RP Character Name Analyses

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started
D

Djudge

Since the first one died a horrible, non-updated death, I hereby christen the second name analysis thread for all Isshindensetsu characters!

Toss in your PC's and NPC's and I'll eventually edit them in here for everyone to take a gander at (format hard to follow?):

==================================================​

Fujiwara 不治笑 Ako 吾子
(Coming Soon)

Fuyutsuki 冬月 Nimuro ニ室
1. Nimuro was initially a peasant child that did not even possess/remember his name upon entering Rukongai. He was adopted by the noble Fuyutsuki family of Seireitei and he was taught to write while in the academy.​
2. The noble family which adopted Nimuro was noted for being established during the deepest freeze in the history of Soul Society. It had been so cold that the moon itself seemed frozen in the night sky hence "Fuyu" for "winter" and "tsuki" for "moon."​
3. Nimuro's earliest memory of his childhood in Rukongai involved playing in the marketplaces of West Rukongai. His favorite hangout was between two large coldhouses were meat was hung in storage, hence "Ni" for "two" and "muro" for "coldhouse."​

Maehara 前原 Junko 俊子
1. A strange family name consisting of the kanji for "front" and "plan." Maybe it suggests that the lineage holds a plan at the forefront at any given moment? Fits in with their militaristic past.​
2. The first kanji in her given name, "Jun," means "perfection" and the last part, "ko" is the kanji for "child." Simply put, she is the "daughter of perfection," and it's quite the fitting name given her rise to the top of the Keigun by her early teenage years.​

Ohara 小腹 Aya
(Coming Soon)

Otono 音野 Kanoko 佳残
1. Put together, the kanji that make up "Otono" mean "sound" and "field" respectively. This is an allusion to the legends of her family's founding and traditional music playing in the crisp winter fields of Northern Rukongai.​
2. Her given name is split into two parts, "Ka" which denotes "excellence" and "beauty" and "noko" which is written with the kanji to "remain." It would seem to call for an everlasting state of both success and happiness for her.​

Seiji 盛時 Yasuo 休オ
1. The surname "Seiji" means "era of prosperity." This is probably for a measure of good luck given Seiji's impovershed childhood.​
2. Seiji can also be a pun on the English word, "sage."​
3. Yasuo's name is also spelt in a humorous manner. The kanji "yasu" as intended by Yasuo means "tranquil" or "at peace." However, the correct way to write it is actually "" which uses more strokes. "" is also pronounced as "yasu" however it means to "to take a break" or "to sleep." Seems like someone got lazy when writing their own name... Additionally, the second character in Yasuo's name is written in katakana "", as opposed to the proper hiragana "."Strange, but again, according to him, it takes less time to write out on government letters. (Why doesn't he just get a stamp/seal?)​

Todoko 届子 Kenji 剣慈
(Coming Soon)

Tsurumaki 鶴槇 Hiro 非路
1. Both parts of his surname are written with the kanji for two familiar sights in the area of Rukongai where he grew up. "Tsuru" for the wild cranes and "maki" for the black pine forests.​
2. Hiro's name is written in a fashion that isn't seen used very often for names. The first kanji is a prefix which denotes "faulty or non-" and the second kanji is one used for "road or path."A very liberal, and ominous, interpretation could say that from birth, Hiro's been on a wrong path?​

Yoshida 由拿 Kikuchi 菊千
(Coming Soon)

ミケル

Oct 3, 2005
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Kokuei, Diaz (コクエイ, ヂアズ)
Kokuei is actually spelt with the characters 国営, which literally spell 'State Management'. However, Diaz prefers the spelling of his last name in Katakana, and translates it as "Silhouette", which is another meaning for the word Kokuei. Diaz is not a Japanese name, and thus is always spelt in Katakana.

Diaz is a slight change in spelling of the Portuguese last name "Dias". Its unknown whether this was an intentional name or a random one.

Mar 19, 2005
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
天川創剣

Amagawa Sougen

"Amagawa" (天川) is the shorthand version of "ama no kawa/gawa" (天の川). A strict translation would put it as "heaven river," or "a river of heaven." "Amanogawa" is the Japanese name for the Milky Way galaxy.

1. A galaxy is a formation of countless stars, or if you may, innumerous suns. It is ironic that though a galaxy has so many, the stars or suns can only be seen in the night. This alludes to his personality in that though he may seem dark and cold from the outside, if one examines him long and hard enough, then one may find a warm and honest disposition.

2. Since a galaxy is, again, a formation of many stars, it can be said that all the stars inside are people that he has obligated himself to protect and preserve.

3. The meaning "heaven river" is held in parallel with the fabled Sanzu no Kawa, or the Japanese Buddhist version of the River Styx. The deceased are said to cross the Sanzu by way of paying a fee to an old ferry lady, of whose name varies from many sources. This alludes to Amagawa Sougen's occupation as a Shinigami, and thus he is given the responsibility to guide the deceased (Plus souls) to Soul Society.

4. "Amagawa" also alludes to the maiden family name of his biological mother on Earth, "Seiun," which itself literally means "star cloud," or "galaxy."​

"Sougen" (創剣) has two Kanji meaning "origin" and "sword" respectively. Note that the Japanese word for sword, "ken," is rarely, if ever, pronounced as "gen." This is attributed to the lineage of the name, which spans back to early Japanese history, and along the way, the "ken" may have been emphasized to be pronounced as "gen" in order make it flow phonetically better with "Amagawa."

1. "Sougen" is a homonym for another Japanese word, "草原," which means "grass-covered plains." This has a direct tie to his Zanpakutou, Tsuyukusa, which means "dew on grass," or "a dew drop on a blade of grass." It's also connected to a vivid vision of expansive, grass-covered plains in which priests, involved in imbuing the spirit of Tsuyukusa into the Zanpakutou, have seen in the arrival of the spirit.

2. The kanji for "sou" (創) has both the meanings of "origin" and "wound." Two other homonymic Kanji for "sou" are "勦" and "偬," which mean "destroy" and "suffer" respectively. In this way, one can take all the meanings into a single phrase for the name: "the sword that destroys the origin of pain and suffering." Such a meaning could either mean life (take away pain and suffering through protection) or death (take away pain and suffering through killing), hence: "the sword that gives life and death."

3. "Sougen," or "origin sword," alludes to Tsuyukusa's single ability, which endows Amagawa with unwavering focus, and the ability to discern the enemy's movements and their origins. Coupled with the meaning of the homonymic kanji "勦," this can translate into "the sword that destroys the origin," or more loosely (and more in context), "the sword that counters the origin of the enemy's movements."

4. "Gen" also has the meaning of "origin," or "source." Kirishima Sougen, Amagawa's ancestor and the creator of his Zanpakutou, has "創源" for his first name, which means "origin source." This makes sense in that Kirishima Sougen was the man that started the "Sougen" lineage. "創源," by switching the meaning of "sou" to "wound," can also translate to "the origin of pain," which alludes to the traumatic childhood Amagawa went through in his early years on Earth.​

~​

Yeah, it's long @_@. I'll probably add some more meanings/analysis and stuff for NPCs later.

Drag

Mar 13, 2005
In your brains, taking your knowledge
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I'll add in mine later...but here they are for that most part.

Kyin Fenre

Kyin basically was a name I came up with on my own, but it was a mix from a name that meant wolf too. Kyin's name is also a spin off Kin and Ky to words that happen to ring with his character. The other reasons I gave him this name are:

1. Wolves are my favorite animals.

2. Kyin has a strong sense of friendship but doesn't care if he has to be alone.

3. Kyin's zanpakutou was first going to be the incarnation of a wolf. However, I later changed it.

4. Kyin is an extremely loyal person.

Fenre is a play off the word, Fenrir. Basically, Fenre was the son of Loki in Norse mythology that killed Odin. I gave him this because:

1. Goes with Kyin theme.

2. Basically, Kyin fights with Delano, who is a very respected person to his clan. And just like Fenrir had the power to kill Odin, Kyin wants the power to kill Delano...or at least will in the future.

3. Before Ragnorok, Fenrir was bound to a giant boulder because of the trouble he'd caused. Kyin has been "bound" inside himself for some time now.

Tyr

Kyin's alter ego. Tyr's name was a simple play off Kyin's. Since Kyin's name was based off the name of the wolf demon, Fenrir, I based Tyr's namesake off the Norse god that was able to chain Fenrir up. And as the man last an arm in the process, the Tyr in my RP lost the control over his own self.

Lin Amherst

Lin, comes from Linda, which means Pretty one. I was just thinking of an old friend of mine when I made her. As for Amherst, Lin is of french descent so I wanted a last name to show that. Not sure if its French or English though.

Delano

Delano basically means dark. That basically fits the man, overall. Not only in his zanpakutou in his mannerisms, but who he is. He is someone who has basically sold his soul to achieve his goals. Though i have a bit more to add on as time passes. For now, however, that is all that is needed.

stgm

Oct 26, 2005
In BF, when I can.
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
My names have little significance. Hamano Taiki came from a name convertor. :)

xero_ghost

Mar 22, 2005
Antinimus
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Rei Jiiro地色

I basically chose these names for two reasons..

1) It sounded right when i thought of the character i created..

2) I wanted to convey that Rei's character had very little grounding during his travels, indicating that he'd been searching for a purpose for some time..

since Rei (零) = Zero and Jiiro (地色) = Grounded, Earth

Tenshirou

Jul 17, 2005
Kyuubantai Honbu, possibly under Junichi's paperwo
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Tenshirou 天死郎

Ahh Tenshirou. His name meaning isn't too original it's just that when it's written it's weird. Tenshirou's name is actually made up of things that Shion (the girl that gave him the name) saw. When he was found he was wearing what was left of a tattered overcoat over his ragged robes that carried a large "天" ten, or heaven character on the back. Since he died supposedly recently she added the "死" Shi or Death part, and added "郎" Rou, a common ending for boy's names from her time period.

The original draft of Tenshirou is actually from another story I had started writing up and he didn't have a last name. The last name "火雨" Hisame, is something that sort of came to me. Possibly because of my fondness of the character Shizumaru Hisame from Samurai Spirits. However, the way it's written is very uncommon. It's usually written with the character "氷" Hyou, which represents Ice or freezing, instead of the character "火" Hi, for Fire. The "雨" Same for rain, is the same in both of them, though you get two different meanings though they're pronounced the same way. Tenshirou really doesn't use his last name very often.

Hisame火雨 Tenkuumaru 天空丸

Coming soon.

Scaccarii

Coming soon.

Natsume夏目 Jun俊

Jun Natsume sort of came to me. I always thought Natsume as a good name after seeing "万能文化猫娘" Bannou Bunka Neko-Musume or Super Cat Girl Nuku Nuku to the American public (it's what the series is released as). Anyway, Natsume was a definite must. The "Care" part of his name showed he wasn't just somebody but a guy who really does care about people. The "summer" part of it makes it seem warm and kind. I liked the way it turned out.

As for "Jun", the name sort of dropped out of my head. I forgot where I'd originally heard the name from, but once it came to me it stuck. So, upon looking up possible name meanings, the character for "俊" Jun as a Genius was rather amusing. After all, medical knowledge is a bit hard to swallow so I guess it fits well. He's intellectual and practical, though has a bit of his own motives, fits very well.

Charlette Edwards

Well it's always spelled in english and I only spell it in Katakana when I'm using her name in titles. My main reason for choosing a name like Charlette, was because I'd developed the character way before I even gave her a name. Charlette, was easy to change into "Charlie" or "Charles" for her personality and current status as a shinigami. I wanted a very tomboy-ish character but one that could be girly given the proper circumstances. The spelling of it is very deliberate too. It's Charlette instead of Charlotte because, like Tenshirou and just about all the character I have, their names aren't spelled in a very common manner.

Edwards was a nice addition. As stated earlier, I had developed the character way before the name so when coming up with a last name I knew I wanted it to sound "English" as in "British" but not so much so that it would be awkward. I'm not sure about the commonness of the last name of "Edwards" but I do like it for various reasons. One of them being my father's name is "Edward". Another is that there's an "Edwards Air Force Base" that does testing for Flight Research and the like. I guess I stuck that in with Charlette's somewhat reckless initial personality. Lastly "Edwards" has the name meaning of "wealthy guardian", and with Charlette's noble family (she's the heir to the noble family of Rangetsu), I thought it'd fit well enough with everything else stated already.

Kagami 鏡 Hideki栄光

To be truthful, Hideki is an old creation of mine from my days in Yahoo. Technically the same person, he's less vengeful and more teacher like. The name "鏡" Kagami or mirror, that I use for his last name isn't really significant. I guess you could say he's a mirror image of what Tenshirou might end up being like when he grows older, but that's stretching it a bit far. I see the Kagami bit as being a mirror of all things good in a single individual as well as all bad things. A balance, a reflection of how one can become either a saintly sage or a vengeful spirit. Though I haven't actually written him like that, I'll probably delve into it in a flashback side story.

"栄光" Hideki, was pretty obvious of me at the time I came up with him. I'm a very light element oriented individual and those who've known me from the time I came up with him could pretty much tell where the influence came from. As his name signifies, "Honorable Light", Hideki himself is a very honor oriented person. His disregard of the Bushido virtues in favor of a following of the Confucian virtues is a major sign of it. As the Bishido virtues promise undying loyalty to the master no matter what, good or bad, the Confucian virtues teach loyalty to one's own beliefs and to better one's self; which I guess in a sense is pretty honorable.

[More to Come]

Faceless_fool

Mar 20, 2005
DC.
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Nakamura, Kaito​

'Center of the village', Big dipper of the ocean.

Actualy, i pulled the name from a random name generator, but later on i bassed a good deal of Kaito's troubles on it. I wont say what, cause that would ruin my story for everyone.

Refference one: 'Center of the Village' is a refference to the Obsidian Project: Kaito is, literaly, the center of the village inside his body. the many voices screaming inside his soul, out of all of those, he is the center of that world, the center of that village. the refference is also something to do with his highly defensive stance to soul socity.

kunoichi

Feb 5, 2005
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Inazuma 稲妻 Shizuka 静か

1. A surname that isn't really a surname, Inazuma was in fact a nickname given to Shizuka during her years in the Rukongai citizens' resistance forces in District 59 of West Rukongai at the time of the first Great Hollow War. The name means 'flash of lightning', and was given to her in jest because of her habitual fighting style -- in both physical and verbal sparring. She was known for hanging back until presented with the perfect opportunity to strike, when a sudden flash of steel or sarcasm could stop someone in their tracks. Not even Shizuka herself remembers when exactly the nickname was given to her or who used it first, but she began using it as her surname when she was transferred to the recon unit of the resistance forces. When asked her name by the registration official, she answered "Shizuka" and was asked, "Which Shizuka?" To which she replied unthinkingly, "Inazuma Shizuka," since the nickname was the only other way she was identified within the ranks. The name went down on her record and it was easier to simply adopt it as her surname than to go through the bureaucracy to get it corrected.

2. Shizuka is a fairly common name for girls, meaning 'quiet', which suits her personality well. It was the name that Shizuka carried over from her life in the living world.

Motomeru 求める Kouketsu 高潔 & Kaigen 開眼

1. The surname Motomeru, which Ketsu shared with his brother Kaigen, means 'to seek' or 'to wish for' something -- a state common among the impoverished inhabitants of District 59, where the brothers found themselves upon arrival in Soul Society.

2. Kouketsu's first name means 'purity', while Kaigen's means 'enlightenment'. Both names, in combination with their surname, suggest to some extent the prime motivations that drive each brother.

S

Saffire

I'll add in kanji later, if I remember to come back for it. :p

Ryuichi - first son of Ryu, a tidbit I incorporated that into my earlier story.
Masaki - basically stole it from the Tenchi Muyo series, dunno if it has any special meaning.

Tsukikage - moonlight

Arashi - tempest

pheonixfire

Sep 21, 2005
Pressed up against Dar ^__^
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Meigetsu

Actually her name isn't a proper name, its just a word that means "harvest moon". But then again this isn't her real name either, so it doens't really matter as much I guess. I picked something that meant "harvest moon" because that is what my chinese name translates into. I guess my char is a really exaggerated version of me...well minus the crazy murders and so on.

D

dar

Takero Idaten is a name i made up by ccombinig to different words. i don't even know whether i did it right or wrong. Takero Idaten translates to Fierce Warrior.

Kishyotai

Dec 12, 2005
In in ur base, killin ur doodz (lawl)
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
[∙//]Jinte, Nifuji - 神手, 二封人

∙//Jinte - 'God Hand'

Jin means 'god' in this instantce, but if used as a suffix, then it's the widely-known -jin. This suffix is added after a race or a country to show one's origins in that country (Super Saiya-jin, Amerika-jin, Nihon-jin). So, another translation of this could be 'Person Hand', if the kanji was omitted.

'Te' means 'palm, hand, finger'. 'God Finger' brings one too many sexual innuendos to my mind, all of them not board-approved.

∙//Nifuji - 'Twice-sealed Person'

An ironic note is that, when talking about people, usually the word 'futari' is used for 'two people'. So, if one were to look at this word in a semi-abstract way, 'nifuji' could mean 'two pairs of people'. As his plot develops (and whenever I get an idea for said plot...) This pun will make more sense.

[∙//]Nifuji's Duality - Relates to how Nifuji acts towars certain people (will develop in Volume 41 and onward, after Nifuji attains Shi Kai)

∙//Sumaiyaru Noumen - スマヤル能面

-Meaning 'Mask of Smiles', this has two puns in its name. The first is that 'smile' is in katakana, while the Japanese surely have a name for it. Katakana is used for ideas and words that are alien to the Japanese, and this suggests that smiling, as an act, is alien to Nifuji.
-The second is that the word 'noumen' is the word for a mask used in nou theater. So, this suggests that when Nifuji is smiling, he is in theater and is just pretending to be someone else.

∙//Ichijirushii Namida - 著しい涙

-Tears'. While it suggests that Nifuji's sorrows are stronger than others, if one takes 'striking' in the sense of attacking, then it also means 'Attacking Tears'. This pun suggests that Nifuji always attacks when he is crying.
-Sorry. No pun on Namida.

∙//Zanpaku - ???

*Mutters curses about not having Shi Kai yet*
(^Will edit once Shi Kai has been attained^)

Jei

Nov 1, 2005
fluffy clouds
www.anistudios.com
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Shimizu Takuya - 清水卓彌​

清水: Shimizu

Mizu is water while Shimizu means water of a spring or Pure Water. I chose this name as individuals with a "Water Personality" often reflect on the world, independent, wise as they spend time thinking about life and have a preference to rest in isolation. With the shi in front of mizu, I wanted to carry the notion that he was pure in character, without a tarnished innocence in the world.

卓彌: Takuya
Takuya means 'Eminent Person' This name I selected out of preference of the sound but it also means Eminent which is a distinguished person or prominent individual. I'm not sure how this fits into Takuya as a character as of current.

ximena

Jun 12, 2005
philippines
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Masayume Houmuru
1. Masayume - It means a dream that comes true. Ever since Yume (nickname) died when she was young, she had been carrying this name as her first name. Because she was still small when she died, she doesn't exactly know why she was named like that.

Other reason:
It goes with my zanpakutou theme XD

2. Houmuru - Houmuru means "to bury; to inter; to entomb; to consign to oblivion; to shelve;" however, the meaning which her last name carries is "to consign to oblivion." Houmuru wasn't really her last name, but she started using it when she travelled all over rukongai after her caretaker was killed. Houmuru is a verb, but she used it as a noun. Yume thinks that the meaning suits her life very well. All of her previopus caretakers had been killed except for one who was currently missing. It was as if she was consigned to oblivion. "Houmuru" originally came from the pendant which Eidan, her caretaker, had given her.

tristian48227

Aug 9, 2005
In the world of the living
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Point Juyken

Juyken
Well there there is nothiung special about my character name since I stole his first name from Naruto which they translate as Gentle fist.

Point
Just an english name I thought would fit Juyken

Zanpakutou: Tenshime

Tenshi: means angel. This was because Juyken mother was killed long ago and she still watched over him as Angel the watches over gods subjects over time.

Me:means Eye(s): When Juyken was confiend by the terriable grip of the mind spider that his father implated inside of him, his zanpakutou wathced over him and protected him from any harm. Her eyes saw danger and her body fought to protect Juyken from it.

That's all i got for now...will update later

Patreon

Writing Week is 312

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis