[PC] Week 325: The Fracture: The Amber Forest V: Tinkerbell

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Vita Dominus

Apr 20, 2019
Latens
216✦
Exa
⏆65,678
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
16⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
17⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
The Professor's sharp claws dragged against the edges of the triangular cage holding the creature. He let out a guttural koo in excitement. “My research suggested that you can create a barrier in a given area separating what's inside from what's outside.” He motioned towards three garnet crystals each an inch in diameter. “Utilizing a medium of crystalized blood from beings that contain the planar signature of the area you wish to separate you can anchor one place into another.” The Enlil backed up and opened his arms in a grand gesture. “Within this pocket dimension, I have anchored a part of the plane from Astrum to this partitioned off space.” The professor began to laugh like a mad scientist in excitement. “I am the first enchanter to bring another plane onto our own!” His feathers stood up in the excitement and he began to dance with glee.

Vita calmly walked around the cage, arms folded behind him in thought. The small apertures in his eyes whirled as he focused intently on the area around the cage. A crimson glow pierced through the secrets of what was hidden. A field of ethereal energy blanketed the cage while what looked like pillars of crimson pierced through it holding it in place.

“The amount of stress this places on the veil between these two worlds is abundant. How do you keep it within resonance without collapsing?”

The concept Vita was asking about was similar to tectonic plates. The planes were not meant to stay overlaid together for long. Occasionally, they pass by each other and influence one another giving life to new flora, fauna, and natural disasters. However, this method would seem to forcibly keep one plane locked unable to pass. The longer the overlap between them the more permanent the portal would become. Thoughts of the “Black Portal” flashed through the Machine’s archive.

Albion blinked in confusion, “It is fine. We are inside a separate pocket dimension from our plane you see. So nothing will happen to our world because of this anchor array. Albion has thought of everything!”

A metallic eyebrow raised in intrigue. “Doubtful”

Vita paced more intently around the captive. Assessment: Many high-level enchantments being done in the forest, yet all the meta math is riddled with shortcuts. Although no mention of a larger array being created, I suspect the irresponsible organic may have used one on a more obtuse scale. Which would explain the veiled barrier around the area preventing those from coming and going. The two places are beginning to merge. Inquisitiveness pierced through annoyance.

“How long has this matrix been up, Professor?”

The avian crossed his arms and pondered for a moment. “I captured this creature three weeks ago. I was very pleased with myself. You should be too. I am on my way back to academic notoriety.”

“Query. Why have you not succumbed to the mental attacks of the fae being exposed to one in close proximity?”

Albinon’s feathers ruffled and his eyes darted back and forth. He answered quickly. “The barrier prevents the abilities of the creature from reaching us.”

The picture was slowly coming into focus for Vita. He knew that not to be true. The fae had contacted him once during meditation and he surmised it would reach out again if given the opportunity. The Demvir would need to isolate the fae from Albinon, a straightforward task of drugging an organic.

The Enlil continued his work as Vita prepared a “calming” tea for him. A mixture of various narcotics he carried in a medicine pouch for the field that would induce deep sleep. Subserviently, the machine approached the workbench.

“Professor, you are deemed essential to my purpose here. Therefore you are not to expire. Please consume sustenance.”

The exhausted avian let out a koo and drank the sweet-tasting tea in one draw. “Must get back to work many things to learn here, Vita.”

“Understood, Professor.” He calmly walked back to the center of the large cave and sat to wait out the effects. He would soon be able to speak with the creature in private.

Only an hour had passed until the organic was starting to show signs of visible fatigue. First a yawn, then a stretch followed by the heaviness of the head. Soon Albinon was asleep on his disk face first which was not all too odd for someone like him.

Vita approached him carefully to assess the state of his unconsciousness. Cold steel pried open an eye as it rolled to the back of his head. A satisfying smile formed on his face.

Parameters acceptable.

He marched over to the cage and studied it for a moment. Distress visible on the creature's face trapped within. Vita reached for the bloodstone at one of the arrays vertices and was shocked upon proximity. Clearly, it was enchanted to prevent tampering. Something Vita had never thought to use his trade for before but, would now employ in the future. A quick thought and the machine’s eyes glowed as he studied the magic around the stones and barrier.

While he was unable to do anything about the foreign array being used by the stones he did recognize the arcane algebra written into the enchantment preventing him from touching them. With a flourish, he pulled a golden tipped stylus used in enchanting from his bag across the room. Like an arrow, it darted into his hand. Suddenly, his mind was assaulted by a strong force that he could not identify.

“STOP!“

He looked around bewildered searching for the source of such strong mental ability. The creature within the cage stood with vigor. Strain clearly painted on its face.

“State your reason.”

"There is no time. You must help me. The stranger is evil. He took many of us for his experiments. I have watched them all turn into liquid. He killed them all! You must stop him. Your potion is wearing off, I can sense it. Head to the edge of the forest where the barrier shimmers like a mirror and follow it in any direction. You will have your answers there… hurry!"

It was like the fae was reading all of their minds. Just as it predicted the professor slowly awoke with new vigor. “Vita, gather your things, we have another expedition to the outside!”

The machine looked back and forth between the fae and the researcher. Confused as to why he woke up so quickly and how the fae was able to speak with him so directly. All of that would have to wait to be meditated on later.

“Affirmative, we do.”

Patreon

Writing Week is 502

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis