[Plot] Convergence of Tides

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Aeria Luxus

Mar 11, 2019
Latens
4,570✦
Exa
⏆100,185
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Aeria didn't waste any time. She made a methodical circuit of the Cypselurus Callopterus, her eyes sweeping over the Sky Cutter, taking in the design and structure, before she walked up the lowered entry ramp and into the ship. Everything was brass, bronze or dull black metal inside and the spurii made her way to the control cabin.

She strode up to the pilot's seat and lowered herself into it, as she ran her violet eyes over the controls and dials. There were many, but it was a standard setup and a more confident expression came over her finely honed features.

Her fingers ran over the controls, as if they were memorizing them, or perhaps remembering them and their functions. She gave a nod to herself and began to recall how one started up auritium engines.

Now Aeria awaited Ignis and Durio Sea as she looked out of the cabin's windows to the bustle and rush of the people readying for the next phase of this operation.

Last edited:

Deni Perfide

May 8, 2019
Latens
610✦
Exa
⏆85,115
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
10⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
A toothy grin crept onto Deni' face after Red's response, but he said nothing else while he followed the rest of the throng out of the palace and to the landing pad.

After a brief glance, he turned his eyes away from the sight of the metal airships. He didn't want to think about the journey. Instead, he looked between both of the Princesses while they negotiated with their brother. The rogue never got close enough to Princess Grace to see if there were any marks on her neck from the assassination attempt. Some royal devout follower of Castus probably would have healed her anyway. If Deni had been a moment too slow loading that second bolt…

The others began loading into their relevant airships and Deni lifted the gold-tinted rifle off his back as he headed towards the Fodiator Acutus. Something about the Prince's bittersweet words struck a chord within him.

I need to stop committing treason, Deni thought to himself drily. I should have learned from Nocte Nils, though this is certainly different.

Deni strode towards the ship with the flame-coloured sail, falling in next to the Prince on the way.

"If it's any consolation, ending a war is probably the best kind of treason," Deni said in the guttural syllables of his native tongue. He cast a brief, regretful glance towards Ignis and caught a glimpse of Aeria loading onto the next ship in the line. Not going with them was difficult, but after what had happened the night before, both he and his avian companion would likely operate better apart.

Deni shivered as he slipped the gold-tinted rifle off his back. He climbed into the airship and waited.

“Let’s get this over with.”

[588]

Apr 3, 2020
Latens
2,543✦
Exa
⏆49,649
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Word Count: 483
2,095 till Reinforcements

The flash of lightning crashed in between the two men in the warehouse, causing a sizzling burst of heat and static to shower over the pair, before Kaizaell could react he heard a second bolt hit the roof and, after a few moments passed, felt his sight return from the blinding white arc the lightning had forced on him.

Feeling the heat above he glanced up and saw that the roof had caught fire, but somehow the second bolt hadn’t penetrated. He felt a rush of adrenaline through his veins again, feeling his body seem to grow lighter as the fight or flight energy rushed through him. He looked over at Laermont for a moment, seeing the robotic man seemed to be shaking off the static from the bolt.

“Laer!” the young Sniper yelled, his voice sounded tinny, and seemed to come from a distance, though he could feel his voice reverberating in his throat. It was almost like hearing a far off echo of your own voice. “We need to get out of here! They caught the damned roof on fire!”

Running quickly he bolted out the door, hoping that the mechanical man followed closely behind him, then made his way towards what he assumed was the lighthouse. He could see the lightning being gathered again, sent streaking outwards towards the group once again. With the burst of energy the dark haired laicar made it unmolested to the base of the tower.

Looking upon it it seemed a grand structure, a testament to its purpose. It was nearly fifty feet tall, and the light on the top seemed to be turned off, which made sense if the invaders didn’t want a counter invasion. The brick and mortar building seemed to stand proud, it had weathered bigger threats and stronger storms than the ophidians.

As he reached the building he saw the door itself seemed to be hanging on its hinges, which means it had likely been broken into during the siege, even with the singed meat smell still lingering to the young man he could still smell the scent of rotting meat and blood coming out of the entrance. With how high it was it was going to be difficult to make it to the top and the streaks of lightning would be upon them in moments.

That’s when he saw the big lightning rods that had been built into the capped roof of the lighthouse itself and an idea, stupid and reckless though it was, came to his head.

Seeing Laermont catch up Kaizaell looked at his friend and gave a small, hopefully not mad, smile.

“Laer, this is going to sound crazy, but,” the soldier said, his eyes lit up with the thrill of his plan. quickly he pointed to the top of the lighthouse. “Once the next set of lightning passes, I need you to toss me up there.”

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019
Latens
2,260✦
Exa
⏆45,443
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
5⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Deni's words made Ignis' throat tighten. She wasn't certain about what they would do now, with their relationship in tatters. However, the avian didn't want death to steal her choices from her. The enlil flashed the Pelagian a brief look before following Aeria towards the Sky Cutter Aeria was going to pilot. She climbed into the small aircraft and tried to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach.

The sound of Aeria's voice over the speakers made Ignis smile a bit. She couldn't fly an airship on her own, but her engineering skills were close to Aeria's. The enlil began to examine the Pelagian aircraft to try and discern how it might function. Her primary goal was as part of Aeria's security detail, but she was willing to serve as co-pilot as well.

Ignis made her way towards the control room and stuck her head into the room. "Would you care for a copilot, Miss Luxus?" the avian asked, grinning a bit at the overly formal address.

Aeria Luxus

Mar 11, 2019
Latens
4,570✦
Exa
⏆100,185
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Dio Sea was the first to make an appearance. The elegant, robed seer had glided into the cabin in wearing dark blue robes. The seer's voice was settled and calm as they announced that they'd be waiting, preparing their mind until such a time as their services were needed. The seer's presence was like a cool balm and some of the tension appeared to drain from the young spurii at it.

The second person to make an appearance brought a brilliant smile to Aeria’s face. She whirled out of the pilot’s chair, crossed the short distance to Ignis and wrapped her arms around her. “Of course! The copilot’s chair is yours!”

Letting her go, she looked more sombre. “We’ll talk more in flight about the incident with Deni. Right now, take a seat and we’ll get this bird in the air!”

The start procedure began, Aeria flicking on the switches and adjusting the controls . As she did so, the cutter began to rise slowly from the ground. The spurii began to manipulate the controls to keep the ship steady. She glanced over at Ignis. “As we rise, I want you to trim the wing planes to -5 degrees. It’s the right hand lever and the third dial from the left to watch. Okay?”

Everything fell away as Aeria concentrated. The ship rose and she trimmed the sail and began to feed power to the engines as she maneuvered them out of the docking area. In spite of the situation, her face was wreathed in a smile. It was as if she was rediscovering a pleasure she had long since missed.

Last edited:

Laermont

Mar 11, 2019
Latens
3,380✦
Exa
⏆100,130
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
269 Words
1826 left until reinforcements arrive

Without seeming to exhibit any particular worry, Laermont moved easily and rapidly behind Kai. His strides were long and fluid, the hydraulic power of his internal machinery easily moving him. Weaving and dodging the lightning, the eight foot hulk moved in a way that belied his seeming heft. They charged into the tower and were hit by the stench of death. If it rankled, Laermont didn’t react to it. Nor did he seem to react to what Kai had said, but perhaps he would have raised an eyebrow if he had one to raise. “You want me to throw you up? Are you sure?”

It wasn’t a hard throw for the demvir, possessed as he was with massive size and hydraulic power, so it wasn’t a matter of ability. He regarded his young friend from his impassive face plate. “I don’t think I have time to ask exactly what you are up to, but I assume it involves those lightning rods.”

Pointing to a spot in front of him, he nodded. “Stand there and position yourself as need be. Give me a thumbs up when ready!”

Kai made the gesture once he was ready and Laermont took hold of the sniper’s legs, bending deeply and then explosively throwing himself up, hydraulic leg pistons and arm pistons adding massive power as the young man was launched high into the air. Kai soared upwards and if the demvir could have grimaced, it was likely that he would have been doing so. Once he was up and away, it was all the sniper’s judgement. The massive metal man had done his job.

May 16, 2019
Latens
560✦
Exa
⏆95,589
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
41⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
17⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
6⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
1516 until reinforcements arrive

"Oh. My. Vis. What are you!?!?!"

A look of excited awe stretched across the teen's face as she looked at the massive beast, all of her shock and concern at being yanked out of her perch gone and replaced by a dropped, but far from speechless, jaw as the glowing silhouette filled her vision.

"You're so fucking pretty! Where did you come from? The sky-no you're all tentacley you've gotta be a big squid thing right? Did you come from the ocean? Can you fly? I mean, how did you get here? I was just up here a second ago and I toottally missed you-OH! Are you a ninja? BLUE NINJA SQUID! OH NO! Does that mean you can't tell me where you got this blue from? What if I say pretty please? Can you tell me then? Would you tell me then? Can you at all? Can you even talk? Oh my where are my manners, what's your name? Mine's Gwendolyn but I don't have a last name, my sister didn't give me one cuz I guess she couldn't think of one at the moment but I guess that's a different story for a different time because we're talking about you right now and that's more presently important at the moment. Where did you get your name from? Your parents or did somebody give you your name? Is it a long name or a short name? Is it a specia-"

Unlike the girl's usual tirades, this one stretched beyond her tentacled victim and was debate ably intentional. Fear, stubborn courage, and genuine curiosity made a megaphone out of the air for the girl while she chattered at the beast, drawing attention to the beast while she tried to distract the monster with what had to be her strangest, loudest, and most purposeful string of panicked word salad to date.

Distraction!!!!
Burning "Lipservice" to distract Cete's child with Gwen's dazzling compliments to it's beauty in hopes it'll drop her to be a bit vain or out of annoyance.

Micali Alsara

Apr 8, 2019
Lucrus
www.postterminus.com
Latens
1,476✦
Exa
⏆100,000
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
[381]

The gunshots had been unmistakable - she knew that sound. She also knew that the naga had yet to use any such weapons. She waited, for a spell, then, with a brief mutter of curses under her breath, she jumped back out the window into the alleyways and moved toward the gunfire.

Sticking close to the walls, she ducked behind an overturned cart as a wave of naga retreated past her. Whatever force had arrived was clearly prepared to fend off the serpentine beings. She stood, running now, anticipation curling in her knuckles as the rain came down in streams. The closer she got, the more near-deafening the thunder became.

As she got closer, she considered climbing to a rooftop, but her memories of the cephalopodic creature from earlier that day deterred her. The lightning that crashed into a roof in the distance was another good incentive. From where she stood next to a large warehouse, she got a much better view of the encroaching forces. To the side she saw a body rocket upward, as if having been launched. Her eyes scanned further to her left, and saw...no.

Was...was Gwendolyn’s ranting...working?

Best not to leave it to chance.

Micali raised her rifle, and without a single thought, felt it recoil in her hands, separating the tentacle from its master. The beast let out a high-pitched squeal in pain, almost a whistle. The unmistakable patterning of feathers began to fall, and the sniper felt a sudden hope that the girl had a way to land safely.

Knowing that her position was likely compromised now, Micali ducked around the building she stood behind. If she could sneak behind the building beside her, she could probably avoid any close-quarters combat. Atop said building was a notable naga. Its arms were outstretched to the sky, fingers sparking with electric currents. As lightning struck again in the distance, she noted a surge in the magic surrounding the shaman. Before she risked running through the street, she lifted her rifle, and popped a single shot through its head.

Her feet then carried her behind the building it had been atop of. She was still behind enemy lines, but she could only hope, as she stopped to catch her breath, that she hadn’t been spotted.

Jun 15, 2019
Terminus
Latens
5,514✦
Exa
⏆49,657
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
[278]
853 words until reinforcements

The dust cleared around Amanita and her servant. The barrage of lightning had been right on top of them, but a series of barriers above her had absorbed most of the damage. She could still feel the electricity lingering in the air, snapping at her body. Her hair had frizzled from the strike.

"Amanita, are you alright?" one of the mercenaries asked. A few of them had banded together to create a shield.

"I am fine," Amanita stated. "Remain back and focus on defense. We need to figure out a way to stop the lightning." That was more of a problem than expected. In front of her, the acidic clouds had stopped coming in, but they were rolling in on itself, forming a wall. Then there was the thing that emerged next to her.

Amanita grimaced and held her shield up. A giant sea creature had broken out of the ocean held up by long tentacles. She stumbled back. "Focus on the keeping safe from the lightning," she ordered the others. "I'll try to do something about that."

Figuring out what to do was another matter. "Fire an Energy Burst," Amanita commanded. "Don't hit the talkative one." She ran to the warehouse, staying out of sight. Her body was pressed up against the building, but she was wary of stones falling from overhead. She wanted to get a better sense of what the creature looked like and how it was moving.

While that was happening, Memerosia opened a triangular portal made of metal. The servant smashed her hand into the portal, sending force a barrage of six energy bolts targeted at the main body of the sea creature.

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
8,028✦
Exa
⏆3,653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
In the flash of the next wave of lightning, Micali recognized her error. Teeth and weapons glinting in the lightning strikes, three naga warriors rushed toward her. No children or juveniles, these were full-grown ophidians, towering over the sniper even without considering the long, serpentine tails that slithered over the wet cobblestones toward her. They hissed out words she couldn't understand before the first one lunged at her with a trident. Micali managed to fall away from the wicked tips of the weapon, rifle clattering beside her as she hit the ground on her back, rolling away and back to her feet as the second naga hammered down at her with some kind of flail. The third had no weapons, but the thick scars all across its arms and torso made it seem no less dangerous as he reared up in front of her.

The wave of lightning also illuminated, through the thinning acid clouds, more of the spiked ophidians waiting for the men and women to break through. With a hiss and a crash, the lightning lures burst apart, and the streams of lightning scattered. Men and women ran and threw themselves out of the way as the bolts spread out randomly, flashing into the streets, the surrounding buildings, and off into the open water. More flames licked at the buildings, clinging even through the pouring rain.

Atop the lighthouse, Kaizaell for the first time got his eyes on the shamans. One down, four of them remained perched atop roofs surrounding the wharf. In the rain and howling winds, only the grace of the Vis would carry a shot to the two furthest from him, the sparks at their clawtips taunting him from the opposite sides of the docks. The one to his left, and one straight ahead, though -- those were well within range. Down below, he could also discern at least six of the spiked, acid-spitting snakes. He lifted his rifle, pointing from one shaman to the next, trying to pick his first shot before they finished summoning the next wave of lightning.

For the rest, they had bigger worries. The wicker worm flashed in seething green lights, blood gushing from the wounded limb. Its remaining tentacles grabbing onto the nearby buildings as it started toward the sniper, Gwen already forgotten before she landed roughly on the cobbled street below. With a shuddering snapping sound, it turned back almost as quickly as it started away, the smaller tendrils atop its head lashing angrily from the bolts of magic. The spell seemed to do little more than anger it.

Oh, how it angered it.

The wicker worm lunged over the warehouse, sweeping out with three tentacles at the demon and everyone nearby, clinging to the building. It passed through the lingering clouds of acid without a hint of care.

[471/4684]

Sorry, no prince/airship turns this round. Quick note, Moon, Aeria doesn't have a crew. These airships are very small. Sky Cutters, but I gave them each one extra seat for this plot: Stratus-Class Airship - "Sky Cutter"

Rather than a big Highwind-style airship, this is more of a personal craft.

Myst, I know Gwen is mostly stalling, but the wicker worm appears blue because of Hunter Eye. It's not specified in the spell, but I decided to give magic vision a blue tint here (like thermal vision, but... blue). Otherwise it's black and green.

Everyone, remember that this isn't meant to be turn-by-turn. You can do more than make one attack in a round. Bring in some of the NPCs if you want, but this is where your PCs get a chance to shine. Also please move your icons on the map. It's kind of difficult to figure out where everyone is meant to be.

Reinforcements should arrive soon, but I want you to try to take out as many of the red diamonds as possible before I write my next turn.

Laermont

Mar 11, 2019
Latens
3,380✦
Exa
⏆100,130
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
[246]
607 words left until reinforcements arrive.

Laermont's broad, tall, powerful frame filled the doorway of the lighthouse. His pistol was drawn and aimed, his heavy bladed cutlass was at hand as he stood guard, preventing any of the ground forces from reaching the sniper at the top of the tower. Any of the poisonous, spiky naga were shot once they were in range. The demvir was merciless and efficient, only reloading broke his pattern.

From around the other side of the lighthouse, a regular naga warrior came sliding. Laermont turned to face the creature and holstered his pistol, even as he drew his blade. The creature rushed him with a hiss and Laermont raised his heavy blade to block its trident attack. As he did so, he punched out with a massive fist that caught it in the side of the head with a crunch. The naga backed away, shaking its head, so the gigantic demvir advanced on it.

A hard swing of his sword at the neck of the disoriented naga saw its head separated from its shoulders. As if nothing had happened, Laermont returned to his task of firing on the poisonous naga, trying to kill as many as he could before they reached any vital fighters. The quaestor seemed to know his duty and was carrying it out to the best of his abilities. He had, of course, taken notice of the wicker worm but Kai needed assistance, especially to try and destroy the shamanic controllers of the naga.

Jun 15, 2019
Terminus
Latens
5,514✦
Exa
⏆49,657
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
[138]
469 Words until reinforcements

With the giant beast more focused on something else, Amanita made a run for Gwen. She kept the scutum raised but low enough that she could keep an eye on what was going on. The tentacles whipped everywhere, crushing into the walls of the warehouse and sending debris flying everywhere.

"Did you get hit?" Amanita asked Memerosia. Though they were apart, the two of them could still communicate.

"You got fat!"

That was the response. Amanita grimaced and took that as Memerosia was in an acceptable condition. "Stay out of that thing's way. We need something much more powerful to bring it down. Keep an eye on it, and keep me apprised to what it's doing."

Amanita slid to a stop next to Gwen with the scutum raised, covering the two of them. "Gwen, correct? Are you injured?"

Apr 3, 2020
Latens
2,543✦
Exa
⏆49,649
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Word Count[674/2538]
Reinforcements should arrive momentarily

Kaizaell grimaced as he pulled himself over the edge and up onto the top floor of the lighthouse. He’d barely made it, the memory of the hook almost not taking sent a chill down his spine but he shook his head and continued further in. He made a quick inspection of the area and was surprised to see no bodies or signs of struggle from up here.

Bringing his rifle up the young soldier saw what looked like a pair of ophidians very brazenly on the rooftops. They weren’t too far from each other and he couldn’t tell if they were just leading the battle or what they were doing until he saw the blue crackling energies twining up their arms. Like beacons in the night he looked further down and saw another pair closer to the other side of the docks.

Hell, only the Earth Mother herself could guarantee that shot, he thought to himself with a wry shake of the head and scoped back in on the closer two. He did some quick recon and saw a set of guards, the spiked warriors, seeming to wait on the edge of the acid wall and ready to strike if anyone braved the acids. They seemed immune, at least mostly so, to the effects of their own acids, but their brethren were not, he’d seen that with his own eyes.

The young man heard a shrill cry off to the east and he shook his head, trying to keep himself from being distracted, focusing on his breathing as he picked his target. The closer one would do first, then, if he was lucky, he could get the second one a few moments later. Too bad his rifle, one of the old Longinus models, were louder than a normal sniper rifle, but in exchange used bigger and more devastating rounds. It was good for intimidation, and would often send the enemies cowering for cover, but if he timed his shots right he may be able to get them without them knowing.

Breath in, his father’s voice whispered in the back of his mind, and he did so on simple instinct. Then depress the trigger as you breath out.

The gun bucked into his shoulder in a familiar way, causing him to grin as he swung the rifle over to the other caster, only lingering for a fraction of a moment as he saw the bullet strike its mark. The second naga froze for a moment before another shot rang out across the battlefield, barely covered by the crash of lightning hitting the ground nearby. As the second round rushed out the naga turned and attempted to flee, only to get struck in the head with the shot. It was like his face imploded inwards, as viscera and bone rushed out the back of where its skull once was. It crumpled to the ground as the mana needed for the magic went wild.

The lightning, with no guiding hand, ran rampant amongst the ordinary naga that were near where both casters had been stationed. They hissed and, no doubt, screamed in their shock and horror as bolts loosed amongst them, as if let loose by some god of storms that had been barely chained by the caster’s will.

Kaizaell grinned, then turned back into the lighthouse and went over to the centerpiece. There was a big switch and some gaskets, probably rather delicate work was needed to be put into place to get it working properly again, but he had no time for the gentle touch.

The dark haired laicar grabbed the handle of the switch and lifted it up with a loud clank, clicking it into the upright position. He only prayed that the thing had been set up properly and still had juice. He could feel a small buzzing and a gentle rumbling reverberate through the floor he was standing on and grinned again. If the captain had arranged for reinforcements then they’d no doubt need a light in the storm to guide them.

There should be a bright light coming from the lighthouse proper now, so hopefully this will help any Navy reinforcements for the northern assault and/or any reinforcements from TEP in getting safely to shore through the storm. Though it will paint a fairly big target on Kaizaell and Laermont.

Also, I've taken out the two Casters within range of Kai, so those should be marked off the map.

May 16, 2019
Latens
560✦
Exa
⏆95,589
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
41⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
17⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
6⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

A small grown came came as response, but the girl shook her head.

"No, I think I'm fine. At least mostly fine, whatever you can really consider calling fine after falling because a pretty blue tentacle picked you up and then showed you a bunch of other pretty blue tentacles all wrapped up like a knot because somebody shot it's tentacles off before it could tell you how it got so pretty and blue. At the very least I guess I'm not mad, because I'm pretty sure that was somebody that I know who made that shot, and I'm very glad to know that they did because if they made that shot then that means that they're okay and they didn't die when the ship blew up so I can feel a little bit less bad about not figuring out it was-"

She balled up her fist and shook it in front of her face like a detective failing to catch her target for the last time. "The right hand man!!!-Lady? Right hand lady!!!! That was the conduit but it's okay because Micali, at least I'm pretty sure, is okay and I'm not..." She rapidly patted herself down, notably checking her foot, for broken bones and winced when she reached her hip. "Mostly okay. How about you? I don't think we've met properly. You were on the Orca too right? Great! I'm Gwen and okay, but that's not my name. Are you okay? Actually what is being okay? That word is so subjec-"

The girl's panicked tirade from before seemed to have set off a wellspring of babbling in the girl. Now that Amanita was beside her, Amanita spent the first two seconds after asking Gwen a question having her ear assailed by the the world's most inane living typewriter at speeds that shouldn't have been possible. Visibly though, she seemed as fine as she sounded. She was dusty now and clearly bruised based on the way she winced when she moved, but clearly fine enough to pop around like a jumping bean.

The falling corner of wall that dropped out of the crumbling building now tested that would be assessment and may have also been a gift from the Vis since it shut Gwen up, with a sharp yelp of surprise, and sent her diving for cover.

Though cover meant the girl's brush was in hand and glittering brightly with a copper color and swishing rapidly at the air to- paint a picture into the air before her?

Gwen's rapidly brushing produced a oblong doorway that showed a rooftop with a naga dressed in practical and clearly specialized uniform made of dangling ribbons and chimes that flailed limply in the air, but must have been impressive under the sea.

Without a second thought, Gwen tumbled through the doorway as though it were just the thing to do and disappeared from Amanita's view. The wavering oval still sat in the air though, just as fine as it had been coming out of Gwen's brush, and tinged in copper around its edges.

It seemed to be begging her to follow the hellion that had made it. Or rather, screaming incessantly, considering the urgency and direness of the context.

On the other side now, Gwen stood in front of the naga some distance away, quickly drawing her bow to her cheek and still babbling to herself.

Gwen is using Open Portal skill from the Cantantus tree to go all Night Crawler on her problems.
I'm using the skill tree version of the Cantantus skill, *not* the shop version so I still have to fix Gwen's current spell list I think.

Idk whether Amanita will follow or not, I left it unclear. I'll be back to post again quickly after you do what Amanita does.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019
Terminus
Latens
5,514✦
Exa
⏆49,657
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Amanita barely had a chance to blink before the young girl was off. "I see," she stated as a portal shimmered in the air. Amanita grimaced and jumped through before it could close. She had no idea where it would take her, but there was little that she could do in her current position. Readying the scutum and gladius, she followed through.

They were in front of an ornate naga. The vile creature had a moment of surprise before catching its breath and starting the assualt. Amanita reacted just as fast, raising her scutum and stepping in front of Gwen, but a bit to the side, to avoid the point of the arrow. She braced the scutum using both arms as the naga shot forth a bolt of lightning.

The strike didn't shock Amanita in the arm. Energy covered her scutum. She let out a growl and deflected the attack aside with a wide swing, sending the blast into the roof.

"Take it out now, if you would."

Jun 14, 2019
Latens
2,260✦
Exa
⏆45,443
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
5⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Ignis returned Aeria's hug with a quick, tight squeeze of her own. Her grin faded a little at the mention of Deni, but it didn't disappear completely. Their talk the night before had helped the avian pull herself together, even if that composure was just enough to get her through this mission.

The enlil sat in the copilot's chair and strapped herself in, taking a moment to admire all the buttons, switches, levers and dials on the dashboard. She recognized the function of some of the controls, but was by no means skilled enough to pilot an aircraft. That was one skill Aeria had over her. Despite the circumstances, having the opportunity to observe someone navigating an airship and learn about piloting was still exciting. Or, it should have been, the pale enlil thought.

Even as she felt the aircraft lifting off the ground, Ignis' stomach felt heavy enough to keep them grounded.

Fortunately, Aeria provided the avian with something else to center her attention on.

"Got it, captain. Let's fly!" the rust-feathered woman cheered before adjusting the dial Aeria had indicated to tilt the wings.

#c22f5d

Micali Alsara

Apr 8, 2019
Lucrus
www.postterminus.com
Latens
1,476✦
Exa
⏆100,000
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
[802]

The flail swung forward, and Micali had little choice but to duck low, one hand supporting her weight as she sprung backward. The trident-bearing naga righted itself after her dodge, and she didn’t have time to process a thought before the brutish naga was upon her. She eyed her rifle before she slunk around the courtyard again, a hair’s breadth from one of them landing a hit. She thought to grab her pistol and shoot as she ran, she’d likely make the shot, but she had to recall that her pistol wasn’t silenced like her rifle was; using it would just as likely alert more to her presence.

The brutish one seemed to let the others take the lead, and Micali had to slide on her knees beneath the thrust of a trident over her head. As the trident collided with the stone wall, the flail wrapped around it, the two naga both too ambitious in their pursuits. She knew how to seize an opportunity, and wrapped one hand around the heavy trident, swung her body back and up behind the naga wielding it, grabbing the knife from her pocket and letting gravity bring it down into the throat of the surprised creature, landing on both feet, knees bent. Shocked, the naga let go of his weapon, removed the blade from his jugular, then toppled backward.

The flail-user was preoccupied with untangling its own weapon, but the brutish one was upon her. A heavy blow to her stomach sent Micali sliding across the wet courtyard. She heaved breath in and out, nails digging into the cobblestone. She heard the naga approaching from behind her some, but taking its time. She turned, and in the distance, as another round of lightning struck, she saw the glint of exposed gold; her auritium rifle, paint scratched off from the struggle. She began to crawl as best she could while air refused to fill her lungs. The slithering behind her got closer, and closer, as she clawed toward her best chance of survival.

Her hand reached the rough fabric of the rifle’s strap and she turned onto her back, seeing both naga approaching her. Before she could line up a shot, she was grabbed by her foot, and swung back and around the courtyard yet again. The taste of copper filled her mouth, and she felt the heat of dripping blood blend with the rainfall along her temple. Whether this was some kind of initiation or allowing a singular one of them to claim the kill for means of revenge, Micali didn’t know. As the two pressed on, unstoppable in their onslaught, she saw another shaman atop the roof where she’d just killed one. Its hands glowed likewise with the energy of the lightning. If she could time it right...she could almost swear she heard a Longinus in the distance, mirroring her thought. Not allowing herself to be distracted, she rolled to the side as the flail struck down where she’d been not a second earlier, cobblestone scattering about from the impact of the flail’s head. The two naga advanced as one now - it seemed they were done toying with her, likely now intent on killing her regardless of which one of them it was. Even still, they continued to underestimate her. The rifle popped quietly twice in her hand as the chest and head of the flail-wielding naga had bullets placed through them.

She took care of one, but she had left herself open to the other - and the brutish one took advantage of this, grabbing her and wresting the rifle from her hands. It threw her weapon to the side as its other hand wrapped around her throat. Micali squirmed, and one hand came to claw at the naga’s grip. She looked past it to the shaman in the distance, back turned. The sniper felt her windpipe restricting as the naga crushed her throat, her breath failing to come, and finally saw the telltale surge of magic around the rooftop shaman.

Her spare hand reached to the small of her back and pulled the pistol, emptying one, two, three, four shots into the head of the naga that gripped her as the thunder drowned out the gunshots.

They went down as one, the naga blood now covering her face being washed by the rain as she fell on her back, away from the fresh corpse. Gasping for air, she crawled to her rifle, and turned to the shaman, steadying her shot on the naga’s corpse before popping it in the back of the head. As the second shaman atop that roof collapsed, she allowed herself to collapse back down to her hands and knees, spitting blood and mucus from her mouth. She fell back, limbs splayed out, and struggled to catch her breath.

Aeria Luxus

Mar 11, 2019
Latens
4,570✦
Exa
⏆100,185
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Aeria increased the thrust to the auritium engines as Ignis trimmed them out with the fins. Now the Sky Cutter sat level and began to gain speed. The smooth thrum and powerful thrust made Aeria's face flush. It was as if the thrill of flying had seized her and wiped out any of the darkness that was lingering around her. Looking back, Aeria gave Ignis the instruction to angle the fins more, so that they could climb.

As they began to rise, she watched the altimeter and when they hit the Sky Cutter’s suggested cruising altitude, she reduced thrust and let the sail help them along. The majestic sensation of being airborne seemed to spread the smile wider over her face. Glancing back at Ignis, she flashed that smile at her friend. “Nothing beats the feeling of flying huh? I always forget how much the enlil part of me wishes that I was able to fly freely!”

Soon a more serious expression touched her fine features. Her tone seemed to take on a little more command, although tempered by her friendship with Ignis. “Go over and grab the first chart in the pile there, Ignis. I want you to tell me the coordinates for the last known location of Captain Garus’ ship that are marked there. I’ll bring our seer out once we get there, so that we can pinpoint where they might be.”

The auritium engines hummed along while Aeria waited for her co-pilot to give instructions. Once Ignis had established them, Aeria adjusted their course and glanced to Ignis again. “Well we have a little while…wanna tell me what happened with Deni? It might be the only chance we’re gonna get to talk about it.”

It only took minor corrections and the occasional glance at her instruments to keep the Sky Cutter in line and they were tracking for their destination. Once they made it to the area, it would be up to the Seer to direct them towards more precise locations and try to pinpoint precisely where the captain and Diamantus had ended up. Their condition was unknown, but right now the mission was merely one of searching for and hopefully recovering living people.

Flying over the waves was a hypnotic experience, so Aeria kept focusing on what Ignis was saying, trying to keep her mind active as they skimmed through the sky.
After Dys responds, I will write another turn as they reach their destination.]

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Latens
8,028✦
Exa
⏆3,653
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
2⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
4⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

"…my brain, or what was left of it," Gwen rambled on, drawing her bead and loosing the arrow before immediately turning to the little arcs of lightning racing across the water on the rooftop where Amanita deflected it. "Did you just catch the lightn--?" The shaman flinched back as the arrow thudded into its chest, clutching at the shaft before it slowly dropped to the ground, breath escaping in one final, long hiss.

With the shaman's death, no more lightning came crashing down, and even the storm clouds overhead seemed to thin, though they were far from dissipating.

On the ground, Laermont was a lone force of devastation, with a metallic body less susceptible to the gobs and clouds of acid. His boots had worn through to the metal underneath from stepping through the puddles left by the corpses. Splatters had burned holes through his clothes, scarring the lateris underneath but not quite eating through to the vital wiring, hoses, and gearwork. The larger clouds had been beaten down by the rain, as well, opening the way for more of the Orca's warriors to rush to his aid.

By now, though, only one ophidian remained. It looked at the uniformed velen rushing up with spears and swords, then looked at Laermont surrounded by the bodies of its comrades. With a resigned yet determined look, the naga lunged forward, shouting a battle cry in its native tongue. It spat into its own claws as it moved, torso dropping nearly to the ground as Laermont's pistol went off. The naga's body snapped upward, as fast as the snakes they so resembled, slashing with acid-coated claws.

The detective's cutlass cleaved through the arm and buried itself into the naga's chest. With its last breaths, the ophidian struggled to hold itself up straight, meeting Laermont's eyes with grudging respect. With its remaining strength, the scaly warrior grabbed the arm holding the sword, and as it slumped downward, the acid-tipped claws scratched four lines into the inside of Laermont's forearm.

Three warehouses were now fully engulfed in flames. The younger ophidians who had led the attack had not returned.

And yet, with the wicker worm unleashing its peculiar whistling shriek as it swiped and smashed at the Pelagian forces, battering warriors to the ground and slamming them into the nearby buildings, the dock was far from won.

The son of Cete flashed angrily, green lights undulating up its back to its tendril-covered head. Three tentacles had been severed and were still thrashing wildly on the ground.

Atop the lighthouse, the machinery blinked and sparked, hidden terra regia pulsing with new life before the light finally burst forth, cutting through the darkness and out into the ocean. Kaizaell swung his rifle around to the wicker worm, trying to figure out where to aim on the unknown monstrosity, when a sound caused him to hesitate.

It was the queer, whistling noise of the wicker worm, but not coming from the beast in front of him.

Kaizaell trusted his instincts and dropped down to his knees. A tentacle slammed into the top of the lighthouse, looping around it. With a fierce squeeze, the top of the building crumpled, snuffing the light and leaving Kai exposed out on the railing.

A second wicker worm.

It took the top of the lighthouse and threw it toward the men and women on the ground, flashing with green light as it called to its fellow eldritch abomination.

The dark sky flashed white-gold for an instant, brilliant golden lightning splitting through the air, striking the flying lighthouse debris just before the thunder followed. The force blasted the rubble apart, scattering it across the docks. For a moment, even with the good fortune, it seemed as if more shamans had arrived.

Then the prow of a ship appeared, sweeping down from the sky with streams of cloud chasing its swift form. On the ground, Captain Driweus alone received a message. The captain started shouting orders, calling for the Pelagians to form up.

A shot rang out from the ship, a pained whistle from the second wicker worm. The Sky Cutter turned in a tight circle, slowing from its breakneck speed. As it came around one side, two women leapt out onto the rooftop where Gwen and Amanita stood, both rolling and coming up on their feet.

The ship came in low, slowing just long enough for two velen to jump out next to Captain Driweus. The uniformed velen from the Orca snapped to attention, shock and awe in their eyes.

"Stop saluting me," Prince Caput ordered, drawing his slender sword and turning toward the wounded wicker worm. A shrill whistle sounded as a green disc formed in front of the prince. "Attack!" His free hand struck the portal, unleashing a barrage of thin green beams of light at the beast.

The airship boosted back to speed, shooting away with its precious cargo to circle the battlefield.

[823/5507]

Prince Caput, Deni, Keydis, and Red join the fray.

A second wicker worm joins the fray.

Aelflead and Dante's airship will split off into its own thread.

Ignis and Aeria's airship will split off into their own thread with Garus, Diamantus, and Lea.

Inks

Feb 20, 2010
Latens
5,965✦
Exa
⏆3,637
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
“What the fuck?” Red hissed, Dextera already out of its holster and in her hand as she came up on her feet beside Keydis and two other women already on the ground. Her gunmetal-gray eyes fixed on the nightmare of a horizon that met them. On the two towering wicker worms off in the distance. For a long, awful moment, she froze. “...What the fuck...” she muttered, softer this time.

She’d spent the entirety of their voyage checking and re-checking her two revolvers, neurotically running her fingers over the mechanisms of the weapons - as much for the comfort and familiarity as to ensure they were in working condition when they arrived. She’d counted her bullets; once, twice, three times to be absolutely sure. Now, though, those efforts felt like a moot point; what good would a bullet - a handful of bullets, even - do here? Against those?

Abruptly, Red realized that she didn’t belong here. This was a place for fighters, warriors and soldiers. Men and women who had fought their whole lives, who knew what it meant to die for a cause. People braver than her. More capable than her. Who was she? Some nobody mercenary? A rich girl who’d run off to play pretend? Panic twisted her stomach and cinched tight in her chest.

Stop. Stop it! You’re here now, she snarled to herself. The fuck are you gonna do? Run? Hide? Cry? Her gaze cut to Keydis for a heartbeat; that was all it took. Red sucked a breath in through her teeth. Her gun hands shook as she drew Sinistra and held both revolvers aloft. The closer wicker worm was still outside of her revolvers’ optimal range, but Red would have to be blind to miss it - even from this distance. She took aim, took another sharp breath, and fired.

[316 / 508]
Left Today at 12:57 AM
red channeling some good mitsu 'AAAAAAAAAA' /fighting 'AAAAAAA' energy here

Patreon

Writing Week is 502

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis