several Zombies

Zombie Overlord
Staff member
Apr 18, 2009
www.postterminus.com
Latens
3,850✦
Exa
⏆1,743
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Group 3 and Bish

Stepping in here so people can have their grades. Let's get this over with.

Dys:
Where the Pieces Fit

Lets get this out of the way. I know nothing about these characters. I'm a blank slate. That being said, it's not all bad news. First impressions are important, and it's not often someone gets their work reviewed by someone totally unfamiliar with their characters! New perspective!

...Anyways, the prognosis is good, at least for Robin and his band of rugrats. In this short chapter I managed to get a good feeling for the personalities and drives for the characters involved. The writing flowed well and the interactions never felt strained or unnatural. It was an organic experience that didn't sell the characters short, and that's a good thing, especially in just one thousand words. There were a few spots here and there where I felt things could have been paced better, but that's more of a personal qualm than any real critique.

52/52

Cats Murder Mice

Yes, yes they do. Now Adele is a character I have some begrudging experience with, but at least she's not totally unfamiliar to me! This one was a bit less vibrant when compared to the last chapter. The persona of Adele continues to elude me despite her various bouts of introspection and interaction with Midnight, the cat. I'm still not sure what to make of her. Maybe I haven't read enough of her, but the notion that one can convey a character's baser drives and persona in a single piece, in every piece is one that I believe to be crucial to advancing as a creative writer. Characters have themes and motives that come through in each and every action. I could see them clearly with Robin and Konora, but not so much with Adele. I won't judge based on this piece alone. Maybe you were off your game. But I think it's really worth looking at Adele and asking yourself who she is and what she stands for beyond just being 'that cat-girl'. As a final aside, Shinigami kill hollows to protect living souls and maintain balance, not just because they're "in the way" =P

42/49

About That...

See Bish's grade below!

Fate
Making Opportunities*

Oop, typo in the title. Not a solid start, but will he stick the landing? Kind of. I think I've read more academy chapters than anyone else in the RP. Almost every new Shinigami will invariably have one, without fail. Still, some stand above the rest. It's easy to take an old concept and follow it verbatim, but it's difficult to take that same tired idea and breath new life into it. Unfortunately this one sticks to the formula, but its a start. The 'underdog' has been done to death, but it could have been worse. At least Sarah didn't end up being one of the "I'm great at everything but particularly amazing at Kidou/Zanjutsu/Fabergé egg painting" crew. And that to me shows potential for real character development. She's not perfect. She's far from it, actually. And it means that you have to build her up that much more through your stories. This is a good thing. If there was one piece of advice I could give you based on this chapter alone it would be this; don't be afraid to break the mold. This chapter was formulaic and safe. Fine for points but not fun to read by any stretch of the imagination. Don't shy away from taking a different approach to things, or doing something wacky and new, because the real gems in our RP come from those sorts of shenanigans. Find a niche, make it your own, do something different. That's what I want to see. And you've laid some decent ground work here. Where you go now is up to you.

Mechanically, I notice that you have a tendency to run sentences on a little too long, and to write in big, dense blocks. It's hard on the eyes, and tough to make sense of. Try to be mindful of that going forward. Otherwise, I think you're off to a fine start =)

PS; spell check everything, even your titles! ;3

90/95

Bish
Fly Away

Satoru engaging in some juicy gossip I see. And there it is, the ship-jump. Honestly, I don't really have anything to say about this one. It was a good collab, you and Nella pulled off the dialogue in a good way, and in the end it actually served to illustrate the conflicted feelings within Satoru about departure from the Mystics, as well as the strong convictions that lead him to do so in the first place. Overall, it was a good show from both you and Nella. Full points.

68/68

About That...

This one was decent too, but not without issue. I liked how it started, and how the pair of you had your back and fourth dialogue that really conveyed some emotion and depth to the characters; some history left unresolved that weighed on them. It came across, and it was good.

And then it was gone just as fast. Conflict resolved.

This bothers me. The buildup was nice and the emotions were there. Why do that only to have it sort itself out in the next sentence. Strife builds character! I would have liked to see some actual, lifelike responses from the pair after what transpired. I want to see these feelings of betrayal and guilt come to a head instead of just simmering quietly before being swept away. It could have been a pivitol point for the both of you to really grow and expand your characters emotionally, and give you plenty to write about going into the future. But instead it's just wasted potential.

I digress.

The next half was decidedly formulaic. Zan spirit chatter and a manifestation to hint at a coming Bankai (which I could have sworn you had already). It wasn't bad, it just didn't really moisten my loins at all. It comes back to my comments for Fate. It was safe. I don't like safe. I want to see people do things differently when the need to write something seemingly formulaic arrives. Shift some paradigms, revolutionize outside of the box! That aside, it was fine from a writing standpoint; a few errors here and there but nothing particularly glaring. The only sticking point for me is the manifestation of the spirits. I was under the impression that zan spirits weren't capable of manifesting so willingly, and certainly not interacting with anyone other than their owners. But I'm not an expert, so I'll let that slide for now.

90/96 for both you and Dys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patreon

Writing Week is 506

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis