Reviewed Week 358: Metallic Meditations - Feedback

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
5,990✦
Exa
⏆3,302
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I love the descriptiveness throughout the chapter. It's a unique blend of spiritual, intellectual, and calculating. While I haven't read anything exactly like it, this immediately feels right for the mind of an investigator: using his captivity to pore over evidence in his mind, with acute detail that suggests eidetic memory. The inclusion of different senses and portrayal in an analytical light also reflects Laermont's machina nature; for a being that's partly detached from those senses, it's all interpreted as information.

I'll assume the team's release had something to do with my musings on the previous chapter, and while I still feel the details are unclear, I immediately appreciate the acknowledgment that TorBru and Mercuti have limits. There are things they can't do. In my opinion, a good villain is one that has limits and yet remains a threat, because it establishes a gap between the antagonists and protagonists rather than a wall.

All around the demvir a network of pipes, obscured and metallic, snaked.

This line lands oddly. I think you're better off putting the verb before the adjectives. I'm guilty of violating this myself, but a good general rule is to have as few pauses in a sentence as necessary.

All around the demvir a network of pipes snaked, obscure and metallic.

Patreon

Writing Week is 363

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis