[R] Volume 89: Peace of a Puzzle

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

xero_ghost

Mar 22, 2005
Antinimus
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Total Volume Wk: 5,012

Chapter 87: Untitled
Words: 1.25k

Somewhere within Soul Society, in a very vague location and an even vaguer point in time, somebody was out there doing something. But we're not really interested in that person and what they were doing, our attention will instead be focused on a point within a small apartment within Rukongai. Granted, this is a person, and he is doing something, so he could be the person mentioned at the start. But that's beside the point. Who's telling the story here? Me or you?... Never mind, Don't answer that question... Back to My story kthnxbai. (yeesh.. Such rude people going and ruining my careful narratio... are you still listening to me? Go back to reading already!!)

He'd never cared too much for having a large estate, or some grand property that was supposed to be fitting for someone of his rank and standing within their ranks. Having a massive hideout only gave a greater chance of having it discovered. Exactly why he opted for having multiple safe houses instead of a single location. It gave him the freedom to move around, to not be shackled to a single location.

That fool Ue was too short sighted to ever understand subtlety, he was quick-witted yes, but he lacked the patience to develop a plan beyond the linear. It was also this lack of a sole sanctuary that kept him off of his subordinate's radars. It helped to keep them guessing on his intentions while he was able to keep track of theirs.

The floor and chairs within this apartment were littered with files and scrolls, every one of them from within the walls of Seireitei, or containing what very few people had access to. He wasn't even sure what he was looking for, but it didn't change the fact that the sheer amounts of research done within the walls of Seireitei offered up countless opportunities for anyone with a hint of imagination.

He was currently looking through single folder, containing the Gotei's comprehensive collection of the reports and missions completed by one captain. How he had changed so from the war was beyond him. He'd been little more than a berserker when they'd fought together. Now... If that part of his history was contained within the biography as well, it would seem to tell the story of two completely different people.

But here it was, the timeline of a man who graduated in a time of geniuses, over the course of a year slowly working himself through the ranks before finally ascending to the Captain's seat. Something had happened to bring about such a change in the man, something powerful enough that it would change his entire outlook on existence and the value of life.

A mirthless chuckle escaped his lips once more before he found something that piqued his interest. The mission file wasn't spectacular in itself, it was merely a C-Rank hollow that had been purified by Rei and another Shinigami. But it still had information that he deemed to be valuable in itself. Blood-Runes for controlling hollows? Or on a more general view, could it be that they had more to do with the darker aspects of the soul? This definitely needs some more investigation... Simply put, combining this information with other pieces of research it could prove to be would likely be profitable, it was just a matter of putting the pieces together..

There was no sounds as he entered the room behind his master, nothing at all that would have let a normal person know that there was a new presence in the room. But Mugen could feel the man wherever he went, could feel the... absence, created by his very personage in the room. It was the only way to explain what the man created wherever he went. Every soul in existence created a presence by simple virtue of their emotions and perceptions. It was that presence that experienced fighters could pick up on and react to based on what they felt.

Chuurei on the other hand had no such aura around him. There wasn't even a feeling of presence surrounding him. A void was the only term that could be used for Chuurei as he moved through a crowd. It made him the perfect assassin when the need called for it. "There's been a development." His voice was like dried leather to the ears, making it that much more surprising when he ever broke his silence to the others. He never spoke without reason to others besides Mugen.

The white haired man never spoke to break the silence, still reading through the notes he'd unearthed while waiting for his subordinate to continue. Chuurei, who'd never bothered to reveal if he even had a last name, dusted his coat as he spoke, the open hakama revealing the numerous scars on his chest. "The captain you ordered to be observed has left Seireitei, apparently has been gone for some time."

What? How did something of this magnitude happen without his knowing? Why didn't any of those other bungling idiots alert him to this? Especially after he'd ordered him observed closely. Inside of his head he was furious, both at the fact that none had observed this rather glaring absence until now and that he simply didn't know. Outwardly, the only signal he gave that he was angered by the news was a narrowing of the eyes so miniscule that even the most observant person would miss the movement altogether.

Chuurei had been serving Mugendai long enough to recognize the signs, but was comforted in knowing that Mugen didn't have the flaw of killing the messenger that most evil villains tended to have. Still though, stepping cautiously couldn't hurt. "I've done some checking around for his location but it seems the list is short of people who actually know where he is... shall I check more... in-depth?"

Which meant he was asking permission to break the no-contact clause he'd ordered on the man. Their presence was too important a secret to have broken for anything other than the most subtle of observations. There had to have been something major to have made Rei leave... something... "Is he the only one who's gone missing from Seireitei?"

A brief quizzical expression was soon engulfed by the bland neutrality that Chuurei had perfected. It was easier to read the thoughts of a stone than this mans. "No sir. Four other captains disappeared around the same time. Seshiro, Junichi Terada, Jinsoku... and Shinkou Masaru." A slow steady breath was needed to keep Mugen calm in light of that. The timing of their disappearances might just be coincidence, a near impossible coincidence, but Mugendai had learned to not disregard anything straight out, especially chance happenings. If Rei did in fact leave with the man... it opened up all sorts of disturbing possibilities that would make things difficult in the future.

Which unfortunately called for more information than they had... he tapped his chin in thought before waving his hand dismissively. "Be discreet about it, it wouldn't be prudent to go this long without him knowing only to draw his eyes onto us because of your hobbies..." By the time his hand was back on the table tapping in thought, Chuurei was already gone, leaving only the shadows in his wake.

Looking through the papers and thinking on Chuurei's new mission, a dark grin that never touched his eyes crosses Mugen's lips. Now... how do these pieces go together...

xero_ghost

Mar 22, 2005
Antinimus
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Chapter 88: Honor among rogues.
Words: 1.27k

Kneeling low to the ground as she crouched against the wall, she tentatively placed a hand against the cold pavement, having long since lost any warmth from the sun this late in the pursuit. The resonance of reiatsu was beginning to dissipate into nothingness as its source moved further and further away. The Ryoka had been through these parts already, but how long since they'd moved on.

Signs of battle were beginning to be broadcast all over the airwaves, pointing towards highly ranked officers falling against these enemies who left little to no trace of their presence until they were forced to fight. By all details that could be gathered from their course, they were all making their way northward while trying to attract as little attention as possible.

But for what reason were they heading North? Was it Senzaikyuu like when the vizards had attacked? Or maybe something in the first division taishou. Which made absolutely no sense. If they were trying to avoid detection while getting there as soon as possible, they would have taken the north entrance. Or were they trying to lose the pursuit teams in the labyrinth of Seireitei...

Too many unanswered questions...

Looking to the north, towards the white tower of Senzaikyuu, she was torn between actually pursuing the ryoka or simply leaving it for the teams further ahead to pursue. If they hadn't been stopped yet by the unseated officers, than it was likely that the only role she would play would be to slow down their progress, possibly at the cost of her life as she'd seen left on the trail of one of them.

Or she could backtrack their trails to their point of entry, try to reason out the 'how' of how they'd penetrated the bloodstone walls. If they were going to place that much faith in the massive barrier, they needed to know how it was it had been circumvented without being outright destroyed. And if the OnKi or 8th Division were already investigating, another pair of eyes and ears never hurt.

The decision already made in her mind, she looked once more to the north as if sending a thought for Kyou to be careful, especially if the feeling in her gut proved right. She'd already had one of her friends disappear on her, she'd be ****ed if she let her little brother leave as well. Turning south hard, her feet carried her towards the South Gate as fast as she dared to move, not wanting to be burnt out when she arrived on the scene.

How much time passed she couldn't be sure, but all thoughts of Rei's leaving were banished from her mind in a single moment of shock, for inside the barriers of Seireitei any source of Reiryoku as large as that of a captain could be felt simply because the Bloodstone walls stifled the aura being sent outside, so their signatures could be felt anywhere within Seireitei. Almost as if meant to comfort the lower ranks simply with the knowledge of their presence.

But here and now, inside the walls of the Court, new signatures could be felt resounding through every facet of the court, that she could feel them from the North and the South was scary enough, but when many of them were on par with the captains, it became terrifying. When some of them far outstripped even their new Soutaichou? Things went beyond terrifying into the cataclysmic.

Focused on the new arrivals as she was, she was caught completely off guard when a footfall seemed to echo in her mind, drawing her attention behind her just in time to see the face of the voice as he spoke. "So they're making their move... that should make things easier." His clothes were nothing like a shinigami's garb, resembling those worn by the citizens on Rukongai than anything else. But the wear and tear... they were something that could only be gained from the constant struggle associated with the lowest districts.

How did he get so close to me? Who is he? Why is he here? Her mind raced with questions, not for the first time today. Taking a step backwards so she would have the time needed to draw her zanpaku and defend herself, she worked a question from her mind to her lips. "Who are you..." Whether it was too quiet from fear or the man simply took no notice of the question, Kori didn't know, but the man simply didn't respond.

His eyes were drawn southward, barely even keeping her in his peripheral vision as he idly continued speaking. Kori was no fool however, and knew that he was aware of every move she made, the aura around him was as cold as ice, sending shivers down her spine that had her reaching for her zanpaku to defend herself. Taking a step from the shadows, the other small details made themselves visible on the man.

His long, loosely gather hair obstructed his eyes, making it difficult to see be sure if he was really gazing towards the South Entrance, or was in fact keeping his eyes on her. He carried two sheathed blades on his back, their casing looking almost like the concealed swords once used by the Samurai on earth when they were outlawed. The pair being held in place by a single buckled strap that went across his chest and over his shoulder. His body and movements carried the deadly grace of a swordsman, hardly seeming to touch the ground.

"I was a little worried that it would be difficult to leave this place after the Ryoka had moved further north than I'd anticipated. But the new arrivals should suffice..." Her sword was drawn in a smooth motion and placed between them as she took a defensive stance, finally working the words to speak.

"Who are..." Instead of being ignored once more, she found herself being cut off as he replied to her question. ... not only is he creepy... he's a jerk...

"... but where are my manners. There you are politely waiting for me to introduce myself, and here I am rambling on about something of little consequence. I'm Chuurei. An associate of a friend of a friend of yours. I believe he was referring to himself as Rei Jiiro last I heard..." As he turned to look at her, one of his finally became visible through the tangle of hair that fell over his eyes. Like a mouse caught in the gaze of a serpent, she found herself frozen in place. "... Tell me where I can find him..." Almost as if on a whim, he finished. "... if you please..."

It almost felt like he was probing through her mind with his eyes fully on hers, as if pluming the depths of her soul for the answers he sought. The intrusive feeling was the final straw, snapping her out of the paralysis she had been in mere moments before with her entire body set to attack. "I wouldn't tell you if my life depended on it."

A frown crossed his face at that, quickly covered up as he fell back into the neutrality that she could only view as natural for him. "... that's too bad Kori. I was actually hoping that I wouldn't have to drag the information out of you. But it seems I have no choice..." And his first real smile crossed his face at the thought of bringing that information from her. And Kori knew fear had crept into her heart once more. "...but to hurt you for it."

xero_ghost

Mar 22, 2005
Antinimus
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Chapter 89: Honor among Rogues pt.II. Lightning Crashes
Words: 1.47k

As quickly as she sprung away, her blade was in front of her as she activated her shi kai. She had no illusions about the skill of her opponent, his simple presence this far inside Seireitei spoke volumes, and she wanted to take no chances in underestimating the man. "Haisou Chidori..." Her eyes never left the man, despite the fact that he was standing exactly where he had been, his posture turning to one of puzzled amusement. "You're not one of the Ryoka that came in... but you're a Ryoka. I'm bringing you in for questioning."

The figure before her faded into the shadows as a voice spoke from behind her. "But you see, I can't let that happen. Still too much to do, too much to see. You know how it is right?" Shadow Puppet... The seamless use of kidou and movement coloured a troubling picture. She had to stall him, or incapacitate him long enough to send for backup. His speed meant that escaping to lead him into an ambush wasn't an option.

"Bakudou #59, Trap Floor..." Her energy seeped into the ground and spider webbed out into the ground beneath them, the tendrils thick enough that it would actually hinder the usage of reiryouku in speeding up the body as long as you passed above it. It would slow the man's movements down, but whether it would be enough to level the playing field down was in question.

As if he could see them, Chuurei surveyed the ground beneath him as her kidou completed itself. Idly thinking out loud as he did so. "Hmmm... can't say I've used this one before. But judging by the way the kidouryouku moved through the ground, I'd have to say its not so much a binding spell as it... an impeding spell?" He looked to her with a question in his eyes before smirking again.

Drawing his swords in a single smooth motion, he closed the distance between them in a single thrust with the left sword, quickly followed by the right sword coming almost behind it. The loud ringing of steel on steel sounded as the blade was deftly pushed aside by Chidori, timing the defense to both blades to the left at the same time.

Instead of trying to halt the motion or even force her back, Chuurei spun to his right with the right sword leading, ducking low to cut out her legs from under her. The smirk that crossed his lips as she hopped over the strike was visible as he continued the spin for the next attack, adding momentum to the already powerful thrust from his left sword, aiming to stab her while she was caught in midair.

The tip of the blade impacted the side of Chidori loudly, pressing the blade against her even with her off hand bracing the other side of the sword. Caught in midair against the strike the momentum sent her back through the air with the force of a wrecking ball, crashing through one of the white walls of Seireitei. Standing amidst the wreckage as the dust cleared, the anger was palpable in Kori's eyes, seeming to roll off of her in waves as she furiously thought of how she could keep the situation from getting out of control.

The stinging in her arm was minor, wouldn't hamper her in any way. But from that one blow, the strength of the enemy was becoming clearer by the second. But he's underestimating me still... he hasn't unsealed his zanpaku yet. Unwilling to lose the offensive, Chuurei was through the hole and on the women's defenses before she could set herself. His pair of blades wove staggering routines, giving Kori small nicks and cuts before her defenses could push offending blade away.

The man's movements kept pushing her back consistently, each step bring the man closer, only to step to the side to avoid the cutting edges of her blade. With every ring of metal created by their clashing steel, Kori began to weave the sound waves so subtly that the it was impossible to detect. Her control of her zanpaku's ability growing to such a point that only the sophisticated of equipment was able to detect what she was doing.

Hardly noticeable at first, even to someone as aware of every aspect of his body as Chuurei., the difference in his balance was the fine edge of a blade. Not enough to get him killed, but just enough that her defenses kept his swords from hitting their targets with every strike. Giving her just enough room to breath that the difference in their sword skills would not decide the fight.

After enough strikes had connected between the blades, Kori knew that enough subtle damage had been done to the man that she could use her next attack. As her sword ripped through the air, it screamed with the shrill blast of nails on a chalkboard. With no defenses against the attack, Chuurei's world turned upside down on him as his very sense of balance was disrupted, playing havoc on the nerves through his body while the conflicting signals from all over his body battled each other.

Unwilling to stop there, Kori's free hand moved with the words she incanted, ensuring that the blast spell she used would be at maximum power. The damage to his ear canals was only the beginning of what she had in mind, and she needed to take advantage of the situation before it turned on her. As her recitation finished, the final symbol fell into place as the kidou came together, lightning seeming to gather in the air in preparation for the strike as she added the final touch. "... Hadou #63, Raikouhou"

Exploding through not one wall, but tearing through to destroy the wall behind it as well, it was impossible to see the man through all of the debris after the lightning kidou did its work. Unwilling to take the chance that the man was unharmed, Kori went through the incantation for another high-grade hadou, ensuring that the man was down for the count before she closed in on him.

"Cry, heavy storm. Rebel in the skies, and let your fury be known." The minute clouds began to form over the spot where Chuurei had impacted, the lights already flashing from within. "Shimmer your memory into the weary traveler and burn your ill omen into their mind's eye. Hadou #79, Banrai" With the final command spoken, the massive bolt of lightning tore into the earth, scorching the earth near its impact zone before the power still in the air continued the smaller assaults, crackling and flashing into the earth before fading away into the wind.

The force from the spell had blown the debris away from the impact zone, making it clear for Kori as she passed through the hole in the first wall and stopped outside of the crater caused by her attacks. Breathing was difficult after using such draining in quick succession, but she still breathed easier at what she found within, she reached within her pocket for her radio transceiver to call in a support team. Keeping her eyes on the man, she took note of his condition to be sure that he wasn't in fact playing possum. "This is Yamada Kori, one Ryoka down in the South Central area..."

Both strikes had hit dead center, leaving black marks on his chest that had small spaces where each bolt had struck, almost as if someone had drawn two black blossoms in ash. He'd dropped his pair of blades after the second kidou struck, the pair of them lying beside his hands where he lay. He seemed to be breathing softly, not in any danger of being dead despite being struck by both attacks head on.

The thought of finishing him off crossed her mind, but was squashed immediately as the need for information far outweighed the need for the man's death. Taking care of the threat to Rei before it ever found him was important, but even more so was finding out who the man worked for and what they were after with Rei. As she was about to turn to focus on giving the report to the operator, one of Chuurei's swords tore by her head, taking with it the radio pressed against her ear.

Turning back to the unsteadily rising foe, Kori could just make out his words as he quietly spoke to himself. "Can't believe I didn't notice those sonic attacks before the big one... Rukunetsu will never let me live it down..." He looked towards her, amused anger shone in his eyes at this point as he clutched the sword in his right hand. "Guess I'll be taking you seriously now huh... Let's strangle her Matsutakazura..."

xero_ghost

Mar 22, 2005
Antinimus
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Chapter 90: Honor among rogues. Pt III, Demonic Grasp.
Words: 1.01k

As he sprung forward with a newfound vigour, his sword took on the customary light for the moment it transformed, revealing in its place a bokken as he stabbed again. Kori brought her sword up to deflect the blow once more, only to have Chuurei twist his grip on the handle, moving the zanpaku to slide around her guard to place the a barely noticeable cut on her shoulder, bringing a cruel grin to his face as his left hand shot out and shoved her back to the wall.

Warmth spread from the cut before she felt it, something moving from the cut and spreading underneath her skin. Another moment passed before three tendrils shot out from the cut and wrapped themselves around her shoulder. Screaming in pain as she grabbed at the shoots, she tore them from the wound quickly before they could spread further, only to feel another cut placed on her forearm in her moment of distraction. The process repeated itself in painful fashion on her forearm at the same time that new shoots began to emerge from the wound on her shoulder.

"Matsutakazura doesn't really possess any special attacks in her repertoire. But what she does have is the ability to create a coat of spores on her blade. These spores can be harmless most of the time, except when they're introduced into the blood of someone with reiryouku. Then they're growth becomes something terrifying. The plants are called Demon Creepers. They'll continue to spread throughout your body, inside and out, taking in all of your blood and reishi until only a withered husk remains."

Secure in the situation, he almost felt a twinge of sympathy as Kori struggled to halt the spread of the vines as their growths came out faster and faster. The twinge of sympathy that always came when people fell victim to Matsutakazura. By the time he'd finished explaining what they were, tendrils had already spread themselves over her forearms, almost as if they were conscious of what was impeding their growth. "Tell me where Rei is, you need not die to protect his secret."

She fell to her knees as the vines began to take their toll on her power, stealing what it could to accelerate its own growth, her zanpaku clattering to the ground as her right arm hung limply by her side. Her lips moved, but Chuurei could hardly make out what she was saying. Whether it was mad gibberish from panic he didn't know, even when she spoke a little louder he couldn't make it out.

Stepping close enough to kneel in front of her, he asked her once more as the vines neared her shoulders. She would die soon after that if it wasn't halted, so he needed to get the answer from her now. "Where is he? I can stop this..." He would too, his twisted sense of honor would keep him from breaking his word once given.

Kori looked him in the eyes with a hatred burning in her eyes. Anger at herself for betraying the information, and pure hatred for this ******* making her reveal it. "With Masaru..." But she would live through this shame if she had to. She would come back to haunt this ******* and kill him if it was the last thing she did.

Reaching to the bases of the creepers, Chuurei touched them once to quickly send in a piece of his reiatsu that would negate their function. It was the only protection he himself had against the spores, for what good would it be to go and die from his own zanpaku's ability. Watching them wither and die, he remained in position for a moment to ensure they were dead, sealing Matsutakazura in the process. It was a moment too long as Kori used the chance to stab the man in the stomach with Chidori.

A line of blood escaped from the corner of his lips as he locked eyes with Kori, the anger mirrored in both of their eyes as his hand clasped the hilt over her hand. Lashing forward with a vicious head butt, the woman fell to the ground unconscious while Chuurei pulled the blade from his abdomen. Glad for his distrustful nature, he sheathed his sword while holding his hand over the wound. He'd kept her from stabbing any vital points at the last second, but it was still only prudent to stem the bleeding with the base level chiyodu he knew. He didn't want to leave even a drop of his own blood behind as evidence of who he was.

Never mind that he'd told her his name, the Gotei had no records of the Alias he had taken on since leaving. But they might actually have records of his blood type and DNA, which meant that he needed to be careful. He walked over to his thrown sword before replacing it in its sheathe. With a scornful look towards Kori, he gave a rueful shake of his head while speaking aloud. "Be glad that you confirmed what I'd come for..."

He left off at that, instead inspecting the scene for any traces of his identity that needed to be disposed of. Burning spilt blood on the ground with Yakekoge, destroying it to a simple char on the ground. Once he was positive nothing had been left behind, he turned away from the scene and disappeared the same way he'd arrived. Into the shadows. Mugen would want the confirmation as soon as possible, if only to know what had happened to the target.

Help would arrive minutes later in the form of a three-man team, dispatch having been worried at the circumstances behind the sudden and abrupt end to her report. Securing the area and ensuring that she wasn't in any danger, they quickly called in with the new details of what the scene entailed. All the while Kori remained unconscious, even as a medic team brought her into the third division for treatment, where she would remain for the duration of the attack by the espada and Sine Que Non.

Patreon

Writing Week is 502

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis