Schools all over?

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Latens
11✦
Exa
⏆359
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Okay so as of current there are only 5 schools with five skills in each that are progressive with no specializing branch skill trees in any of them.
Could it maybe be possible in the future to add more school skill trees or at least ad specializing branches to the origional skill trees so there's more diversity in advances? I'm just asking because I see similar things like that in other MMORPGS and wonder if that could be added to this WMMORPG.

Just curious. And hopeful... and maybe begging. <.<

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
1,856✦
Exa
⏆902
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
102⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
5⍫
Vitatium
15⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Okay so as of current there are only 5 schools with five skills in each that are progressive with no specializing branch skill trees in any of them.
Could it maybe be possible in the future to add more school skill trees or at least ad specializing branches to the origional skill trees so there's more diversity in advances? I'm just asking because I see similar things like that in other MMORPGS and wonder if that could be added to this WMMORPG.

Just curious. And hopeful... and maybe begging. <.<
You'd have to give some kind of example before we can really answer.

Regarding diversity, though... even if we assume characters only take 4 skills each (they are not limited to 4), and without including differences in how good they are in each skill, there are 12,650 possible combinations of our existing skills.

Rob

Pew Pew Pew
Apr 1, 2009
Latens
10,403✦
Exa
⏆3,510
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
To add to Will: use your imagination.

Even if there aren't hard capped branches, and even if there won't be added anything to the game in terms of other skills, you can seriously just create your own character's skill tree.

Plus, we're not a video game.

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Latens
11✦
Exa
⏆359
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
In response to Rob's last comment I am well aware that this is not a 'video game' per say, but I'm pretty sure it fits the credentials to be considered an MMORPG Massively multi-player (lots of potential people could play/write) its online, and you role play, plus I'm pretty sure its some form of game. Also what really defines a video game anyway?

As far as examples go dear administrator, I know that there's lots of combinations you can make with about 25 skills but when I ask for more things I'm asking for are simply more skills in the trees I guess. I mean because as fast as everyone seems to be advancing along theri skill there's only five levels to go with each skill and save for the arcane schools there's only about five techniques to use in each I believe.
I'm wondering if other abilities and skills can be added in each of the trees and disciplines, for example back in HD there were crazy amount of techniques and of course thousands of techniques in each of the kidou trees, and I'd like to see that again in all of the branches. Not just the arcane schools but in the other physical disciplines as well. Thats what I meant when I asked the question.
But as far as the feat thing, and the pretty magic stuffs I noticed in chat yesterday, I'm interested in that stuff as well but that was not the point of my question. =)

Rob

Pew Pew Pew
Apr 1, 2009
Latens
10,403✦
Exa
⏆3,510
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
You're forgetting the most crucial part in your arguments: points.

It took me well over four, five years to get Nana to 100k reiatsu. That's equivalent to two (2) skills brought to mastery. You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. You're limiting yourself to what you see, instead of taking what you see and broadening your horizons with it.

Also, most of the techniques you refer to from HD were in fact player-submitted unique or trained techniques/feats. HD's skills were just as bland as PT's, even blander even, and they only needed you to invest 10k into the skill to master.

GG.

Nutella

Homoerotic Subtext
May 27, 2011
Middle Earth
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
So like... what other skills do you really need that's not gonna be (1) just some kinky-sounding skill (2) practical in the game and (3) others would actually invest time and energy on?

I mean come on, it's not like PT doesn't have enough as it is.

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Latens
11✦
Exa
⏆359
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Feats is something that I'd like to see and I know they were mostly user submitted so that's not really the core of my question. My thing was more about potentially adding new skill trees or adding more skills per skill level in the already existing skill trees.
But if its possible to submit new skill trees in the submission section: A) I prolly should have checked it first before I posted the question, B) I'll just do what lambo suggested.

Also in response to nella's question: I'd suggest a possible Ninja/thief class
or maybe something akin to one of the old 9th division's division techniques that allowed a player to analyze a technique and exploit it legitimately.
A ranger skill tree that would be for characters that may prefer to do their writing for the most part in the wilderness.
Examples: Trail-Adept
A ranger must be well acquainted with the forest and be observant enough to pick out the most minute details to find food and shelter. This often means following the trails of animals or people. The character can use their powers of deduction to pick up on even the most minute of physical details in any area to track an animal, vistra, or human. This allows for one trail to be followed per activation and requires 100 vigor for each round it is active. This skill can be used once per collab at the Adept level on physical evidence, (sound, sight, taste, smell, sensation). At each level after Adept it is increased by one more use capping at three; it can also be enhanced with terra regia pulvuris to include arcane evidence as well.

The Assassin-Sub tree from Puglis
Shadowy and mysterious is the way of the assassin and difficult are they to spot. A secret society holds these masters of mystery and disguise together while a few rouges do exist outside of the illicit institutions reach they are far and few in-between. Their preferred weapons of choice are fat short blades, usually tipped with some kind of poison or various hand weapons.

Last edited:

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
1,856✦
Exa
⏆902
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
102⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
5⍫
Vitatium
15⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Feats is something that I'd like to see and I know they were mostly user submitted so that's not really the core of my question. My thing was more about potentially adding new skill trees or adding more skills per skill level in the already existing skill trees.
But if its possible to submit new skill trees in the submission section: A) I prolly should have checked it first before I posted the question, B) I'll just do what lambo suggested.

Also in response to nella's question: I'd suggest a possible Ninja/thief class
or maybe something akin to one of the old 9th division's division techniques that allowed a player to analyze a technique and exploit it legitimately.
A ranger skill tree that would be for characters that may prefer to do their writing for the most part in the wilderness.
Examples: Trail-Adept
A ranger must be well acquainted with the forest and be observant enough to pick out the most minute details to find food and shelter. This often means following the trails of animals or people. The character can use their powers of deduction to pick up on even the most minute of physical details in any area to track an animal, vistra, or human. This allows for one trail to be followed per activation and requires 100 vigor for each round it is active. This skill can be used once per collab at the Adept level on physical evidence, (sound, sight, taste, smell, sensation). At each level after Adept it is increased by one more use capping at three; it can also be enhanced with terra regia pulvuris to include arcane evidence as well.

The Assassin-Sub tree from Puglis
Shadowy and mysterious is the way of the assassin and difficult are they to spot. A secret society holds these masters of mystery and disguise together while a few rouges do exist outside of the illicit institutions reach they are far and few in-between. Their preferred weapons of choice are fat short blades, usually tipped with some kind of poison or various hand weapons.

What you're describing would fall under Style Feats or Guild Specializations.

Each character can learn one Trained Feat, one Style Feat, and one Unique Feat (which would be player-subbed).
http://www.postterminus.com/content.php?346-Character-Based-Abilities-%28Feats%29

In addition, after registering a guild, the guild leader can submit two unique techs that will be available to members who join. http://www.postterminus.com/market.php?do=storecat&storeid=46

As for the comparison between HD and PT, you're a little mistaken. All of the skill trees had 5 techs, except kidou which had the potential for 198 total spells. In HD, though, there were 10 total skills between the four races. 9 skills with 5 techs plus one with 198 spells, for 243 total techs that were not feat-limited.

In PT, each skill tree has 5 techs, each race has an additional 5 techs, and each spell tree has up to 25 spells. Even accounting for the large reduction in spells, the overall number of techs, before feats or guild specs, is 245 (4 x 5 racials, 20 x 5 skills, 5 x 25 spells). However, the skills have a better distribution. In HD, 198 out of 243 were tied to one skill out of ten total.

In PT, each skill has a distinct style and value, all viable.

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Latens
11✦
Exa
⏆359
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Okay, I think I understand what you're saying now. But I am still curious as for spells now. Are those techniques in the arcane line up the only ones that will exist in those schools? Making so that for more to be introduced a guild would have to be created? Or could those current five schools have spells added to them?

Several Zombies

Zombie Overlord
Staff member
Apr 18, 2009
www.postterminus.com
Latens
3,598✦
Exa
⏆1,617
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
0⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Okay, I think I understand what you're saying now. But I am still curious as for spells now. Are those techniques in the arcane line up the only ones that will exist in those schools? Making so that for more to be introduced a guild would have to be created? Or could those current five schools have spells added to them?
The five current schools of magic were designed to be expanded upon, and there is a thread for players to submit potential spells for approval: here.

There are currently no plans to add additional schools of magic. Pretty much any spell you could possibly think of will fit nicely into one of those five, broad categories. Additionally, there is already an in-game organization dealing with the magical arts (albeit with more of a political/theological bend) in the Arcanum. This doesn't preclude player-created groups from specializing in magic, of course. As Will stated above, there's nothing stopping you from creating a style or guild spec focused on spells or spellcasting, if that's your cup of tea.

Patreon

Writing Week is 270

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis