Shirts, Shoes, Service

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Dysney

Staff Member
Supporter
Dec 30, 2012
Murica
Latens
985✦
Exa
⏆653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Would enlils, women in particular, consider being seen shirtless inappropriate? Since their upper bodies are feather covered, I'd think it might not matter. I'm thinking this particular sense of comfort with shirtlessness would be specific to enlil* culture as other races don't have the benefit of feather 'under shirts'. Not saying they parade around publicly without at least a tunic or cloak, but in their own homes would it be as big a deal as it might be for lacairs?

*Demvir might also go without shirts if they pleased because they're so different. They'd probably wear them to fit in, but I can't see a demvir being truly upset about not having a shirt.

K3

The Angry One
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 29, 2008
The Great Pond in the Sky
Latens
997✦
Exa
⏆6,358
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Enlil are highly individualistic, and so their own culture sort've gets muddled or assimilated into larger facets of neighboring races. While enlilian culture as a whole might not give too much credence to shirtlessness - in fact, going au naturale might be seen as simply part of an inherent identity - the individual is ultimately the one who decides what belongs in their personal ethos.

For instance, an enlil who finds company amongst laicar or velen might adopt their cultural standards for exposure for whatever reason. By contrast, a more nationalistic or home-dedicated Borean enlil might find torso garments to be more ceremonial than proper, and could realistically go without in casual scenarios.

Regardless, it's difficult to pin down a definitive answer regarding enlil, considering they lack a centralized form of cultural identity. Consider them to take on a cultural mosaic on an individual level, with their values and ideals concerning privacy and decency determined by their experiences, as opposed to an instilled teaching.

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Latens
481✦
Exa
⏆359
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I might be overexpanding the question, but what might a velen wear then? I mean when us folk go swimming we kinda skimp on clothing.

Either fullbody/torso suits, or guys in water boxers, and girls in aqua panties/skirts/shorts and bras/halter tops?

So does that mean velen (at least in water) would dress roughly the same way?

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
8,028✦
Exa
⏆3,653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
It's brief, but this is how it's described in the race write-up: "Clothing is usually quite minimalist and made of waterproof materials, even while on land."

Basically, yes, velen tend to wear clothes that are easy to swim in, although obviously they need to layer up in colder climates. Chances are, even when velen are wearing clothes that are more loose and flowing, there's something skintight underneath.

Patreon

Writing Week is 505

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis