[Plot] [Open] Week 113: Vigils at Dawn

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Latens
481✦
Exa
⏆359
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Aelflead with stinging eyes still full of indignation some few meters away from Ego and still coughing roughly. She'd caught the worst of the demon's strange ability from being so close, and breathing deeply from swinging her blades. Now she stood, leaning on the hilt of her great-sword like a cane while she caught her breath.

Smug bastard... Where does he get off? The woman growled in frustration. She could feel the chasm between her and the demon now and the disorienting feeling it gave fed a sense of powerlessness to her rage. Now she just couldn't do anything about it.

The enlil's glare managed to catch her eye briefly but she dismissed it to focus on Ego. The demon's apathy towards her and nonchalant attitude that it spoke with irked her more than even what the creature had actually said. You must be real hot shit huh? No worries about the spurii trying to run you through because you're a freaking ghost huh? Her knuckles turned white while she clenched them around the hilt of her blade, but she stood and sheathed it instead of attacking again. Her scowl deepened, but as frustrating as it was to acknowledge, she knew she couldn't take on the hellspawn now as she was. She was many things, but not mad.

She backed away into the crowd again, bested and more than a little embarrassed, but at the very least she could learn by watching, and destroying the gate wouldn't be that bad of an idea either. You'll get yours later, she thought.

[1,164] Final Total

Last edited:

K3

The Angry One
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
The Great Pond in the Sky
Latens
997✦
Exa
⏆6,358
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
"Well, far be it from me to tell you how to feel." Ego remarked rather sullenly to Seneca, seeming thoroughly put-out at the sudden resolve of the motley assortment, before he perked up at Ignis' words. Grin widening, he spun on his heel but seemed content to speak at the pair from across the room.

"Why, you wound me ma'am! I am nothing if not professional! You see, as lovely as my offer might be – just ask my current employees – I don't need anything from your lovely little self." Blank, narrowed orbs locked onto Ignis, and the gangly devil took measured steps towards them. "That's the curious thing about you mortals, after all. You always imagine that someone else needs something from you!

"Why, what on earth could you offer me aside from your soul? Money? Fame? No, my dear," As he uttered these words, Ego's grin became downright malevolent, "you put it best: perhaps I do owe you something. A kindness returned, no?"

As casually as one might snuff a candle, one of Ego's arms, hereto slack at his sides, snapped out and plucked at something. Ash-gray smoke seemed to waft from between the clenched fingers, and if one looked closely enough, a small pulse of crimson seemed to seep through as well. Then, the hand was offered to the young enlil.

Splaying his palm open, Ego revealed a smoky, jagged piece of quartz. Ignis could glimpse the devil's palm through it, and a small metal embedding with a loop allowed the catalyst – for she could comprehend its nature almost immediately, the power it exuded seemed to draw her to it – to be slung along some manner of chain or cord.

"Go on," Ego enticed, voice remarkably silky and low, "take it."

[ 293 / 3221 ]​

Last prompt for the collab, and consider this the concluding round everyone. I'm prompting both Dys and Val here, the offered crystal is equivalent to an Auritium (3) Catalyst for Occultus spells... but is cursed, binding itself to whosoever touches it first and forcing them to suffer a tier 3 mental attack every time they cast a spell of any magic school, manifested as an intense migraine.

Last edited:

Dysney

Staff Member
Supporter
Dec 30, 2012
Murica
Latens
985✦
Exa
⏆653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Ignis’ eyes locked on the piece of quartz from beneath the hood of her cloak. The began to move forward as if entranced, seeming to drift as the fabric of her garment flowed around her frame.

What possibilities did this new object hold? What could she learn if she studied it? What could she accomplish with the power radiating from the roughly cut mineral? The engineer could already envision wearing the quartz on a necklace, a thin leather one perhaps, could imagine tinkering with it. She could imagine trying to cut it apart and test how it reacted to various potions. There was so much to be discovered.

Ignis’ hand was already reaching for it when she felt a sharp pain on her still tender shoulder. Her hand halted mid-air before the enlil snatched it away as if she had been burned.

Amicus rustled aggressively within her cloak, digging the sharp points of his fingers into her newly healed skin.

“I think I’ll pass on that damned thing.” Abruptly, Ignis turned and retreated to Deni’s side.

Amicus relaxed. Although his contractor had not noticed it, the wrongness radiating from that trinket Ego offered felt disgusting to the mons infans’ senses. It was a tainted object, rotten to the core, a double edged sword. That quartz catalyst would hurt them at least as much as it aided them.

The familiar radiated pleasure through their bond when he felt Ignis’ relief and thankfulness.

“So, let’s get this volunteer brigade on the road. That portal won’t close itself,” Ignis declared, sounding more confident than she felt.

[263/1368]

Last edited:

Abbey Rose

Transpositively Euphoric
Jun 18, 2009
Latens
0✦
Exa
⏆18,995
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
"Smart." Cassius remarked from the seat he had taken in chair comfortably far away from Ego. He had let the focus shift off of him, and, like usual, barely anyone had given him a second glance. He got away with quite a bit like that.

“To anyone else who is thinking about grabbing that little gem out of his palm,” he continued, trying to convey that smirky cockiness that Fortis used, “know that any deal with him is always for either his own benefit…” he paused. Did he want to go against the guy who owned his immortal soul in any way? It would probably end poorly for him.

Well, can’t just let them be completely hoodwinked, even as dumb as some of them seem.

“...or his own amusement.” The mage smiled a smile he did not feel, acutely feeling the warmth of his scarf. “Isn’t that right, Fortis?” He had not pieced it together until way later, but the look of relief on the thief’s face after Ego had plucked the strange ebony sword from his fingers showed something had been wrong with the weapon, and even if it was all in his head, Cassius would feel okay making that assumption. After all, if the last few days said anything, the asshole would leap at the chance to be seen.

“But I digress. I am going to go grab a cup of coffee. It looks like I am going to need it.” He got up to move towards the door. As he did so, he tried to ignore the face Ego was making at him. He could pretend it was a look of admiration that way.

277/1080 FINAL

Valero

Lobster Mobster
Supporter
Jan 5, 2010
Latens
1,046✦
Exa
⏆607
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Deni watched uncomfortably as Ignis slowly approached the demon. She said that she would be careful. Having said that, if recent events were anything to go by, was it wise to trust her? Sweat beaded on the velen’s forehead. He silently cursed himself for the irrational move he was planning. If he just swiped that stone out of Ego’s hand then the curious enlil woman wouldn’t have to subject herself to the side effects of the artifact. But how would it affect his own mind? His own abilities? He bore his teeth as he was stricken by his own internal conflict.

Before he could even make a decision, however, Ignis had turned the item down. Relief swept over the gunslinger as he wiped the sweat off his forehead with one arm. Perhaps he should have trusted her after all, though since the demon dragon, he was finding that difficult.

Deni switched his focus to the permanently smirking demon. It was a shame. Given his personality, the two of them probably could have been friends had it not been for their difference in nature.

“A kindness returned usually requires an original kindness to begin with, so you can understand our suspicion.” Deni finally remarked. After Ignis’ actions, worry had disappeared from his expression. He even managed a short smirk, though he was still as wary as when he first laid eyes on the demon. A part of him couldn’t believe they were trusting his information, even if it was to prevent the hellish attacks on the whole metropolis. He shrugged his shoulders.

“Sure, let’s do it. I think I’m going to need something a little stronger than coffee, though.”

[278/1,228] Final

Shadowthread

May 26, 2009
Latens
529✦
Exa
⏆356
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Even he was enticed by the clear power held within the catalyst that Ego offered to the enlil among them. However his thoughts turned towards the impending threat of the demon portal and the possiblity of a certain demonic dragon coming back for revenge on what they had done to it, and he would rather not have a repeat of that.

Some part of the athlete wanted to stay behind in the city and let the others deal with it, but his conscience would not let the kinner just leave it to the others, while he would be safe. After all he played his sport for the adrenaline highs, and dealing with demons would hopefully give a different kind of thrills to the seeking laicar.

However, even if they were to close down the gate, the athlete wondered within if he would be of use in their efforts. Most of the others seemed to have lot more experience in dealing with the unnatural than he had thus far. But the athlete vowed to himself that he would do everything in his power to stop the demons from advancing their invasion any further.

”Yeah, I agree, we've got a portal to close,” He said with confidence and determination echoing in his voice.

[212/698] Final

Shadowwind

Araevis' Lead Ecologist
Apr 5, 2008
Latens
6,301✦
Exa
⏆1,591
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
And so this was who was to set out and save the world. The hunter struggled to hold in a laugh. If he had known then what he knew now, Corvus doubted that he would have even left Paludis. Even now his mind drifted as to whether the Junction would still be there when he returned. They were a scrappy bunch but without him there, the hunter couldn’t be sure of what would transpire.

Worse still was the company he found himself with. His soul had been wagered, his body still struggled to accept that fact. The demon who now employed him was mad, the one who had stepped up to lead a criminal. Fine then, let this be his story. They would die before the Black Portal in a song some bard would romanticize years from now. Or better still, they would return home to a hero’s chorus.

The end result didn’t matter. Those creatures had ensured an ancient toll would be paid. The hunter glaced down, one hand rubbing along the new scar that ran near his vorax’s eye. Blood would be answered with blood. He would wait to see what the final tithe paid would be.

The hunter and his pet turned to leave, they said nothing. There was nothing left to say. All that remained was to let their actions echo their story. His eyes caught the mafio’s for an instant. There was a ghost of a smile, of a readiness to see this to the end.

And then he was gone, fueled now by a single thought. He would need far more arrows.

[268/1018]

Nargles

Hollywood Meets Bollywood
Staff member
Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
Latens
2✦
Exa
⏆5,276
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Dominic scowled as he saw Ego conjured the catalyst into his hand. After seeing the malefic power within the sword Kincaid picked up, he had a good gut feeling what would be in store if anyone accepted the demon’s offer. As the magnitude of the situation was relayed to the crowd, the mix of responses worried the mobster. While he had been assured of the strength of some of the members he had fought with previous in front of Semper Mihi, the newcomers were wildcards.

It was difficult to get a read on them as a group. Between the brashness of Aelflead, Ignis’ original willingness to deal with the devil, and even Artanis’ conflicting loyalties, it was difficult if they could even get the job done. As much as he loathed to admit it, the only central, unifying force was Ego.

He turned to face Artanis and the members remaining. “We’ll meet here once again tomorrow morning. Get whatever you need because I don’t think any of us will be back in Terminus for a while,” the mobster ordered. The more pragmatic side of his mind wondered if it was a suicide mission they were about to embark on.

He nodded to Artanis, their contract assuring him that the demvir would keep his word. He approached the exit, his mind already buzzing with the preparations he would need to make. Shooting a passing glance at Ego he pushed the door open to leave. He had no intention of dying on the journey.

His Pride wouldn’t allow it.

Final: [1067]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patreon

Writing Week is 502

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis