Character Development

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Dec 25, 2012
Howdy,

New here to PT and love what I see and the great structure. Just free-form enough to allow anything but rigid enough to keep it balanced. I am having a bit of a character development block. I know that for my skills I want to be a Demvir Enchanter. Focusing mainly on crafting and making a name for myself that way. My main drive for my character will be to unite the main Demvir "capitals" through portals when I get there months from now but, I digress.

What I am having trouble with his the other skills. I can see the need for magic and summoning seems very cool to me, I don't think I have the creativity enough to be a machinest/Engineer at least yet. Seems a bit advanced and I think relatively straight forward. I would like "helpers" as I have just this "worker bee" type mentality for my guy. a Creator if you will driven by the philosphy that the Demvir are not just tools and are capable of creation and maybe a bit of an extreme view, are more suited for the task than the biological races due to their objectivity. I digress.

So I thought of making an Enchanter who was a contractor and so questions arose, I only saw about 4 sprites or so in the Arcanium, can we register our own? I would like say a Fairy queen or something in charge of a Hive to gather information and scour the globe for me for materials for my enchants. Then I saw Golems in Alchemy and was like oh that could help like this too... I don't want to haev zero battle potential but starting off I feel like you need to specialize.

Regardless I hope this gives a generalized concept to my character and would like some help. Should I become an Engineer and just make a "hive" like drone? Also I was reading the magic and I didnt see "advanced" magic, is that something registered or am I just not seeing it.

I feel like I have rambled on but please any input into this matter to start my character off would be appreciated.

EDIT:

To expand on my question could an engineer make random robots like this to take on random tasks with no battle purpose like surveillance (I guess that's battle though), getting readings on stuff like materials and magic, or I don't know look at the image below and apply a task that it look like it could do... or is this in lines more with a machinist or would I need both?

EDIT 2:

Personality:

Vita,much like many Demvir, has a very self reflective personality. He isphilosophic in his approach to life and frames most if not all of histhoughts threw the lens of his belief that his race is Superior. Yousee, in the eyes of Vita he and his kind were created by the Vis as ameans of self preservation. Foreseeing their own eventual demisethrough means that still remain a mistery born where the Demvir sothat for the rest of time there would be some governance of the worldusing their ideals.

TheDemvir are strong, ageless, and meticulous not allowing emotion tooverride logic. The perfect specimen for preservation of the worldssystems and in Vita's eyes the best objective view point politically.The disdain that the biological felt toward him and his peopletwisted his own view of them breeding contempt for who they were andhow limitless their own ignorance was.

Hispersonal beliefs aid him in his firm Inlustrian faith. Vita'sunwavering temperament that the Demvir were created by the Visdirectly placed on the con tenant to monitor everything in theirstead binds him to his core. In the past his faith has beenchallenged by those who would argue that the Demvir were simply toolsplaces to serve but through his own meditation he is solid in hisresolve that he and his kind are far more than mere tools.

Thesechallenges to his faith and his beliefs have only tempered hisloyalty to his kind and contempt for all others. The lesser racesshould always approach with respect if simply not for the fact thatin his mind he is direct from the Vis themselves and the age at whichthey all display. His intent one day is have the Demvir as anobjective third party among the other races as a ruler society withvast control over the tradesman sector. To build a city or a networkof cities where the histories and knowledge of the world is sharedbetween all of the races.

Vitatakes great pride in his work and holds fast the belief that creatinglife is the closest the Demvir will get to the Vis, their creators.Machines, Golems, and even taming faie or deamons all seem to alignwith this ideal.

Philosophic(creationism) - Denmir were made by Vis because they knew they wouldnot last ect made the Denmir to be there forever

Unity/loyaltyto race (believes) believes they were put there to govern the otherraces and keep peace

Pridein work (creator) making something imparts a part of your identity orsoul into whatever you are making. Understands he has far to come inhis work

Biologicalsare lesser (hides contempt)

Earnedrespect: Extremly hard to earn his resepct unless he views you assomething he could not do. Struggles with his contempt forBiologicals that are better at things he wants to be better at.

Last edited by a moderator:

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Hey Brood, great to see you again! New to PT, perhaps, but we're still the same RP crew from HD.

I'll swing down and answer these real quick, then put some thoughts/suggestions at the end:

My main drive for my character will be to unite the main Demvir "capitals" through portals when I get there months from now but, I digress.
I love this as a goal, just saying.

What I am having trouble with his the other skills. I can see the need for magic and summoning seems very cool to me, I don't think I have the creativity enough to be a machinest/Engineer at least yet. Seems a bit advanced and I think relatively straight forward. I would like "helpers" as I have just this "worker bee" type mentality for my guy. a Creator if you will driven by the philosphy that the Demvir are not just tools and are capable of creation and maybe a bit of an extreme view, are more suited for the task than the biological races due to their objectivity. I digress.
To fulfill your goal, you'll need to acquire a lot of materials and do a lot of traveling. Now the obvious option is to make your guy combat-ready, so he can go out on his own and fight monsters, earn money, and gather materials. It feels like you're not wanting to go quite that straightforward. So what's another way to do that?

Becoming the guy everyone needs or wants around.

Enchanting already has some good synergy with Alchemy, and they both tread that line between science and magic. Both of those skills require some novice-level understanding of the spell schools to really get the most use from them. Although you say you're not ready to be an engineer/machinist, you could still become a machinist, albeit you might need to work with an engineer to build or upgrade your drone (some prime choices there are Ignis, written by Dysney, and Perseus, written by Inkers).

Enchanting as the primary, with alchemy to complement it. Alchemy allows you to create golems for (very) simple tasks. Fundibuli gives you a drone with more control, and there's a feat that will let you get multiples. These can be your worker bees. Getting a good selection of casting skills to novice can expand what enchantments and potions you have to offer, making you valuable to other players. You can acquire materials/money in direct trades or just tag along as support for a share of the rewards.

Regarding sprites, you can definitely create your own. You don't have to get them approved to write with them, but you can submit them to have them added to the bestiary and such for others to include in their writing. Same for any beasts, daemons, plants, etc.

A lot of schools don't have advanced spells yet. Bellator is an example of one that has a bunch, though. Essentially, each tier of each school can potentially have two Basic spells and three Advanced spells. We made sure to have a full complement of Basic spells, but most of the Advanced spells are waiting to be submitted for approval.

Vita,much like many Demvir, has a very self reflective personality. He isphilosophic in his approach to life and frames most if not all of histhoughts threw the lens of his belief that his race is Superior. Yousee, in the eyes of Vita he and his kind were created by the Vis as ameans of self preservation. Foreseeing their own eventual demisethrough means that still remain a mistery born where the Demvir sothat for the rest of time there would be some governance of the worldusing their ideals.

TheDemvir are strong, ageless, and meticulous not allowing emotion tooverride logic. The perfect specimen for preservation of the worldssystems and in Vita's eyes the best objective view point politically.The disdain that the biological felt toward him and his peopletwisted his own view of them breeding contempt for who they were andhow limitless their own ignorance was.

Hispersonal beliefs aid him in his firm Inlustrian faith. Vita'sunwavering temperament that the Demvir were created by the Visdirectly placed on the con tenant to monitor everything in theirstead binds him to his core. In the past his faith has beenchallenged by those who would argue that the Demvir were simply toolsplaces to serve but through his own meditation he is solid in hisresolve that he and his kind are far more than mere tools.

Thesechallenges to his faith and his beliefs have only tempered hisloyalty to his kind and contempt for all others. The lesser racesshould always approach with respect if simply not for the fact thatin his mind he is direct from the Vis themselves and the age at whichthey all display. His intent one day is have the Demvir as anobjective third party among the other races as a ruler society withvast control over the tradesman sector. To build a city or a networkof cities where the histories and knowledge of the world is sharedbetween all of the races.

Vitatakes great pride in his work and holds fast the belief that creatinglife is the closest the Demvir will get to the Vis, their creators.Machines, Golems, and even taming faie or deamons all seem to alignwith this ideal.

Philosophic(creationism) - Denmir were made by Vis because they knew they wouldnot last ect made the Denmir to be there forever

Unity/loyaltyto race (believes) believes they were put there to govern the otherraces and keep peace

Pridein work (creator) making something imparts a part of your identity orsoul into whatever you are making. Understands he has far to come inhis work

Biologicalsare lesser (hides contempt)

Earnedrespect: Extremly hard to earn his resepct unless he views you assomething he could not do. Struggles with his contempt forBiologicals that are better at things he wants to be better at.
This is a great contrast to the general populace, and can serve to build friction, but how he deals with his different view on life, and how he tries to convince others, can make him really stand out.

Writing Week is 210

Discord Chat