Writing Help! [Advice / Questions]

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Fuzakeru

Oct 19, 2005
i liek leave in huose
reversesensibility.blogspot.com
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Have any advice you'd like to share? Tips? Tricks of the trade? Perhaps you simply have a question that you'd like to ask?

Post them all here so other members can see! =3

silent snow

Apr 12, 2008
Writing your story
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
All aspiring fiction writers should follow some basic rules:

- start writing with the plot written down in notes first, then think through it again
- while writing simply write, write and write, corrections and additions should be added later.
- when the chapter is down, first run a spell-checker over it then check it manually
- and at last read through the chapter at least two times, two make sure you have everything you wanted, if not add it but then read through it again.

(late additions to the chapter might cause discontinuity within the chapter so really read through it again.

As soon as I can think of more I'll post it.

- writing Yuki

K

Kiodos

What I always feel that helps me, is Music. It really helps my writing, if I'm doing a fight scene I'll try to play harder music, etc.

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I find it helpful.

Also, at times when I want to add a bit of spice or throw in a big word to my writing, I'll use the little dictionary/thesaurus that's called WordWeb.

WordWeb Download Link

Sheath92

Oct 7, 2008
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
What helps me is music, but also I get up and and pace saying lines and wich part would fit, I may have just joined but i have already about 5 40 paged stories, and still going,

But listen to my advice Pace and pretend you kind of in the story, it helps me alot.

Akami.40

Mar 15, 2009
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
When writing...

Avoid Mindless Fluff.
Don't make Mary-sues.

Shun

Feb 14, 2009
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
When writing anything, make sure that your sentences are clear and concise; no sentence fragments or run-on sentences. Most importantly, make sure you use your imagination and creativity. Even the little things such as the description of a character's attire or hair matters. It adds to the overall fluidness of the piece.

Other general comments:
-Stay away from repeating the same words (For example, mentioning a character's names several times in one paragraph. It doesn't hurt to use something like "the man", another modifier, or a pronoun to identify the subject.
-Try to re-read your work before submitting it or sharing it.
-Run it through to check for any spelling errors.
-Try to make the reader feel like they could picture what had happened in your writing in their head. Visualization is the key.
-Don't plagiarize!!

Remember, making outlines or anything prior to writing doesn't make you lame. The time and effort pays off in the end.

Also, keep in mind that asking suggestions from friends isn't such a bad idea either. Heeding any constructive criticism can also help you improve.

K

kueaa

What I suggest is the TOW method. It might sound pretty weird and troublesome, as I first thought when I was introduced to it, but I've been told after using this method that my works are improving ^^

Think
Organize
Write

Think: Get a sheet of paper and a pen, write the topic or focus in the middle, the think. Write down whatever gets into your head, whether or not you think its important or useless. Brainstorm!

Organize: Now you organize, scratching out those that don't link back to your main topic or focus clearly. For short stories, number the ideas into their paragraphs. For long stories, just number them roughly by where you want to introduce this particularly bit at.

The brainstorm sheet should now be messy and unbearable to look at. Get out another sheet of paper, and write down the ideas formed according by how you numbered them.

Write: Now that the planning stage is done, sit down, have both plans out and in front of you, then write!

Hope this helps for those who enjoy writing. This TOW method doesn't only apply for stories, I find it pretty helpful for essays and such as well. I'm not saying that this is the best method since everyone has their own ways, but try it, it might work for you~

D

Deleted member 1028

Help on Words?

Imma getting sick of saying "Said" all the time.

I'm quite new to the Fanfic writing-ness.

I do use other words such as "Exclaimed" and "Sighed" etc...
but could someone give me a quick list or help?!

when it's a two way conversation, i don't use any words

"So, how are you Ichigo?" Rukia asked politely.

"I'm okay, how about yourself?" Ichigo replied.

"I'm fine."

"Good."

K

kueaa

Help on Words?

Imma getting sick of saying "Said" all the time.

I'm quite new to the Fanfic writing-ness.

I do use other words such as "Exclaimed" and "Sighed" etc...
but could someone give me a quick list or help?!

when it's a two way conversation, i don't use any words

"So, how are you Ichigo?" Rukia asked politely.

"I'm okay, how about yourself?" Ichigo replied.

"I'm fine."

"Good."

I got this list off the internet, though sadly I can't link you back since I can't remember where I got it from, but I saved it in my documents to help me when I'm writing. Here's the LONG list.

Stated
Claimed
Asked
Wondered
Exclaimed
Explained
Acknowledged
Added
Admitted
Advised
Agreed
Announced
Answered
Approved
Argued
Assumed
Assured
Asked
Babbled
Bargained
Began
Boasted
Bragged
Called
Claimed
Commanded
Commented
Complained
Cried
Decided
Demanded
Denied
Described
Dictated
Emphasized
Estimated
Exclaimed
Explained
Expressed
Feared
Giggled
Grinned
Grunted
Indicated
Insisted
Instructed
Laughed
Lectured
Lied
Mentioned
Moaned
Mumbled
Murmured
Nagged
Noted
Notified
Objected
Observed
Ordered
Pleaded
Pointed out
Prayed
Predicted
Questioned
Reassured
Related
Repeated
Replied
Responded
Requested
Restated
Revealed
Roared
Ruled
Scolded
Screamed
Shouted
Shrieked
Snapped
Sneered
Sobbed
Spoke
Sputtered
Stammered
Stated
Stormed
Suggested
Taunted
Thought
Told
Urged
Uttered
Vowed
Wailed
Warned
Whispered
Stuttered

D

Deleted member 1028

I got this list off the internet, though sadly I can't link you back since I can't remember where I got it from, but I saved it in my documents to help me when I'm writing. Here's the LONG list.

Stated
Claimed
Asked
Wondered
Exclaimed
Explained
Acknowledged
Added
Admitted
Advised
Agreed
Announced
Answered
Approved
Argued
Assumed
Assured
Asked
Babbled
Bargained
Began
Boasted
Bragged
Called
Claimed
Commanded
Commented
Complained
Cried
Decided
Demanded
Denied
Described
Dictated
Emphasized
Estimated
Exclaimed
Explained
Expressed
Feared
Giggled
Grinned
Grunted
Indicated
Insisted
Instructed
Laughed
Lectured
Lied
Mentioned
Moaned
Mumbled
Murmured
Nagged
Noted
Notified
Objected
Observed
Ordered
Pleaded
Pointed out
Prayed
Predicted
Questioned
Reassured
Related
Repeated
Replied
Responded
Requested
Restated
Revealed
Roared
Ruled
Scolded
Screamed
Shouted
Shrieked
Snapped
Sneered
Sobbed
Spoke
Sputtered
Stammered
Stated
Stormed
Suggested
Taunted
Thought
Told
Urged
Uttered
Vowed
Wailed
Warned
Whispered
Stuttered

O M G
Thankyou so much ^^
*hugs*
This is really gonne help me :D
Thanks alot :D:D ^^

Akami.40

Mar 15, 2009
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
This helps with Character Development.
What you do is fill out the list from one characters perspective. You do it once at the beginning of the story, and once again at the end to see the changes.

Character Development.

• What do you consider your greatest achievement?

• What is your idea of perfect happiness?

• What is your current state of mind?

• What is your favourite occupation?

• What is your most treasured possession?

• What or who is the greatest love of your life?

• What is your most marked characteristic?

• When and where were you the happiest?

• What is it that you most dislike?

• What is your greatest fear?

• What is your greatest extravagance?

• Which living person do you most despise?

• What is your greatest regret?

• Which talent would you most like to have?

• What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

• What is the quality you most like in a man?

• What is the quality you most like in a woman?

• What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?

• What is the trait you most deplore in others?

• What do you most value in your friends?

• Which living person do you most admire?

• What do you consider the most overrated virtue?

• On what occasions do you lie?

• Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

• How would you like to die?

• If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?

• What is your motto?

Akane Yokutsu

Apr 13, 2009
Florida!
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
About character develope ment... those questions are really good and they help alot, Akami! But even those this seems like I'm trying to get you guys to make an RPG profile (xD), it is good to have this written down... at least for me it is.

Take the time to atleast write/tpye simple things like:
Full Name:
Birth Place:
Birth Date:
Birth Time: (yes, I know... btu i like making a birth time for my characters!)

And stuff like that. Don't forget appearance for the helps GREATLY when you're trying to describe a person and how they look. Personality. Stating this can help you stay on character.

Now I need some help too:
Ok actually more of a question:
Bleach character x OC. Is it worth writing? Or is this up to me? I wanan write one so badly but dun wanan be bored to death while writing!

D

Deleted member 1028

@ Akane; If you have it planned out well, you should write it! It'll bug you with the story sat there in your brain if you dont ^^;;

vizored 112358

Mar 24, 2009
um...it's near earth...so...mars?
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
for me, my greatest works at school are just based on a 50 word description, then i go mad........doubt that works for other people though......and if you ever use it, make sure you proof read it....
the expression on my proof-reader's face when he read it-priceless

(btw, left my material at home, so i'm screwed now >.<)

Torisutan-san

Sep 8, 2009
Southern California. It sucks.
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
I'd say the biggest help for when I write is to write out the basic plot of the story, then write out the plots for each arc within the story (I write multi-chap fics), and finally write out the plots for each chapter within the arc. These should all be very general, because you may have a great idea that doesn't fit a more specific plan but could work if you fudge it a bit.

I also like to have a friend proof-read it before I post it anywhere. That way I get a second opinion to tell me when I accidentally delete key sentences or other stupid mistakes.

I'll be posting my fanfics on here soon, once I finish them all! ;)

bleachlover20053

Jul 29, 2009
Gentlemen's Club
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Greatest advices i can give are
1) Perspective: choose it wisely, if u want to bring out an individuals emotions to the limit, use a first person perspective to write. this may sound corny but become the character!
2) Take advantage of the setting: Setting description is all nice and stuff but manipulate it and use it to set the mood or metaphorically express the person's inner feelings (works great when it is written in third person limited, where the narrator cannot read minds so the contrast of the outer facade and real emotions revealed in setting works beautifully even though it might sound bit over the top).

Apeiron

That One Guy
Supporter
Jul 23, 2009
comicwriting.wordpress.com
Latens
25,063✦
Exa
⏆732
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
ADVICE: Write what you know. If you don't have a personal experience research your subject, but don't randomly put things down. A good example I remember from "The Writer" magazine is when this author mentioned a manuscript -or something to that extent- she was reading, and the owner of the manuscript had written a small bit about a certain flower blooming in Nebraska -I think it was Nebraska.. Doesn't matter-. The author just so happened to be from Nebraska and knew that the flower mentioned didn't grow wild and in the climate Nebraska had.

But also, this doesn't mean that if you want write a gory scene you go out and make your own gory scene <_<;; on that area I suggest reading novels that were descriptive of that. Otherwise avoid it all together and just do a quick flashback piece like:

Her hands trembled as she reached for the door knob. Three years since that dreaded night had passed and still the horrific memory haunted her. Turning on her heels she ran back to the car and shut herself in. Sobbing and weeping while the gory event replayed in her mind.

Not only is this style good for covering up the fact that you might not know how to write a graphic murder scene or what have you, but it can save time, as well as broaden your reading area so that not just one specific group reads it.

Now for the writers that have a simple plot line I would think the technique of writing the plot down on the paper works, however there are writings out there that are more complex with layers upon layers plots and sub-plots that overlap. My question -I suppose- is: "Does this technique work for complex story lines too?"

Wayne

The Rustler of Jimmies
Nov 16, 2008
injecting bullshark testosterone
Latens
1,000✦
Exa
⏆500
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
how do you guys get over writers block? I've been writing a Silent Hill fanfiction for about a year now, but I'm stuck on a certain chapter.

Me personally, I either watch TV or do something that involves something eye-catching. It's all about inspiration. I'm gonna sound nerdy here, but if you have like a favorite anime/movie/whatev scene that just brings your piss to a boil with testosterone or something like that, I suggest watching it a few minutes before writing and see if the enthusiasm doesn't pop up out of nowhere... of course, this won't work every single time though. Lol.

Aside from that, writer's block depends mostly on your current mood, doesn't it? You'd probably have good days and bad days in writing too, right?

OR! If in case you're really blanked out, you can always throw in a good ol' sex scene every now and then. Lmfao. But seriously, plot twists are fun too. Consider putting like little tidbits in the beginning and then make it so that they're actually plot relevant in the future. Perfect example from Bleach, though its a major spoiler though-

Hirako was always upside down in the air and he also spelled his name backwards for his class... and turns out, 100+ chapters later, his shikai actually inverts his opponent's senses.

But yeah, like I said, it's all about inspiration.

Patreon

Writing Week is 505

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis