Bigatium
17⍨
Auritium
12⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
So, everyone, there's been some discussion of taking the events that took place in Sound Of Trumpets and creating a novel using them as a basis. Would people be interested in seeing this take place? What approach(es) should we consider taking if we did go forward with it? Comments, suggestions and feedback are all welcome. Post away and let's hear what people think!

Apeiron

That One Guy
Staff member
Supporter
Jul 23, 2009
comicwriting.wordpress.com
Latens
24,740✦
Exa
⏆2,300
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
57⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
16⍫
Vitatium
1⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
So, everyone, there's been some discussion of taking the events that took place in Sound Of Trumpets and creating a novel using them as a basis. Would people be interested in seeing this take place? What approach(es) should we consider taking if we did go forward with it? Comments, suggestions and feedback are all welcome. Post away and let's hear what people think!
To help further the discussion, one of the options mentioned is that we'd be avoiding a main character and instead using a cast. This would mean taking a different approach to the narrative than you might think of. The best example I can think of is "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson (other examples are welcome) where the cast is certainly in the limelight, but the focus is more on the events which are happening around them and their involvement therein. Not every thought of a character is explored, only what's most relevant to the current plot (for SoT it would be uncovering the ANO plot and stopping them).

Personally, I like this idea and for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it would be taking what we've been writing for fun as a community and giving us a physical and eventually finished product to turn around and use to make improvements/do other things with PT. Examples might include hosting a PT-con (albeit a very small one), or promote the site.

Secondly, we have some good writers on this site. Some of which have already self-published, while others are working towards it, or those who think it would be nice to be published but on their own won't/can't.

Third, because we finally have the chance to do something like this, and I'm all for attempting something like this. With Halcyon Days, a good number of us wrote at least one novel or more in word count alone. We had entire plots that interwove and connected, and created some really interesting dynamics between the characters. But if we wanted to do something like this with HD, we'd be stopped at so many points that the trouble wouldn't be worth it.

Finally, how amazing would it be to be a part of something where a new writer can come in, determined to write, finds a community of people who enjoy writing like they do, and turn around and make something they wrote apart of something bigger? Where they could look at Post Terminus: Sound of Trumpets and see their character, and if by some way people read and enjoy a specific character, they can turn around and generate more stories about that specific character?

It wouldn't be without its share of work, however. It would require a lot of time, planning, coordination, and communication to craft a enjoyable story out of several different writer's work on the same matter. It would mean making a decisions about how to interpret a characters actions, and how to leave out certain details to inspire a certain air of either suspense, emotional extremes, and action -- all without getting too in-depth with a characters thoughts and emotions, among other things.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
29,919✦
Exa
⏆82,043
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
14⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
I think that this is a great idea. And being able to complete it and get it out there might really help both the RP and perhaps people's will to write.

I think the novel should take liberties with events, change some things and such. This would be an adaptation after all. What I'm saying is that when writing live, players might do random things and such. When turning everything into a cohesive novel, perhaps there could be more interplay between events and some kind of proper story structure. Of course that'll be a whole lot of work. Though it's just a thought.

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
21,936✦
Exa
⏆17,180
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
102⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
5⍫
Vitatium
15⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
I think that this is a great idea. And being able to complete it and get it out there might really help both the RP and perhaps people's will to write.

I think the novel should take liberties with events, change some things and such. This would be an adaptation after all. What I'm saying is that when writing live, players might do random things and such. When turning everything into a cohesive novel, perhaps there could be more interplay between events and some kind of proper story structure. Of course that'll be a whole lot of work. Though it's just a thought.
It's definitely something we need to think about.

I had already considered that some scenes or events might need to be removed or heavily edited, while for others we would probably need to write additional scenes. One simple example is that Delphina, from the Week 0 chapter introducing Terminus and the caelitium pen, is never mentioned again despite her role inadvertently helping the ANO.

So I'd say step one is compiling everything relevant (which might include some things outside of PMs). Step two would be looking through it and deciding where more is needed and where some needs to be trimmed. We also need to decide which, if any, characters need additional introduction or development. The heavy editing/revision is only a relatively small part, even though it's still going to be a long process.

Anyone have thoughts on some of the above? Things you think should have been shown in the PMs? Things you think it was better off without?

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
21,936✦
Exa
⏆17,180
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
102⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
5⍫
Vitatium
15⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
As a quick update, I gathered up the wordcounts for the current PM writing (and some pre-PM plot pieces).

1259103052213502134859529865680196956617353475127460241923004187518021294791571463

Author

Wordcount

Total

[TD="align: right"]

[/TD]

Will

[/TD]

Fin

[/TD]

Raph

[/TD]

Hiren

[/TD]

Minj

[/TD]

Dys

[/TD]

Val

[/TD]

Freckles

[/TD]

Haresuno

[/TD]

Doc

[/TD]

Moon

[/TD]

Shade

[/TD]

Berri

[/TD]

Rob

[/TD]

Pup

[/TD]

Lambo

[/TD]

Vin

[/TD]

Vincent

[/TD]

Bish

[/TD]

So, before we make any revisions/additions, it's sitting at 126k. That means it is definitely long enough for a novel.

The next step is going to be figuring out what aspects of a novel it's lacking. Which characters need to be established, what motivations should be inserted into the novel (that previously occurred outside the PMs), what areas of the story need fleshing out, and what areas need trimming down.

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
21,936✦
Exa
⏆17,180
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
102⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
5⍫
Vitatium
15⌭
Caelitium
0⌬

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
29,919✦
Exa
⏆82,043
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
14⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Yeah, I think Sidargen should be introduced, especially if he's going to be a recurring character later on. If he's only going to be a one-off, though, perhaps not.

As for character introductions but start of with some pen delivery to normal life that introduces the city of terminus. Perhaps it's my bias, but have a Cicely bar cart scene shwoing people's excitement for the festival as well as the three ANO members.

Then characters can be introduced at the ceremonies before the hunt and the food creating events going on. That would be my thought for the beginning, at least. And what happened during the food-creating event should definitely be fleshed out.

Maybe keep Delphina around as an outsider character that people explain stuff to, or have another character be that one.

As for what to cut out, againm just speaking for myself, but most of the Cicely investigation stuff is going to be tonally inconsistent, as well as having an extra 7 characters that don't appear anywhere else. Just my thought for my parts.

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
21,936✦
Exa
⏆17,180
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
102⌯
Bigatium
54⍨
Auritium
5⍫
Vitatium
15⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Updated the doc.

Converted block paragraphs to indented paragraphs.

Made all spacing consistent.

All 'smart quotes' converted to straight quotes.

All fonts converted to Arial size 10. Colors, bolding, and italics left in place.

__

Good ideas, Fin. Chopping the investigation entirely would be a big hit, though.

Dysney

Staff Member
Supporter
Dec 30, 2012
Murica
Latens
36,747✦
Exa
⏆59,531
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
12⌯
Bigatium
16⍨
Auritium
23⍫
Vitatium
1⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Before I forget!

1 We discussed making Ignis one of the recurring characters in chat, well it was mentioned anyway. I'm good with that. I think if that happens she needs more introduction.

2 I started reading the novelization and have a few general comments
a. In the first part (from "Welcome to Terminus" to Magister"), you get a very prologue-type feel. There's decent descriptions of at least one character of all of the races, you get a basic description of Terminus, and then there's a smooth transition of character focus. And then there's the pen. The pen is the one thing that is consistent throughout these chapters and if it is emphasized that can help tie it together.

b. "Five Hundred Years" to "The Greatest Vice". This is where a lot of editing needs to be done to make it cohesive. I noticed that if we rearrange some of the turns (and perhaps even splice some of the PC turns) so that turns with inter-player interaction are consecutive, or at least easier to follow it would help. Since the speeches were something that everyone at least acknowledged, we could try arranging turns around parts of the speeches to help break up the monotony (it was well written, but damn those prophets could talk) that would make digesting this much easier.

Another option here is turning this section into smaller chapters to help consolidate similar ideas and group together character interactions. The speeches could be inserted in between character interaction pieces. For example, Minj's npc Gwend tries to talk to Urias, but we don't see Urias' response until several turns later. If those turns were consecutive, or at least closer together, it would be easier to follow. I would also recommend adding narration to create more natural segues.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
29,919✦
Exa
⏆82,043
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium
14⌯
Bigatium
0⍨
Auritium
0⍫
Vitatium
0⌭
Caelitium
0⌬
Chopping the investigation entirely would be a big hit, though.
If you mean wordcount-wise, I was hoping to make that up with the cooking contest. If you meant characterization-wise, yeah, that would be large. It could be just the weird, comedic side-story that gets interspersed with the serious stuff, like alternating chapters. Though I don't know how well that will work.

Patreon

Discord Chat

Writing Week is 240

Current Date in Araevis