Reviewed Week 312: To Hunt Madness - Feedback

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I've read a few of your previous chapters as well, though I have more thoughts on this one. The previous parts were a good setup chapter, and Kai sure does get into a lot of trouble. Onto this one.

The first part of the chapter can feel repetitive. There are a lot of sentences that starts off in a similar way, such as, He does something of He'd done something. It think it comes from describing too much of Kai's actions.

The second part of the chapter, once Kai found his target, was well done. There was a tense feeling and the description and feelings was vivid. I liked that you reviewed the target monster at the start of the chapter. It really helped. The second reminder when the information actually came into play was nice as well.

The monster is certainly creepy-feeling.

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
8,028✦
Exa
⏆3,653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
The beginning parts of the chapter do a good job of setting the scene, and I think the repetition actually helps to establish that Kai's actions are routine, a product of training and experience. Likewise, the callbacks to the previous chapter help keep the focus on what Kai needs to do and what he's up against. The garrow is creepy, certainly, and you paint a vivid, fetid picture with the way it moves and screams out in the woman's voice.

This feels like it could be a complete piece, rather than a fragmentary passage, although it's still short. I read this part out of order, so I know how the next piece goes. More comments there.

Patreon

Writing Week is 505

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis