[Short Story] Week 393: The Prince or the Pauper

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Total Word Count: 20024

The Prince or the Pauper

Prologue​

"Welcome, everyone, to Castle Arbus. How is everyone doing today? I hope you are all ready for a day of learning and fun!" A velen dressed in a sharp uniform stood in front of a group of people. He was holding up a flag with a letter on it as an easy visible signal. "My name is Karda, and I'll be your tour guide."

He stood at the base of grand stone steps. They led up to a set of heavy wooden doors attached to a building made of giant stone blocks. Ornate and decorative carvings gave wonder and life to the area. Towers stood tall in the sky keeping watch over the land. Flags waved in the gentle breeze.

"While we call this place Castle Arbus now, that is not its original name," the guide said. "Arbus is the name of the last royal family to rule over these lands. This castle was originally known as the Rounding Stones. Monarchy in this region ended one hundred years ago, but the Arbus family is still around. They have graciously opened the doors to their old home to allow everyone to partake in the history. Now, let's get started up these steps!"

Karda led people through a luxurious castle, at least for the old days. There were signs that the place had been restored. The floors were new wood instead of the original cold stone. Some of the bricks in the wall had to be replaced while one spot was just left open because of historical value.

"Sir," Karda said. "This way, please. Stay with the group."

"Hmm?" a young man said. He was a thin and short velen. His frame made the fins pop out even more. "Oh, I was just looking at these portraits of the kings and queens that ruled over these lands."

"Of course. We will get to see them, but that is a later part of the tour."

"Can't we just skip to this part? I am interested in one particular king."

Karda frowned while beckoning the young man over. "Sir, we have to follow the tour. I know the portrait hallway is very popular, believe me, but we will get to see it later. You don't want to miss all of the other things we have to show. There is a lot of history among the castle, more than just the people that ruled it."

The young man sighed. "Yes, of course. Lead on." He waved the tour guide along. He was only half listening to what was being said. There was something about drafts in the sun room. A tapestry gift from a foreign king. A dog door in the kitchen that was pretty big since the dogs were huge. A conspicuous empty spot on the mantle once held a treasure belonging to a rival king, but that was returned fifty years ago. It was going to be an entirely different tour and a different castle for the people that wanted to see that artifact.

None of it were things he cared about. He also already knew most of the history of Castle Arbus and the old kingdom of Arbus. The man nodded along with what the tour guide was saying. The history matched up to what he already studied. He spent most of the time looking around, getting a better sense of the castle.

What the man really wanted to know about was one particular king, and he felt it would be best to get the information on location. Finally, they were at the portrait hall where all of the old rulers were on display. The janitor that was cleaning the frames stepped aside for the guide to properly show things off. Karda took his time going through all of the kings and queens starting from the earliest one, but the young man jumped ahead.

"Can you tell me about this king, Nikto Arbus III?" he asked. The portrait was of a regal laicar man. He wore a fancy coat with large shoulders. A soft smile was set into his rectangular face. Short brown hair swooped across his head, ending in a charming curl.

The tour guide sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Sure. Why not jump ahead for a bit. Though I don't know why you're focused on Nikto III. His rule was largely unremarkable. It was stable and peaceful."

"I'm interested in what happened before he became king, when he was still Prince Nikto." The young man's eyes grew sharp, and his fins flared open. He leaned in with a confident smirk. "What do you think about the tales that this isn't really Prince Nikto? That the real prince died and was secretly replaced so as to not change the order of power within the kingdom?"

Karda waved his hand. "I've heard of those stories, but I think they're just conjecture."

"I don't. Surely you've seen some records that there was a man back then that looked exactly like Prince Nikto. His name was Llan something-or-other."

"I've heard of something like that, but that hardly proves anything."

"Not by itself," the young velen said. "However, there seems to be a concerted effort to erase that man from any historical mentions. I have seen two different versions of census records, one that had him and a later edition that removed him entirely. It wasn't just that, there were other documents that have parts missing entirely that would have mentioned him."

Karda shook his head. "That's nonsense. Why would any documents repeatedly mention a random villager? I've heard all of the theories, but this Llan person just wasn't important enough."

"Not by himself, no, but when you look like the prince, I think people will talk about it. Not only that, I think the switch took place when Prince Nikto became king. There was an uncharacteristic time right after he took the throne where he became reclusive. It wasn't long, but it was noticeable based on his previous behavior."

"He became the king because his father died. I think that's a fine excuse to want to be alone for a bit. Listen, sir, you're holding up the tour."

The other members of the tour didn't seem to mind. They keenly looked on at the conversation, feeling like they were gleaming into something the official story didn't want to be let out.

The young man held out his hand. "My name is Maclos, and I'm a student of history. I've been writing my paper on the Arbus family, and especially on Prince Nikto Arbus III. From all I've researched, I think there is something to the theory that he had secretly been replaced. Are there any official archives here that I can take a look at or something?"

"No," Karda said. "Even if there was, this tour guide is not the place to ask. If you want to speak to the people running the castle, make an appointment." The guide's tone had grown snippy. He looked back at the group. "Come on, now. We do have a schedule to keep. There will be more time for questions and answers later." He glared at the young man. "From others."

The tour moved on going through the different nobles and Arbus family members. Maclos stayed behind, though, staring at the portrait of King Nikto III. He had his arms folded with a frown. While it was true that the idea King Nikto III was really someone else was just a theory, it wasn't as crazy as it seemed. If Maclos could find some sort of proof, one way or another, he could finish his research paper on the subject and present his findings to the education board.

"Hey," a rough voice said.

Maclos looked around. The janitor was looking at him. He was a gruff laicar man that looked older than his body suggested. While he was strong and moved full of vigor, his skin was cracked and wrinkled. A rough white beard covered the lower half of his face. A pair of weary eyes peered out. The nametag on his uniform read, "Daveon."

"Oh, yeah, I know. I'm going back to the group," Maclos said.

"Not that. If you don't want to listen to the tour, I'm not going to make you. Vis knows I've heard it enough times by now." He let out a laugh. A large hand patted Maclos on the back. It was enough to send the scrawny velen into a tumble. "Sorry about that. I heard you wanted to know more about King Nikto III. I've got some story for you if that's the case."

The annoyance in Maclos's face turned to curiosity. "You do?"

"Yeah. Come talk to me after work. I get off at seven, so meet me by the front door if you want to hear something about it." The janitor laughed and nudged Maclos back towards the tour group.

Maclos's interest was piqued. He wanted to know more right then and there, but the janitor had already gone off. The young researcher shook his head and returned to the tour group. Even after everything was, he remained around Castle Arbus. There was a gift shop with replica designs of popular castle paintings, commemorative coasters and more. None of it interested him. It was just tacky things for tourists.

Finally, it was seven in the evening. The sun had set over the castle, but modern lights kept the area bright. The front doors were closed and locked. The staff was cleaning up for the day and preparing for the next. The janitor came walking out of the front, having changed out of his uniform to something more casual and comforting. Rolled up sleeves showed off toned arms.

"Oh, you're here." The janitor waved.

"Yeah," Maclos said. There were hints of annoyance in his voice, and his hands were on his hips. "I hope you have something good to tell me."

"Don't worry. But come. You don't want to talk out here, do you?"

"Where are we going?"

"To the fanciest restaurant around that doesn't need a reservation." The janitor let out a rumbling laugh. "And you're paying, history guy."

"What?" Maclos said. "Why?"

"You don't think you're going to get my story for free, do you?"

The janitor was already walking away. His huge feet thumped on the ground. Maclos ran to catch up to the man's long strides. "Hey, how do I know what you're saying is worth it?"

"You want to know if King Nikto III is really King Nikto III, don't you? I have that answer," the janitor stated. "If you don't want to know, then you don't have to come. I'll just go eat at my usual food cart."

Maclos clenched his teeth and checked his wallet. Being a student of history, he wasn't exactly well off. There was enough money for a meal. Maybe. "No more than one drink," he said.

"Fine."

Castle Arbus was a popular tourist destination, so there were a lot of restaurants around. They were all flashy and bright, but the janitor didn't go to any of them. He chose a small, out of the way place hidden within the local neighborhood. Lively conversation came from the front door. Light slid between the gaps of the shutters. The inside was comfortable with solid, wooden furnishings.

"A table for two," the janitor said to the host.

Once they were seated, the janitor took no time before going through the menu. The waiter hadn't even left before he put in a request for an appetizer first. Maclos was sitting there with his arms folded and teeth grinding.

"Alright, alright, before you start ordering everything, why don't we begin? Nikto III, was he the prince or the pauper?"

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 1​

Year 322 P.T.

Rounding Stones, the castle of the Arbus family stood in the distance. It was the largest structure around, visible to all. Surrounding it were open plains filled with small settlements and farmland. Off in the distance, a ridgeline of mountains crossed the horizon.

The people of the kingdom enjoyed simple lives with only the occasional foreign invader to worry about. Sure, there was some pillaging that went on, but that was a sign of their prosperity within the world that others wanted their resources. During the calm times, the people farmed, harvested and then had festivals to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Llan Stables worked at a farm, though not in the stables. He was good with animals and was one of the drivers used to bring produce to the city and the markets. Llan was a boy of fifteen years. He had long, brown hair that was tied up into a protective bun. His smooth face showed off a square chin.

He was riding on a wagon and steering an ox into town. The back was loaded up with sacks of potatoes, carrots, onions and more. The town sat near the castle and was one of their suppliers. The style of building reflected a more well-off life. The roads were also paved for an easier time getting around.

It wasn't just Llan's wagon going about. There were deliveries coming in from all over as well as traders from other kingdoms seeking to do business. The boy had to carefully steer his goods through the streets as the people on foot avoided getting ran over.

Llan turned into the street behind the marketplace where the distributor was waiting. The ox came to a stop shaded by the walls of the storehouse nearby. "Good morning, Brais," he called out.

A short enlil came out of the building. It was tough to tell if he was pudgy or just fluffy with feathers, but he certainly puffed out his clothes. "Great, you're here. Get unloading. I am running low on stock."

"You have to pay and sign here first." Llan held out the order form with the requested items.

"Oh, right, right," the enlil said. He mumbled while looking over the order form and then signed with a huge signature that ran over the entire page. He counted out the appropriate amount of exa. "There you go."

"Great." With payment stored away inside the lockbox on the wagon, Llan set off to work unloading the produce from the farms. He had to bring off all the crates and sacks alone. Llan didn't have the strongest body, but he did his work as fast as possible. The sooner he was finished, the sooner he would move on to the next delivery.

While working, a voice spurted out, "Hey, is that Prince Nikto?"

Llan looked over with a frown.

"Wait, no, are you?" A confused-looking laicar was standing there.

Llan glanced over to Brais. "Is this a new hire?"

"New hire," the enlil confirmed. "No, this is not Prince Nikto. What would the prince be doing delivering carrots to me?"

"I just thought," the man said. "I mean, if you cleaned up a bit, you would look just like the prince. Has anyone ever told you that?"

Llan nodded. "It has been said once or twice before," he said while dragging over a sack of onions.

Brais laughed. "Even I was shocked the first time I saw him. Llan really does have that face, doesn't he?"

The stall worker looked on curiously. "Have you ever tried to sneak into the castle?"

"What?" Llan said. "No. I don't think that would be a good idea at all because the actual prince is likely there."

"Yeah, that's true. Still, if you could, would you sneak into the castle and live like the prince?"

Llan paused to think, using the opportunity to take a break. He sat at the edge of the wagon. "I think it might be fun for a bit, but I wouldn't want to live there all the time."

"Really? Why not? I think being the prince would be great," the worker said.

"I think the prince and the rest of the royal family are dealing with things that I really don't want to. Ordering people around might be fun, but figuring out what to do about foreign threats is not. Besides, the king just died. I don't think being the prince is really fun right about now."

"Oh, yeah." The worker lowered his head. "I'll miss King Nikto. At least everything seems stable, though. No one is trying to start a war with us or anything!"

Brais scowled. "Don't say things like that, you jinx. Stop talking and get back to work."

"Yes, boss," the man said.

Llan stood up. He also had to finish making the deliveries. While he was working, he was able to see the castle peeking over the rooftops. It stood majestic and strong despite the current problems within its walls. He felt confident that the kingdom could weather the sudden loss of King Nikto.

<><><>

Rounding Stones, the home of the Arbus family. It was a place filled with the finest things, from food to furniture. Prince Nikto's room was comfortable with a canopy bed providing a tranquil place to sleep. The smaller windows left the room stale and hot during the warmer days such as the one he was in. The light, airy blankets did much to keep him cool.

Though Nikto was lying in bed, he wasn't sleeping. He stared up at the stone ceiling. It was painted with a colorful pattern, bringing some liveliness to the room.

A knock came at the door. The prince didn't respond. Then the knock came again.

Nikto let out a sigh. "Come on in."

It was one of the castle maids. Shelby was her name. She was a pudgy laicar woman with a round nose and rosy cheeks. "Good morning, Prince Nikto. Oh," she gasped. "I mean, King Nikto."

"No," Nikto said as he sat up. "Sorry. I mean, I'm not the king. Just prince is fine." The young prince was fifteen years of age. He had long, flowing brown hair that drifted across this face. It had a charming appeal, even after having just woken up. He had a more rectangular face with soft features.

"You aren't the king, yet," Shelby said as she pulled open the curtains to the room. Warm sunlight managed to fill the space even through the small windows. "You will be, soon. If I may say, my lord, I know you're a bit apprehensive, but you have a lot of smart advisors that will help you."

Nikto shook his head. "I don't want to think about it right now, Shelby. You don't need to worry about me. I'll feel better about it by tomorrow. I'm sure of it."

Shelby nodded. "Of course, my lord. Do remember that you have an important dinner tonight."

"Oh, right," Nikto mumbled. He walked over to the armoire while the maid tidied up his bed. It wasn't just one piece of furniture that held his clothes. There was a dresser and a chest of drawers as well. A full length mirror stood nearby. Nitko pulled open the armoire to see fine silk shirts, pants and more hung up. There was always so much choice that he wasn't sure what to pick.

After pulling out a few random articles of clothing, he laid them out on the bed. "What do you think, Shelby?"

"I think the blue shoes would match the pants and jacket more."

"Ah, is that so?" Nikto returned to the shoe closet that held footwear of every style and color. "Something like this?" He picked out a pair of dark boots with blue accents.

"Yes. That would look great! Do you need help getting dressed?"

"I can do that myself."

Shelby bowed. "I will have breakfast waiting for you in the dining room."

"Thanks."

Nikto slowly got dressed. He sighed and looked around the bedroom. It was already looking clean and tidy, ready for the next night. He looked out the window. His room faced the backyard of the castle. With the walls, it was difficult to see any of the surrounding settlements.

Walking through the castle, the servants all greeted the prince. They tried to be upbeat, but he could see the sadness and worry in their eyes. They also missed King Nikto. The prince maintained a straight stance with shoulders back and chest out. He wanted to project confidence. It was something that he should do.

Breakfast that morning was a private one with only him and Queen Elliane Arbus in attendance. After the maids placed down a meal of eggs, bacon, pastries and fresh cut fruit, they left the dining hall.

The queen smiled. She had a slender, flowing figure accentuated by the style of dress she wore. The bold red color gave her vibrancy and contrasted well against her long, brown hair. Her face was rounder with high, full cheeks. Large eyes took in the room.

"Good morning, Queen Elliane," Nikto said. He took the seat next to hers.

"Now, now, you don't need to call me that," Queen Elliane said. "You can call me mother. Really, I insist that you do."

"Alright. Mother."

The two of them shared a smirk. It was enough to brighten the mood within the dining room.

Queen Elliane stared at Nikto. "You do really have his smile." She glanced up thoughtfully and let out a soft sigh. "It's quite something. I wonder what King Nikto would have thought of all this?"

"I don't think he would have laughed. He really wasn't a humorous guy."

"King Nikto had his moments, but it's the job of ruling. It does slowly change a person. Being able to maintain your light and smile among all these troubles is difficult to do."

Nikto stared down at his plate. "Being a king sounds so difficult."

"It is, but remember, a king doesn't do it alone. He has advisors, counselors and more. It's encouraged, really. So even if the final decision does rest with the king, he still consults people to make those choices."

Nikto smiled and nodded. "About tonight's dinner, are you going to be there?"

"I'm afraid not," Queen Elliane said sadly. "I've been called away on business."

"So it's just going to be me?"

"Don't worry." The queen's voice was firm and soothing. "It's just a simple dinner with some of King Nikto's advisors. You don't need to talk much if you don't want to. If I know them, they'll want to do all of the talking. There's no need to make any decisions then. Just enjoy the meal."

Nikto was still nervous, but he gave a solid nod.

The two of them spent a nice, slow morning eating breakfast and enjoying the day. It was warm with the sun shining bright. White fluffy clouds drifted across the sky. A boorish knocking came at the door bringing an end to the tranquility.

"Come in," Queen Elliane said.

A young man, slightly older than Nikto, walked in. He was tall with broad shoulders and a muscular frame. He was dressed in padded cloth armor with a sword hanging at his side. The man was Charo Marguli, a member of the castle guards. He happened to know Prince Nikto more than the other guards just because they were close in age. The young man bowed. "Good morning, Queen Elliane, Prince Nikto."

"Is something the matter?" Queen Elliane asked.

"Everything is fine." Charo remained in a bow. "I didn't realize Prince Nikto was having breakfast with you. I was just interested in speaking with him."

"Go on. Don't let me stop you."

Charo turned to the prince. "Are you still having breakfast? You know we're supposed to have our workout and training session, right? How can you exercise after eating all those pastries?"

Prince Nikto put down the tart. "Hey. I'm sorry. It must have slipped my mind. I really don't feel up to it today."

"Not many people do feel like working out, but once you start, it gets easier. And I think sticking to a routine is good, especially right now." Charo lowered his head with a hand across his chest.

Nikto smiled. "Let me slide this one time. You can train me twice as hard next time."

Charo pointed. "Alright, Prince Nikto, I'll hold you to it. How are you feeling though? Is there anything I can help you with?"

"No. I'll manage. Thanks, Charo."

"Alright." Charo looked around. "Then what should I do with the time I carved out for our training? Do you know Alfin's kid? He's kind of scrawny and could use a good workout. Let's see what he says." Charo bowed again before leaving the dining room.

Nikto wanted some peace and quiet that day. It was simple and easy to not worry about anything, just relax and put the world out of his mind. Except for later that evening when he had to attend the dinner with the king's advisors. He was considering canceling that, too, but wasn't sure if he had the authority to do that. He let out a sigh while stuffing the tart into his mouth. The sweet and sourness of the filling mixed with the buttery crust made him feel better.

When breakfast finished, Queen Elliane stood up. Turning to Nikto, she said, "Since you're not busy today, how would you like to take a walk with me? Just the two of us."

"Yeah. I'd like that."

The queen and prince strolled through the castle halls. Nikto had seen it all before, but he still took the time to appreciate how much work and effort went into the building. At the end, they found themselves in the throne room. It was a grand space with high, arched ceilings. High windows let sunlight fill the room.

A long carpet led to the thrones. The main one in the center was made of solid oak. The deep wood tone was adorned by gems and intricate carvings. The other thrones were smaller but no less detailed. They were brought out and put away depending on the amount of family the king had.

Queen Elliane strode up to the king's throne. It stood taller than her and seemed to gaze out at the entire room. Her finger ran along the armrest. "Would you like to try sitting on the king's throne?"

"Is that alright?" Nikto asked.

"Why wouldn't it be? Besides, there's no one around."

Ever since the king died, the throne room had remained unused, and it would be so until Nikto was officially crowned the new king. It was just the two of them within the gigantic space.

The prince sat down on the throne. Even with a cushion, the seat was hard. He found it tough to get comfortable. He shifted around, finding it difficult to use both armrests at once. There was so much space around him with the back of the throne looming over him.

Queen Elliane looked from the front. Then she took her throne, the one to the right of the King's. "What do you think?"

"It's too large for me." Prince Nikto hopped off. "This entire room looks so different when you see it sitting on the throne." He shook his head. "Let's go somewhere else."

Queen Elliane frowned and shook her head. "Of course. You choose where you want to go next." She extended her arm to the door.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 2​

After a long day of work, Llan returned home. His clothes were covered in dirt and sweat. They had picked up a few new strange odors as well. Though he was tired, there was a certain joyous feeling at having accomplished a set of tasks and then getting to rest afterwards.

His home was far from the castle, among the fields, farms and orchards. It was a simple log structure that used mud, grass and other kinds of mixtures to patch up the gaps in the walls. The roof was thatched. There was only one large room.

He lived in a small community where people helped each other out. There was a local blacksmith, a local weaver, a local carpenter and more. Llan's mother, Geraldine, made and fixed baskets, an important task that allowed the crop pickers to do their work. Llan's father was an adventurer. He was the kind of person that was gone for months at a time and thought it would all be alright if he came back with a grand present and a wondrous tale. For the most part, the dynamic worked for the family.

Llan greeted the room with a smile and wave. "I'm back."

Geraldine was already home and working on dinner. The entire room smelled of floral herbs and savory grease. She had a pot and two pans going on the stove at once. The roaring flame warmed up the home against the cold winds outside.

"Welcome back!" Geraldine said. Her long fingers deftly manipulated a spoon as it stirred a pot of stew. At the same time, she was making a pan sauce using flour to thicken it. "How was your day?" She was a woman that looked older than she really was from long days of work. Still, there was vibrant joy in her eyes and a spring in her step. Her long blonde hair was tied up into a bun. A long nose took over the center of her face.

Llan pulled off his dirty boots, finally letting his toes breathe. "It was fine. About the same as always. How did your day go?"

"It was fun. I mostly chatted with the girls while we worked."

Llan came over. "What are you making? This smells fantastic."

Geraldine spun around using a spoon to keep the boy at bay. "Go wash up before you start trekking dirt all through the house. You know the rules. And bring back some more water while you're at it."

Llan burst out laughing. "Yes, you're right. Forgive me for being rude." After he cleaned up a bit from the nearby well, he lugged back a bucket of fresh water. The scrub and rinse did wonders for the smell in the air.

"Dinner's almost ready," Geraldine said. "I splurged a bit today, getting some finer ingredients. I think you deserve it after all the work you've been doing. I'm not getting any more complaints, so you're doing something right."

"You didn't have to do that. I like your cooking because you make it. It just feels so warm and inviting."

"Of course it does. I know what I'm doing. You could stand to learn a thing or two about cooking, even if you don't really need it. It's a good skill to have. Anyway, we're having pan seared venison with a cream sauce. I also have vegetable soup with leeks and yams. The bread I didn't bake, but it was fresh when I bought it this morning!" Geraldine barked out a laugh. "Go set the table."

"Yes, ma'am," Llan said.

The two of them shared a nice, warming meal. Llan was still a growing boy, and after a long day's work, he was famished. He had two bowls of soup, half the loaf of bread and a large slice of venison.

Sometimes, Geraldine just sat there and stared. "Sheesh, calm down a bit."

Llan swallowed what he had in his mouth. "I apologize. Everything here is just so good, though."

"I'm not saying you can't eat more, just don't eat so fast you choke."

"Yes, of course." Llan took a breath and slowed down. He continued to enjoy a nice warm meal inside the cozy little cottage.

<><><>

It was time for dinner. Prince Nikto sighed as he got dressed in a formal suit. The collar was high and stiff. The coat had a tailored waist bringing out a strong V shape to his body. His hair was combed neat. Though it all felt stuffy, he had to admit he looked good.

"Are you ready to go, Prince Nikto?" Shelby asked.

"Yes," he said reluctantly. He would much prefer to do something simple for the evening. A prince had responsibilities, though. "Let's go."

While it wasn't late in the evening, the castle felt empty. It was full of long hallways lit by wall sconces. All unnecessary servants had been ordered away from the dining area, so it was just Prince Nikto and the two advisors he was having dinner with.

Shelby dropped the prince off by the entrance to the dining hall. She bowed her head. "Have a good meal."

"Thanks."

Prince Nikto took a deep breath and then stepped through the doorway.

The room had been rearranged for a small dinner with a table set for three people in the middle. The curtains were closed with lamps giving intimate lighting. Both advisors were already there. Nikto had to remember exactly what their relation was to the king. It wasn't enough to be approximate. He had to get it right on the dot. The people of high society were particular about their lineage and family relationships.

One advisor was Jhori Benkal, Nikto's uncle on his father's side and the cousin to the king. He was a tall man that was known for his well-groomed beard. No one had seen his mouth in decades. He black hair was thinning, though, with a wide forehead in prominent display.

The second advisor was Niall Luxland, one of the noble families that was part of the Arbus kingdom for a long time. Her grandfather was married to Nikto's great aunt, though that was the second marriage. She was an enlil with bronze feathers. A fluffy scarf around her neck was styled like down giving her a more youthful look, though her eyes were clear and sharp.

"Good evening, Prince Nikto!" Niall said. There was a song-like trill to her voice. "We're so glad you could make it."

Nikto nodded. "Lady Luxland, Lord Benkal."

Jhori said, "Come on, my boy, you can call me Jhori. I know this looks like a formal dinner, but it doesn't need to be that stuffy."

Without any servants in the room, Jhori pulled out a seat for Prince Nikto. He was in the center while the two advisors sat next to him. Jhori rang the dinner bell. Servants pushed out a cart from the door that led to the kitchen.

Dinner for the evening was whole roasted squab with a herby butter sauce. There was a side of fire roasted vegetables, a starter of poached shrimp and a fresh salad. Once everything was placed, the servants bowed as they left.

Jhori didn't start eating, though he had his knife and fork in hand. "How are you doing, my boy? Oh, I should stop calling you that, shouldn't I? You're going to be king soon."

"I am," Nikto sighed. "Still, it's okay. You can continue to call me how you like, at least when we're not in official business."

"Of course."

Niall leaned over. "So, Prince Nikto, what are some of your thoughts on how to run the kingdom?"

"For now, I am just going to continue what King Arbus, my father, was doing."

"Come on, now. Surely, you have some of your own thoughts. Your father was a good king, but there are some things that could be different."

"I have a feeling you two have some thoughts?"

Jhori nodded. "Yes. Our kingdom currently conducts most of our foreign trade through Habel."

Nkto thought back to the geography and politics lessons. Habel was a nearby kingdom to the north. It was smaller than Arbus, but it was prosperous because it was in a good location for trade. Many different kingdoms passed through Habel.

"Imagine the kind of wealth and power we could wield if we controlled Habel."

"What are you talking about?" Nikto raised a brow. He was eating, but he stopped to listen more intently.

"Your father, vis bless him, was always bemoaning the high prices charged by Habel when conducting trade there, but the access to other kingdoms was just too good. We could have all of that power and wealth. All we have to do is take it."

"Are you talking about invading Habel?"

"Yes. This will be a war we can easily win. We have far more military might."

"Wait, no," Nikto gasped while shaking his head. "What about the other kingdoms that do trade there? They won't stand for it!"

Niall laughed. "That's not going to be a problem. We're the closest kingdom to Habel, so by the time the others can react, we'll have secured our position already. All we have to do is maintain the already agreed upon deals. They won't have any reason to try and stop us. The only difference is all of the money will be flowing to our coffers instead."

"We just need to strike hard and decisively," Jhori growled and slammed his fist onto the table.

Nikto stood up and backed away. Sweat poured down his flushed face. "No way! I'm not sending our kingdom to war just to make us richer."

"It's not just richer, it is more powerful, to secure ourselves for generations to come," Jhori stated.

Niall was still smirking as she waved around a fork. "Besides, you have to. We have already started our plans. With a new king comes new policy. What better way to cement your power than to make your kingdom wealthy? Everyone will benefit."

Nikto shook his head. "No. It's wrong, and I won't have it happen. Whatever you two are doing, you have to stop."

"It's too late for that," Niall sang. "There are people already in place at Habel."

"Then I'll just have to send a message to Habel warning them. You two will not start a war over your ambitions of power or wealth." Nikto tried to open the dining room door, but it was locked. He pounded on it until he was short of breath, but no one came.

"You don't have any vision," Jhori said. "I have tried time and time again to get King Nikto to expand our power. We can have it all! But he refused. I thought you would be more amenable to it, but it seems you wouldn't be. You're too much like the old king."

Nikto was doubled over, clutching his chest.

"I was going to give you the antidote if you agreed with my plan, but if you insist on being a nuisance, I have no further need of you."

"Antidote?" Nikto choked out. His vision was blurry. His heart was beating so fast it hurt. Every joint in his body ached.

"I can't stand seeing what your family of weaklings is doing to the kingdom." Jhori strode over to the young prince with a frown. "In order for us to continue to grow, we can't have your ideas holding us back."

"The people won't just accept this," Nikto said.

Niall walked over, still with some squab on her fork. "That's true, a sudden change in power isn't good. That's why there will still be a King Nikto. I've heard and seen a young man that lives in a nearby farm that looks exactly like you, Prince Nikto. He'll be easy to control and no one will be any wiser that we're pulling the strings."

Jhori added, "Yes. What I want is a puppet that will do as I say. That way the kingdom can continue on as normal. The last thing I want to do is destabilize Arbus. All I seek is to serve it, and this is the best way I can think to do it."

Darkness crept all around Nikto. It was a biting cold seeping into his flesh. "You won't," he wheezed. "You won't get away with this. Because...." The young prince's voice faded. He collapsed to the ground.

<><><>

Llan and Geraldine were finishing up for the night. There was so much food that even the young man couldn't finish it all.

Geraldine was at the wash basin. The dirty plates would soak for a bit before getting wiped off. Soap was only reserved for the most dirty of messes. Llan was covering up the leftovers of their dinner under large baskets. The weave was tight enough to stop most insects from getting in.

A banging came at the door. Both of them stopped. Who could it be so late at night? Not only that, the sound boomed through the room and shook the door. It sounded like someone was trying to break in.

The wood creaked and groaned as they cracked into splinters. The people outside were trying to break in!

Llan shielded Geraldine as the door burst open. Two men stepped in, both wearing fine equipment. These were no ordinary ruffians. The sigil of the kingdom was on their chests. They were soldiers from the castle!

"Llan Stables, your kingdom has need of your services," one of the soldiers said.

"What? What do you mean?" Llan yelped.

"That's not something to be discussed here. We are leaving, now."

The two soldiers grabbed the young man by the arms.

Geraldine ran forwards, her eyes wide with panic. "Wait! You can't do this!"

"This doesn't concern you. Your son will be doing the kingdom a great service. You should be honored."

Llan didn't struggle even as the hands tightened painfully around his arms. He turned back to look at Geraldine. "Don't do anything," he said. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." A smile forced its way onto his face. As soon as he was dragged outside, his expression fell.

The two soldiers roughly tossed the young farmhand into the waiting wagon. The door slammed shut and was locked from the outside. With no windows at all, he was a prisoner.

"Let's go," a soldier said.

Llan tried to hear more, but the sudden shift of the carriage made him tumble back. What was happening? Where were they taking him? Many questions came to his mind, each one with a worse possible answer than the last. He gulped and tried to steady his beating heart.

All he could do was wait.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 3​

The carriage came to a stop. It hadn't been long, but Llan had no idea where he was. There were voices speaking outside. Then the door was unlocked. The man that greeted him was not either of the soldiers but someone wearing fine clothes. He had a grand beard, perhaps to draw attention away from his balding head.

Llan's eyes widened in shock as he shrank back.

"Now, now, don't worry, Llan Stables," a smooth voice said. A gloved hand reached forward. "My name is Jhori Benkal, one of the king's valued advisors. You might be wondering what's going on. Come with me, and I'll tell you."

"You know my name?"

"Of course. I sent for you personally. Now come into the light." Jhori forcefully pulled the young man out of the carriage. His hands were on the young man's chin to manipulate Llan's face.

"Remarkable," Jhori said. "My boy, you really do look exactly like Prince Nikto."

"So I've been told," Llan muttered through squished cheeks.

"Even up close, I can hardly differentiate you. A few touch ups and you will be the perfect replacement."

"Replacement?" Llan shouted.

"I will explain all," Jhori said. He released the young man. "Bring him." The two soldiers flanked around Llan and herded him along while following the noble.

They were inside the castle walls, at the stables. The yards were kept immaculately trimmed, and the gardens were meticulously arranged. Nearby was the castle, the building seen by all from miles away. The windows were the only thing small about it. All the better to be defensible, but the castle hadn't suffered any attacks in ages.

Watchtowers kept guard all through the evening, and patrols roamed the grounds. Jhori was able to take a direct path to a side door that avoided everyone. The inside of the castle was even more glamorous. Rugs, sculptures, paintings and more were used to liven up the stone interior. It didn't feel cold, but it was chilly, at least until they entered a room where the fireplace was still burning.

"Have a seat, Llan." Jhori motioned to one of the many chairs nearby. The room looked to be only used for sitting, perhaps with a bit of drink and company.

Llan looked suspicious, but he couldn't do anything with the two soldiers standing by the door. He sat down.

"I apologize for the rough way we brought you here, but we are short on time. You, my boy, have been given a great opportunity to move up in life thanks to your not so unique face."

Llan folded his arms and frowned.

A smile remained on Jhori's face, though it was hard to make out through his beard. "An unfortunate incident has fallen over our kingdom. In such a time when the King recently passed, a second tragedy would shake the kingdom too much, and our enemies would take advantage of this weakness."

"What second tragedy?" Llan asked.

"The young prince has unfortunately passed away."

Llan jumped to his feet. "What? How did he die?"

"It's horrible, I know. As for how the young prince died, it's not something you need to worry about," Jhori said. His entire demeanor was calm and impassive. "Please, be quiet. So far, not many people know, and I intend to keep it that way. That is where you come in."

"What do you mean?"

"I need you to step in and become the new prince, and thus, king of Arbus."

Llan's jaw went slack. The feeling traveled to the rest of his body as he sank into the chair. Strength had gone from his legs.

"Now, now, my boy, you don't need to worry about a thing. All you have to do is live in luxury. The king's advisors, that is me, will do all of the governing. You show off at a distance from time to time and put your seal on any documents I tell you to. That's it. I don't expect you to do much of anything at all. Just leave the kingdom to me, your Uncle Jhori."

"What about," Llan choked into a cough, "the queen?"

"Yes, a mother might realize you are not her son, no matter how much you look alike. That's why we sent her away. She is now the governess of some little settlement at the edge of the kingdom. It's all under your orders. You want to be a king that's not seen relying on his mother. Just don't mind her. I'll make certain she doesn't return and discover our ruse."

Llan gulped and nodded. He was sinking back into the huge chair, wishing the cushions would swallow him up. A chill made his body feel clammy.

Jhori walked over and then placed a hand on the young man's shoulder. "You will no longer be allowed to leave the castle. You will never be returning to your former life. But you will be helping this kingdom. That is a price you should gladly be willing to pay. And there are perks to being the king, even if you have no actual authority."

"Yes," Llan mumbled. He turned his gaze away.

"That's what I like to hear. You will be well cared for and want for nothing as long as you do what I say." A wide grin emerged on the nobleman's face. "Now first up, come along, I need you cleaned up and presentable. No prince will look like some common farmhand. I will take you to the baths. Remember, do not mention any of what we have discussed here with anyone."

They walked through the empty halls of the castle with the two soldiers guiding them. One was in the front, the other was in the back. Along the way, Jhori kept a close eye on his new ward. Llan could feel a sharp gaze on the back of his head at all times.

It was a relief to make it to the bathroom.

"Normally," Jhori said, "there would be a servant to draw a bath for you. Today, you'll have to do it yourself. Hurry up now, it's getting late."

Llan entered the room and shut the door. He lowered his head and let out a long sigh. Finally, there was some time where he could think alone. The bathroom was huge with a tub right in the middle. There was a separate changing area that included a lounge chair.

The castle had a plumbing system that he could use, though only cold water came out of the faucets. There were tools in a nearby cabinet to make a fire and a metal basin to heat up the water, but Llan didn't feel like doing any of that. He decided to withstand the coldness.

Once the tub was somewhat filled, the young man took off his clothes. Stepping in, the shot of cold woke up his senses and mind. He took his time getting cleaned while thinking about what was happening.

There was no way young Prince Nikto died a natural death, especially after the king had just died. The coincidence was just too much. Llan didn't have any proof, but the more he thought, the more his face creased. There was a plot going on. He had no idea how deep or wide it went. The only thing he could do was go along with it.

The door to the bathroom opened. Jhori's voice called out, "How are you doing, my boy?"

"I'm fine!" Llan gasped. He stepped out of the bath and then dried off. When he went to put in his clothes, he found they were missing. Jhori had replaced them with a robe.

There was someone else standing there as well, a servant of the castle. She was a chubby woman that had round cheeks and a round nose. A stern look was on her face. "My prince, if you wanted a bath this late, you should have told me. I would have drawn one up."

"Oh, I apologize," Llan said.

Jhori glanced over to the servant. "That's fine, Shelby." He put special emphasis on the woman's name while looking at Llan. He wanted to drill the name into the new prince's head. "Now, Shelby, the prince is tired after our long dinner. Take him back to his room and make sure he rests."

"Yes, Lord Benkal." Shelby bowed.

Jhori placed a hand on the new Nikto's shoulder. "I'll be by early tomorrow for some more discussions. I am really excited about the future of Arbus."

The only thing new Nikto could say was, "Yes."

He followed Shelby through the castle until they reached a bedroom. There were so many halls with doors on either side. New Nikto wasn't interested in any of that, though. He kept silent with this gaze down even as the maid worked to prepare the bed.

"Here you are, Prince Nikto. Have a good night's sleep."

"Of course."

The maid bowed and then left the room leaving new Nikto alone in his dangerous new situation.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 4​

"So that's what happened?" Maclos asked. "King Nikto III was killed in a coup and replaced by Llan?"

"That's what I said," the janitor responded.

The two men were sitting at a charming restaurant having a fine meal. The area was lively enough that their conversation was kept within the boundaries of the table. Their meals were half eaten slowly over the course of the night as they talked.

"I thought something like that happened!" Maclos exclaimed.

The janitor held up his finger. "Wait. Is that all you wanted to know? The story is only partly done. Did the war between Arbus and Habel happen? What of young Llan. Did he just sit around and do nothing?"

Maclos folded his arms. "I mean, I know what happened between Arbus and Habel. There was no war, but around that time, they suddenly became close allies. Though there are people that dispute the alliance was voluntary since all sources of the alliance came from Arbus's side with none from Habel. Still, Jhori Benkal isn't an important figure in history. I don't know much about him besides a few mentions here and there."

The janitor laughed. "Maybe he's a slimy guy that likes to pull the strings from behind. I happen to know how long Arbus danced to his fingers. So do you want to know more? You really do want to stay and listen to the rest."

Maclos thought about it for a moment. The main question had been answered, but if there was more to learn, he would hear it. "Yes, tell me."

"I am in the mood for some dessert," the janitor said. "A nice good slice of pie."

Maclos sighed. "Fine. Pie for you, and more of your story for me."

"Great! So where did I leave off? Young Llan was brought to the Rounding Stones to become the new prince, and thus, the new king of Arbus."

<><><>

The sound of the door opening woke Nikto up. He was still weary, but his mind was sharp. He rubbed his eyes and sat up to see who had entered. "Shelby."

"Oh, you're awake, good," Shelby said. "You have much to do today, Prince Nikto. Lord Benkal will be waiting for you after breakfast."

Nikto pulled the blanket up to his chest. "Yes, of course." He couldn't enjoy the softness of the bed, the plumpness of the pillows and the warmth of the blanket. For most of the night, he was wide awake with mind racing. It was only at the wee hours of the morning did Nikto finally fall asleep from exhaustion.

Shelby had opened the curtains allowing light into the room. She walked over to the armoire. "Should I help you pick out an outfit, Prince Nikto?"

"Yes," Nikto said. He didn't have much of a mind for getting dressed that morning. Shelby picked out an outfit that was both regal and casual.

Once the prince was dressed, he followed the maid over to the dining room. The castle felt lively and welcoming during the day when most of the staff was around. Many people greeted the prince. He nodded and returned their kind words.

"Come on, Prince Nikto," Shelby chirped. She turned around to keep an eye on him while he spoke with the castle servants. "The prince has a busy day, so he can't stay long to talk," she said to the others.

At breakfast, Nikto was once again joined by Jhori Benkal. That time, their conversation was much more business-like. Jhori still sat close by and kept his voice low. There was a lot the young man had to learn about being a royalty, including who was who among the castle.

"I've prepared some notes for you, Prince Nikto," Jhori said. "Oh can you read?"

"Yes, I've learned how."

"That's convenient for me. Good. Memorize all of these and keep them close at hand in case you forget." He slid over a stack of papers. "These contain all of the people that you should know in your life and their relation to you. I'll try to keep most of them away from you, but you will have to meet some people. Just keep your conversations short, and if there's anything too difficult just refer them to me, your humble advisor."

"Yes, of course," Nikto said through clenched teeth.

"We have much to teach you in just a day or so. Your coronation to be king will be in three days." Jhori sighed and shrugged. "Just think about it, my boy. One day ago, you were nothing but a simple farmer. Now, you get to live in the castle in luxury. As long as you do exactly as I say. Now get studying."

The nobleman kept a close eye on the prince. It had been a long time since Nikto was forced to sit there doing nothing but read. He glanced through the different papers of people important to the kingdom. There were advisors, wealthy people, military commanders and more. None of the information was about Nikto's casual acquaintances. Did the prince have none? Or did the advisor not care?

Over the next couple of days, he was constantly spending time with Jhori learning how to properly behave like a member of royalty. Always, there were soldiers working for Jhori nearby making sure no one would interrupt.

The next day came and it was time for the prince to become king. Nikto had another restless night of sleep, but that wouldn't stop the proceedings. Shelby applied a bit of makeup to hide the tired look in his face.

"Couldn't sleep, Prince Nikto? It's a big day for you, after all."

Nikto nodded.

"Are you ready to become the king of Arbus?"

"Not at all. But that doesn't matter, does it? I have to be."

"Yes, yes you do."

The mood around the castle was bright and festive. Important people from all over the kingdom lined the halls with only the most noticeable ones getting into the throne room where the ceremony was going to take place. Out at the yard, the common folk were allowed to sit and wait where Nikto was eventually going to make a speech. The words were of course prepared by Jhori.

On the way down the hall, someone approached him. "Ahh, there he is." It was an enlil woman, one with sharp eyes. She was Niall Luxland, another advisor to the king. "How remarkable indeed." Her gaze pierced into Nikto's face. "So indistinguishable. I mean, a good morning to you, Prince Nikto." She made an exaggerated bow. "The ceremony today will go perfectly."

Nikto eyed Niall. He smiled and nodded. "Thank you, Lady Luxland." She knew. She definitely did. Who else was in on Jhori's plan? Until Nikto had more information, he couldn't decide what to do. He kept his eyes open and ears sharp, trying to pick up any piece of information he could. Just how far did the conspiracy to replace the prince go?

A young man, tall and strong, was waiting by the entrance of the throne room. He was Charo Marguli, one of the palace guards. The man scowled and waved. "Prince Nikto, finally. You sure have been busy these past few days. And what is going on with you?"

"What do you mean?" Nikto asked.

Shelby stepped in and said, "Please, the prince is busy right now."

"I know he is," Charo said. "I'm here for the ceremony, aren't I? Now be quiet. You're just a maid." His fierce eyes made Shelby shrink back. Charo looked at the prince. "What are you thinking sending Queen Elliane away to some small border settlement? She has always been here, and she knows what she's doing. And what have you been doing with Lord Benkal these past two days? I haven't been able to talk to you at all."

Nikto glanced left and right. "Lord Benkal was just talking to me about my new position as King of Arbus. I have a lot of new responsibilities now."

"I get that, but you just feel distant somehow."

"I am going to be the king. Things are going to change," Nikto said.

Before Charo could counter again, an older man came walking over. He was fierce, like a lion with a head full of scruffy brown hair. The wrinkles around his eyes made him constantly look like he was scowling. Then again, that might be why he had those wrinkles in the first place. The man was Ronaldo Marguli, general of Arbus and father of Charo. He was in his fine uniform with medals pinned across his breast.

"The new king needs to get going," the general said, his voice rough and gravelly. He bowed. "Your majesty." He pulled the young knight away from the door.

Nikto let out a sigh of relief as he stepped into the throne room. There, the people were put on either side of the hall with velvet ropes holding them back. Silence fell across the room when caught sight of the king. Those in the back stood up straighter to get a better look.

Jhori Benkal was waiting near the throne along with the kingdom's official archivist. There were two other official observers just to witness the transfer of power. It felt strange to be there without the queen. It was only Nikto standing in front of the throne.

The archivist had the crown in his hands. He raised it high into the air for all in the hall to see. "Prince Nikto, are you ready to assume the responsibility as the head of the Kingdom of Arbus?" Though he was an older man, his voice was loud and booming.

"I am," Nikto said. There wasn't any other answer. All of this was just a formality as Nikto was next in line for the crown.

"Then lower your head."

Nikto knelt down. He felt the crown upon his head. It was heavier than he expected. The crown was made of silver with fine gold filigree on the trim and gems embedded all around. When Nikto stood up, he was no longer prince. He was king.

King Nikto III turned to face the audience. It wasn't cheers that greeted him but reverence. The people bowed their heads to him, each and every one of them. Jhori was peering up from his lowered posture with a pointed look in his eyes.

Oh, of course. "Rise!" King Nikto proclaimed. His voice didn't carry nearly as far as the archivists. A pounding heart and tight chest didn't help him project.

Jhori stepped next to King Nikto. "All hail the king!" That was the signal for applause.

Then came the part Nikto was dreading even more, addressing the crowd outside. He was led through the halls of the castle upwards to the balcony overlooking the yard. Jhori was with him every step of the way. The nobleman handed over a folded up parchment.

"That is your speech to the people. Remember what we rehearsed and do not deviate from it." He clapped the young king on the back and grinned. Jhori made certain to stay nearby, but not too close. He was always within reach if Nikto started to do something unplanned.

The balcony had been decorated for the occasion. A carpet provided a soft place to stand. Flowery vines were wrapped around the railings. Large tapestries with the symbol of the kingdom hung off the edge. At the front, facing the crowd, was a megaphone on a stand.

Nikto felt his body tense with each step forward. Already, the people were expectant. When the new king came into view, the air was frenetic. King Nikto had the speech in hand. He swallowed a few times trying to clear his throat. He glanced down and started to read.

As his first words came, the crowd fell quiet. "Good people of Arbus, I welcome you to my coronation. While my father has a certain way of doing things, I am not my father. There will be changes, but know that this will all be for the good of Arbus. Ever does this kingdom and all of the people sit in my heart. All of what I do will be for you.

"When I look out at all of you, I see proud people that deserve more. I will be the king that brings you more. More wealth, more prosperity, more vigor!"

King Nikto's eyes drifted further down the page. He tried to keep his voice even, but the shakiness still came through. A tapestry in front of him hid his quivering knees.

"I will defend this kingdom from enemies both from without and within." King Nikto glanced back at Jhori Benkal. He was going to get to the bottom of what was going on and find out who was in on the conspiracy to replace the king. They were not going to secretly take over the Kingdom of Arbus.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 5​

King Nikto's life was highly controlled. He wasn't allowed out of the castle. Two of Jhori's men kept an eye on him at all times. It wasn't always the two that brought him to the castle. For supposedly being king, he had no say in anything. All of the important meetings were attended by Jhori Benkal. If the king had to be present, he sat silently and watched the proceedings. The most he did was sign or stamp a few proposals every day. Nikto barely had time to read anything, either. Jhori made sure of it.

Outside of that, King Nikto tried to investigate what had happened to the old Prince Nikto. The previous Nikto had a dinner meeting with Jhori Benkal on the night King Nikto was taken from the farm. Another advisor, Niall Luxland, was also there. The previous Nikto must have died on that day, maybe even that night at the dinner. There were no signs of the body, though. Any evidence would have long been cleaned up.

The easy life was true, though. Nikto had nothing to worry about or do. He was given fine clothes and fine food. Servants waited on his every need. For entertainment, he could go out on hunts or have shows be put on. More and more, Nikto was starting to take advantage of his power. If he was going to be a king, might as well enjoy it.

"Shelby!" Nikto called out. He was reclined on the lounge in the sun room letting the warm rays wash over him.

"Yes, my king?" Shelby said.

"It's too hot here. I would like some fresh squeezed orange juice." He waved off the maid.

It wasn't just Shelby. He ordered around Victor, Nadal, Bai and all of the others. None of them refused him, no matter how ridiculous his demands such as a single cube of ice, and it had to be in a perfect cube, not just some kind of rectangular prism.

One day while walking out in the gardens of the castle, Charo approached. The knight had a stern glare, but he still bowed. Nikto turned to the two guards next to him. "Give us some space."

The guards backed away a few paces. Nikto glared at them. "More!"

They were unable to disobey such a direct order and left the immediate area. Nikto and Charo were left within the hedges and flowers next to a stone bench. The two of them didn't sit. They continued to walk.

"King Nikto," Charo said, "forgive me for saying this, but what are you doing? You've been sitting around all day eating and drinking. I'm your friend, and I'm worried about you!"

"I'm doing fine. I'm just settling into my new role."

"By doing nothing? Your advisors have pretty much been doing all of the work. You haven't been doing any of your exercises either. You're going to become soft and flabby."

Nikto couldn't help but laugh. "Yes. I wouldn't want that, would I? I understand you're concerned, Charo. There is a lot going on that I'm not ready to talk about."

"Really?" Charo spun around to block the king's path. The knight narrowed his eyes into a fierce stare. "Because to me and a lot of other people, you just seem different. Really different. I'm not the only one worried about you. The others are just too cowardly to say so."

Nikto stared back trying to figure out if Charo was in on the conspiracy or not. Anyone in the castle could be a part of it. They could also not be a part of it and were only ordered to do certain tasks.

The king sighed. "You're right. Let's get back to some of what we used to do. I do not have anything important on my schedule for the rest of the day. What say you to some exercise? It's good to clear the mind."

Charo pointed with both hands. "Yes. That is what I am talking about! Let's go get changed!"

The two of them walked off with the two soldiers following a good distance behind. Upon leaving the gardens, Nikto stopped. There was a small battalion of the kingdom's soldiers standing out in front of the castle, just beyond the walls.

"What's going on?" Nikto asked.

"What do you mean?" Charo asked.

"I mean over there. What are the soldiers doing?"

"Are you serious?" Charo crossed his arms and tilted his head. "You're the one that ordered them out to do a training exercise."

That must have been one of the many things the king signed or stamped. "Oh, of course. Do you know where they happen to be going?"

"They're heading out near Habel. They're going to be a bit close to the border, though. But I guess it is away from our settlements so we don't disturb anything."

"Is that the usual training spot?"

"No. Not even close. But you're the king that wants to do things differently. His own way?" There was bite behind Charo's words. "You should know all of this, right?"

Nikto lowered his head. "I know. I need to do better, and I'm trying. Thank you for telling me."

Charo let out a long sigh. "I can't imagine the kind of stress you're under, so I guess you have a bit of a learning curve suddenly taking the crown like this. I'll be here to tell you if you're going too far off track, though." The man thumped his armor with a solid thud.

Nikto stayed by the front of the castle, watching the soldiers until they started to leave. It looked much like they were marching off to war.

"Hey." Nikto leaned close to his friend, his voice dropping low. "Being the new king, I am in need of some old allies, people that care about and love this kingdom. Can I trust you?"

A look of confusion was on Charo's face. "Of course you can. I will always have your back."

"Okay. There might be something I require your aid on in the near future."

"You got it. Anything for you, King Nikto."

"You can just call me Nikto."

"Sure. But why are we whispering?"

Nikto was well aware of the two soldiers that were assigned to be his protector. "No reason. I'm just glad you're my friend, Charo."

"Yeah, of course. So are we working out or what?"

Nikto laughed. "Yes, yes. I do need to get back in shape."

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 6​

Nothing much happened in the next few days. Nikto went about his schedule, having fun and spending some time with Charo. For the time being, he was fine staying inside the castle or in the nearby areas. He did as he was told, doing a few appearances around the city. It was nothing complex, especially when everything was so meticulously planned out by Jhori.

After a long day of greeting people, attending parties and showing off, Nikto was tired. He was glad to go back home. He wanted to do more. He needed to make sure Jhori wasn't sending the kingdom down a dangerous path. There were a lot of things going on behind the scenes that he had no information about.

Nikto was still in a dour mood when he returned to the castle. He wandered over to the sitting room. It was nice and warm from a gentle fire. He found the lounging chair closest to the warmth. "Shelby!" he called out.

The maid appeared at the main entrance. "What do you need, my king?"

"I would like some fruit. Get me an apple. Not the one from our stocks. I want a fresh-picked empire apple from our orchard."

"It's late in the evening, my king."

"So? It's not like our castle is dangerous or anything. You can take a light out with you. Do hurry up." Nikto waved her away.

It was over twenty minutes before she finally returned. There was new dirt and smudges on her uniform. In her hands was a basket full of apples. "Which one would you like?"

Nikto tapped his chin. "You know, I changed my mind. I want pears from the pear trees instead. Go pick some of them for me. You can keep the apples. Give them to the other servants."

"No!" Shelby hissed as she threw the basket to the ground. Apples rolled all through the room. "Listen here, you little brat, don't think you're so high and mighty. I know who you really are. You're nothing more than a simple farmhand that just happens to look kind of like the late prince. You're of an even lower rank on the social ladder than I am. If you want some pears, go pick them yourself, farmboy." The maid stomped out of the room.

A smirk spread through Nikto's face. That was one servant that was for sure in on the plan. He could work with that. Nikto picked up an apple. After brushing off the dust, he took a bite.

<><><>

Nikto and Charo had just finished one of their exercises. That morning's events included muscle training through lifting and putting down iron bars. Nikto had no idea why people wanted to do more work, but Charo insisted that was the way of the future: Targeted muscle activity through certain movements while holding onto weights.

The activity did work up a nice sweat. As Nikto had some business to attend to in the afternoon that needed him to look presentable, he decided to take a bath. "Charo, why don't you join me? You are covered in dirt and grime. When was the last time you took a bath?"

"I don't know. Last week?"

"That explains the odor. You, my friend, really need a bath."

"I don't see what's the point. You're just going to get dirty again anyway," Charo said.

"For the king's nose, you must do this."

"Fine, fine."

The two headed to the royal washroom where Charo marveled at the ornateness of it all. The bathtub could almost be considered a small pool. With a separate changing area, it was like being in a private spa.

The servant Victor was the one that started the bath. A fire next to the metal tub warmed the water inside as it filled.

Nikto said, "Wait outside until I need you again."

Victor bowed and then left the room.

With the noise of the water running filling the room, Nikto waved Charo over. "Alright. Remember what we spoke about before? I need your aid. Before that, I have something important to tell you. You need to fully understand what is going on."

Nikto took a deep breath while trying to gather his thoughts. He told Charo everything, from the swap between the farmhand and the prince to his suspicions about Jhori Benkal.

Charo listened silently with a stoic face. He was sitting on a nearby chair with arms folded and nothing more than a towel around his waist. At the end he lifted his head up, staring at the colorful ceiling. "By the vis. I didn't realize Lord Benkal was such a bastard. No, just Benkal. He is no lord of mine." He grimaced and lowered his gaze to the king. "No wonder things have been so strange. I felt you were sometimes different."

A long sigh of relief escaped Nikto's body that carried away any uncertain tensions in the air. He smiled and nodded. "I don't want to do what Benkal says, but for now I need to play along with him until I know more. I have a way we can get that information, though. Will you help me?"

"Of course. I will not let Benkal usurp this kingdom. So tell me your plan?"

Nikto leaned in and said, "I know a certain maid that happens to be in on the secret. We should interrogate her first. She was likely there the night the switch happened. If you have someone you trust, bring them along as well. I need someone to keep an eye on Benkal's men."

Charo pounded his fists together. "You got it. Let's do this."

"After the bath. You still smell horrible."

The water in the tub was almost full from their long conversation. Nitko quickly turned off the water and then let some of it drain away so it wouldn't overflow at the slightest movement.

After the bath, it was time to start gathering information. Nikto canceled his planned appearances for the rest of the day. Charo had found a few people that they could trust. They were either his friends from outside of the castle or young knights in training. They were all eager to help out the king of Arbus.

"Your task is simple," Nikto said. "All I need is for you to keep an eye out for any soldiers that might interrupt me. If you see any, simply give us a signal." He wasn't too worried, though. By acting aloof and predictable the past many days, the soldiers tasked with keeping an eye on him became lax. They were no longer worried about anything happening and gave the king more space. Still, it was nice to have a backup.

"Alright," Charo barked. "Go spread out and look natural."

Nikto and Charo went into the ballroom of the castle. It was a large space with thicker walls to keep the dancing and music from disturbing too much of the halls. When the area was unused, almost no one went there. Covered furniture was left all around the area and the walls were bare.

"Oh Shelby," Nikto called out.

The maid prowled into the ballroom. When she saw someone else was there, a smile flashed onto her face. "What can I do for you, King Nikto?"

"I would like to throw a party in here. I want you to take some notes about decorations and food options." Nikto strode through the grand room taking in the high ceilings and open space. "Come on. Follow me. I have some things to point out."

The three of them moved to the far end of the room. That was when Charo drew out his sword. "You will talk, traitor, and depending on how you answer, I might spare your life."

"What?" Shelby yelped. "What are you doing?"

"I know what Benkal is planning. King Nikto here told me everything. Now you will fill in some blanks for us." The usual jovial expression was missing from Charo's face. His glare was filled with fury. The wrong answer would set him off.

Nikto grabbed Shelby's arms, keeping her controlled. "I would think twice about lying to the man. He is not happy about what Benkal is doing."

"I don't know anything!" Shelby protested.

"Don't lie to us!" Charo snarled. His blade inched closer to the woman. "I saw Prince Nikto on the morning of the dinner with the king's advisors. Then, later that very same night, this man here was brought in to take the place of the prince who had died? The only place it could have happened was the dinner, where there could be privacy. You were the one that brought Prince Nikto to the dinner and you know that this is a different person. Did Benkal kill Prince Nikto?"

"Yes," Shelby blurted out with tears in her eyes. "He did! He had the prince poisoned."

"Did you do it?"

"I, I," the maid stammered.

King Nikto shook his head and Charo backed down a bit. Nikto asked, "What is Benkal planning?"

"I don't know! I swear I don't! I'm not important enough to tell that kind of information to."

Nikto asked, "Who else is in the conspiracy? What other servants were there at the dinner that night?" He tightened his grip on the maid's arm.

"Bran was the head of staff for that dinner. He works for Jhori Benkal so he should know everyone that was there." When that answer wasn't good enough for Nikto, Shelby listed off any name she could remember of other servants and guards that she knew.

A knock of three taps, a pause and another two taps came at the door to the ballroom. One of the soldiers-in-training slipped in. He looked around with wide eyes. "King Nikto? The soldiers are coming to check in on you." He performed a salute for no discernible reason.

Shelby growled, "You two are going to be in big trouble now when Lord Benkal hears of what you've done. If you get in his way, don't think he won't hesitate to kill both of you!"

Charo looked to the trainee. "Flannagarn, take Shelby here to the Claw Room and make sure no one finds her."

"Right away, Lieutenant Charo!" the trainee said.

"And keep her from calling out!"

Nikto looked over to his friend. "The Claw Room?"

"Don't worry about it. It's a knight thing. No one will find her there, especially since a few of our battalions are away training."

Shelby was dragged around like a rag doll out the back way to the ballroom. A heavy hand covered her mouth to keep any noises down to a panicked squeak. The trainee just vacated the room when the doors opened again. Two of Benkal's soldiers came through. Accompanying them was a young man.

From his uniform, he was one of the kingdom's messengers. The man's face was crestfallen and flushed red. His chest rose and fell with each deep breath. The bag around his shoulder was barely hanging on.

"My king!" the messenger gasped.

Nikto stepped forwards, his demeanor calm and steady. "Take a few deep breaths. I will wait for your message."

The messenger nodded as he doubled over to rest. When his breathing steadied, he stood up again. "We were attacked! The forces of Habel have attacked our training camp!"

"What?" Charo exclaimed. "Are there any dead?"

"Yes," the messenger nodded.

Nikto stiffened his body and clenched his teeth. Before he could say anything, one of Benkal's soldiers said, "We should alert Lord Benkal, my king. He is your advisor, and he would know what to do."

Nikto wanted to protest, to shout out and condemn Jhori, but he took a deep breath. "Of course. I'm sure Lord Benkal will have the solution. Messenger, go relay what you told me to my advisor."

The two soldiers left along with the messenger.

Once they were gone, Nikto said, "This isn't a coincidence. Jhori put our training exercise next to Habel just for this reason."

"What is he trying to do?" Charo asked.

"Whatever it is, we must keep it from happening."

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 7​

There was an uproar in the castle. News of the attack by Habel had spread. It was full of half-true rumors. The words even reached the streets of the city. An emergency announcement was called where King Nikto was to address the issue.

The King was in the conference room with Jhori Benkal and other advisors. Everyone was sitting around a long table with Nikto at the front. Still, he wasn't an active participant in any of what was going on. The group was deciding what with voices coming from all directions.

Jhori leaned over to Nikto. "Get everyone to quiet down. Just stand up and proclaim silence."

Nikto did so. The king stood and raised his hand. "Silence! If everyone is talking, we can't hear anyone!"

Jhori nodded. "Yes, thank you, King Nikto." The nobleman stood up and swept his gaze through the room. "Here is what we know. Our training camp has been, without provocation, attacked by the army of Habel. We have suffered at least four casualties with many more injured." His fist slammed onto the table. "We cannot let this stand!"

"What are you saying, Lord Benkal?" another advisor said. "We need to understand what's going on first."

King Nikto nodded. "Yes, that's right. We cannot rush into things."

Jhori glanced over with dangerous eyes. "I'm saying we need to show that we won't stand for this. All I'm proposing is that we move more of our troops to the region and continue the training camp."

"That would be seen as a show of force," another advisor said. "Habel has always been a good trading partner to us. I can't understand why they would do that."

Jhori said, "Of course I would like to talk things out, and we will. But we must first show strength, the strength of Arbus and its soldiers. The King will send a message to Habel to see what has happened and why."

Nikto looked around the room to the expecting faces and nodded. "I will keep this conflict from escalating any more."

"If at all possible," Jhori said. "Remember, you can't promise more than you have. We also need to address the people and settle down any concerns they might have. Are you ready, King Nikto?"

"Yes."

Jhori led the king out of the conference room with a first squeeze on the shoulder. "My boy, you don't need to try so hard. I know people will look to you for answers, but you can rely on me to do all of the talking and thinking. I have already prepared a statement for you to read." He pulled out a folded piece of paper between his index and middle fingers. "You should just continue to relax, like you have been doing. This is just a minor bump that I'll handle."

Like a good puppet king, Nikto did as he was told. He stood on the castle's balcony in front of the waiting audience and delivered the speech. "People of Arbus. Good afternoon. Some of you may have heard that our soldiers near the border of Habel were attacked. I want to clear up what happened and assure you that we are doing everything we can to keep the situation calm and secure. There is no danger to us. Our soldiers are more than a match for Habel.

"There is no need to worry, but if you have any concerns, my advisors and I will be here to help. Long live Arbus!" Nikto raised his hand with a triumphant cheer that was resonated by the crowd.

"Wonderfully done," Jhori said with a smirk. "You are a natural at this. Now let's get the order to move our troops ready."

The advisor meant what he said. While they were walking through the halls of the castle, he was already working on drafting the message to the rest of the forces of Arbus by dictating to a nearby scribe. By the time they made their way to the king's office, the order was done. All that was waiting for was the official seal of Arbus.

While the orders seemed innocent enough, Nikto was still worried. There were enough forces sent that Hable could mistake it as preparations for an attack. Still, he put a stamp on the message.

Jhori handed off the message to one of his staff. "See that this is sent to our soldiers immediately." He nodded to King Nikto and said, "Stay out of trouble now," with a grin. The nobleman left with a huddled stalking motion.

Nikto hurried away as fast as he could without running. The man he was looking for was standing out in the front yard directing the people out in a safe and orderly fashion.

"Charo," Nikto said.

When people realized the king was near, they tried to ask more questions, but soldiers kept them away. It conveniently also distracted the two that were set to watch over him. King Nikto pulled Charo to the side. They found a secluded area next to a great tree, but they still had to speak in a low voice.

The recent actions of Jhori Benkal were falling into place. This conflict was planned. Everything was too much of a coincidence. Grim thoughts swirled around Nikto's mind. "We can't let this happen," Nikto said. "War is all but certain if our forces all march towards Habel's border."

"So that's what Benkal is trying to do," Charo said.

"I need you to go and stop this." Nikto pulled off a signet ring from his finger. "Here. You will speak with my authority. Get the current forces leaving now to stay far away from the border. They still need to leave, though. We must not let Benkal get suspicious."

"You want me to go?" Charo said. "What about you? If I leave you alone, you'll be in danger."

"I shall be alright. This is much more important." Nikto leaned in with a serious glint in his eyes. "Get the soldiers away from the castle, but do not let them go to the border. I'll need you back, of course. Bring anyone you trust with you. This cannot be allowed to continue."

Charo saluted. "I will do that. I would still feel better if someone was here keeping an eye on you."

Nikto looked around and saw one of the trainees helping with crowd control. The young man wasn't doing a great job of it and was stumbling around everywhere. Nikto pointed. "What about Flannagarn?"

"Flannagarn?" Charo looked baffled. "Flannagarn?"

"Yes. You do trust him, correct?"

"I trust his heart, sure, but I don't trust his skills. You want Flannagarn?"

Nikto put a hand on his friend's shoulder. "It will be fine. Now get ready to leave."

"If you insist. I will be back as soon as I can." Charo marched off.

<><><>

"Wait," Maclos said. "When you say Flannagarn, are you talking about Richard Flannagarn, the strongest knight in the history of Albus?"

"Yeah." The janitor pointed with a drink in his hand. "That's the guy. Speaking of which, have you visited his statue? It's a great tourist spot, too. Best of all, I'm not responsible for maintaining it."

"I've seen it before. Anyway, what happened next?" Maclos leaned in with his fingers intertwined.

<><><>

After waiting for the regiment to set off, Charo followed. A cloak covered his arms and armor. The ring of the king was tucked away in a pouch tied to his belt. He moved fast through the roads of Albus until he left the city. While he was more relaxed far away from the conniving watch of Jhori Benkal, there was no time to rest.

Charo made long, purposeful strides, slowing only when the terrain became too rough. He wanted to return as fast as possible to the castle. It wasn't safe with just Nikto there alone.

Up ahead was the rest of the forces of Arbus. There were hundreds of men moving in perfect formation. Charo sprinted past to reach the front of the column. The one in front was Ronaldo Marguli, his father. During official hours, though, Chara called out, "General Marguli, I require a word."

The man marching in front moved off to the side. "What is it, Lieutenant Marguli? What are you doing out here?" His voice was firm and deep.

"I bring new orders from King Nikto," Charo responded while adding in a salute.

General Marguli turned to the troops and called out, "Company halt!" The order was relayed through the column by several officers. Everyone came to a stop. The general held out his hand, clearly expecting an official parchment.

"There wasn't enough time to write it out, but I have this." Charo pulled out the signet ring, Or he tried to. Somehow, in all of his rush, the pouch had fallen from the belt. He checked and double checked every possible location on his body, but it was gone.

General Marguli's expression grew more and more impatient.

Charo cleared his throat and stood at attention. "You are not to go to the border of Habel. You are to wait outside of the area, making it look like you have gone."

"What?"

Charo motioned to the side of the road. "I have some sensitive information to share. Please come with me."

"This had better be important. You do know we are on our way to reinforce the training camp, correct? What if they are attacked again?"

"King Nikto wants to prevent any escalation." Charo moved away until they were far enough from the rest of the soldiers for a private conversation. He still dropped his voice low. "General Marguli, the king and I feel there is a plot to intentionally start a war with Habel. The perpetrator is Jhori Benkal."

"You mean Lord Jhori Benkal," General Marguli said. "What proof do you have of this?"

"We don't have anything concrete yet, but we do have one of his conspirators in custody. I know something is going on."

"I won't just stop the deployment of our forces on a hunch. Even if someone is angling for a war, the same thing is happening on Habel's side for them to attack us. If we don't reinforce our borders, it could be disastrous."

Charo growled and fidgeted. He wanted to pace around, but he remained standing at attention. "The King is working on fixing the problem, but we need to keep it from getting worse. Know that Jhori Benkal is working against King Nikto. There's too much to say here, but trust in your king, the man you swore fealty to. Do not march all of these troops to the border and make things worse, General Marguli."

The general folded his arms with an inscrutable expression.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 8​

It was late one afternoon, and King Nikto was restless. The time for slow investigation was over. He had to stop Jhori before the situation got any worse. Only parts of a plan were in his mind. The biggest question was just how many people would side with Jhori over the king of Arbus.

King Nikto needed some fresh air, some time to think without the constant worry of being spied on. He was currently in his office working on paperwork alone. There were requests and ideas coming from all through the kingdom. He was too distracted to read the words. The lines blurred together into a messy blob.

He stood up and headed for the door. There were two guards standing right outside. They both worked for Jhori Benkal, and their task was to make certain the king remained on task. Nikto glowered at their accusatory stare. "I'm taking a rest in my room."

He strode through the halls with the two soldiers hot on his heels. Nikto smiled when he saw a friendly face and waved. "Flannagarn, might I have a word?"

With most of their troops sent out, even the soldiers-in-training needed to patrol the castle halls. Flannagarn looked alarmed at being addressed directly. His eyes widened until his brows were hidden behind messy red hair. "What can I do for you, King Nikto?"

Nikto glared at the two soldiers following him. It was his signal for, "Back off while I speak with my friends."

Nikto made random small talk as they traversed the halls. Flannagarn chuckled nervously and nodded along, uncertain of what to say. When they got closer to the king's bedroom, Nikto dropped his voice to a whisper. "I need you to keep the guards distracted. Please go into my room and pretend there is someone in there if anyone happens to drop by."

"Won't they notice?" Flannagarn asked while his eyes shifted back and forth.

"Not if you go fast. Hurry to my room and stay there. Do not speak in long sentences if anyone asks anything. Just get them to leave."

"I couldn't possibly be in your room alone, your majesty!"

"Stop complaining and do it!" Nikto hissed as he pushed the trainee towards the door. "I will be back sometime later this evening." In a normal volume, Nikto said, "Thank you for your time. I'm going to my room now," as he rounded a nearby corner.

Flannagarn slid into the king's bedroom as fast as he could. The two soldiers followed but they were too far to get a clear view before the door closed. Nikto smirked and headed off.

He had been in the castle long enough to know some methods of getting out without being bothered. First, it was down to the kitchens. Along the way, he borrowed someone's traveling cloak. With his body covered and a hood over his head, he looked suspicious prowling around the halls of the castle.

There was a back door to the kitchen. While it was usually locked, a previous master of the kitchen had a huge dog. To go with that, there was a huge dog door built into the human door. A simple slide of the latch was all it took for Nikto to sneak out of the castle.

There was also a way past the outer walls. It was filled with muck and a definite flaw that needed to be repaired, but the bars of an old water channel were loose. There was enough give where Nikto could crawl out through the small, damp tunnel.

Once he could stand up straight again, Nikto took a deep breath of the open air. There were no soldiers on him, no expectations for him to do anything, no need to be on alert all of the time. When he exhaled, tension left his body.

While keeping his face covered, Nikto paid for a carriage to take him out of the city to the farms. He was back in a familiar place. The open fields, the shoddy fences, the rough roads covered in weeds all brought back fond memories. In front of him was a cozy little cabin. A warm glow came from the windows.

Nikto knocked on the door and then was greeted by an middle-aged woman. "Good evening," he said with a smile.

Geraldine gasped. She reached forwards, pulling off the hood. Her hands caressed Nikto's face. She shuddered back. "It's you! What is going on? I tried to go to the castle, but I've been denied every time. Please, tell me!" The woman's voice was ragged. She paused to settle her trembling body. "I mean, come inside. It's getting cold out there. Do you want something to eat or drink?"

Nikto held out his hand. "I'm well, thank you. I am here to tell you what's going on. You deserve to know." He lowered his head. "A lot has transpired in just these past few weeks. You might want to sit down for the news."

Nikto took a deep breath and explained everything that was going on within the castle. Geraldine's face fell slack along with her body. She was slumped back in a chair with tears streaming down her face.

Nikto knelt down in front of her, taking her hands. "Do not worry. The person responsible for this will pay. I'll make certain of it."

"Wait!" Geraldine gripped the king's hand tight. "You're going against a dangerous person like that? You can't! What if you get hurt?"

"There's no need to worry about me. I will manage Jhori Benkal. I'm sorry I have been delayed in explaining what was going on."

Geraldine shook her head. She was still looking miserable, but she said, "None of this is your fault. I just want you to be safe and happy."

"Neither of those things will happen as long as Jhori is around. I shall put a stop to his machinations." Nikto gave a firm nod. "I won't fail, so don't fret too much over my safety. Once all is well, I'll invite you over for a tour of the castle." He stood up again.

"Are you leaving already?"

"I shouldn't stay long. People will wonder where I've gone." Nikto wrapped his arms around Geraldine. He could feel her body trembling and heart pounding. He wanted to take away all of her worries, but that wasn't possible just yet. He had to leave and make the kingdom safe.

Nikto pulled away. "I give you my word I shall see you soon."

Geraldine said, "You had better. I'll be waiting, my king."

It was late in the evening by the time Nikto made it back to the castle. The moons had risen. Their many lights drew out shadows along the ground. The city was still active with people enjoying their time after a long day of work.

The king slipped back into the castle the same way he came out. As soon as he stood up, he was accosted by several of Jhori Benkal's soldiers. The two in front were the same ones that had been there when he had been abducted. They sneered and grabbed Nikto by the arms.

"Lord Benkal has been really worried about where you were, King Nikto," one of the soldiers said. "He wants to meet with you and see if there's anything going on."

Nikto grimaced, but he didn't resist. He wanted to meet with Jhori anyway.

The soldiers dragged him over to Benkal's office within the castle. Waiting there was the nobleman. He was standing in the corner of the room, letting the shadows fall over his face. Even through his thick beard, it was possible to tell he was frowning.

Also in the room was Flannargarn. The trainee yelped and stood up. "King Nikto! I'm sorry, I was unable to stop them from discovering you had left the castle."

"It's fine," Nikto said. "You may leave."

"Are you certain, my king? By Lieutenant Marguli's orders, I am supposed to watch over you."

"I am giving you new orders. Please." Nikto motioned to the door.

Flannagarn bowed. He walked to the door while uncertainly looking back. As soon as he was through, one of the soldiers slammed it shut.

Jhori stepped out from the corner. His hands were clasped around his back. "What do you think you're doing, Llan? You are making all sorts of trouble these days."

"I was simply visiting my mother," Nikto said. "There's nothing wrong with that."

"There is!" Jhori hissed. He lunged forwards until his face was mere inches away. "Remember what you are doing. You are pretending to be the king of Arbus. That is a position that comes with expectations and realities. All you have to do is exactly what I say, but you seem incapable of following directions. Do not cause trouble. Remember, you are here to keep the kingdom stable, but if you start causing too many disruptions, I'll have to rethink our arrangement."

A banging came at the office door. "Lord Benkal," a gruff voice called out. "We need to speak."

Jhori raised an eyebrow and motioned for the soldier to open the door. Standing on the other side was Charo, General Marguli and Flannagarn. The young trainee was breathing hard with a flushed face.

"General?" Jhori said. "What are you doing back here? You were under orders to make for the border."

"My king requested my presence," General Marguli said. "What is going on here?"

"We were merely talking about kingdom business. It is nothing you need to concern yourself with."

Nikto raised a finger. "Actually, I want to have a full meeting with all of my advisors." Even as he spoke, his plan was still being formed. "Lieutenant Marguli, Flannagarn, please gather everyone in the main conference room. Impress upon them that this meeting is required."

Charo saluted. "At once, my king!" He marched off with Flannagarn scrambling behind.

Jhori asked, "What do you think you're doing, King Nikto?"

"I have some decisions to make, and I would like advice from my advisors." Nikto smiled. "General, please accompany me to the conference room while the others gather."

"Of course, your majesty."

Jhori's body was tense, but the nobleman was unwilling to do anything while the general was there. He watched with teeth clenched as King Nikto left the room.

In under half an hour, the advisors were starting to enter the conference room. Though it was late in the evening, they were all dressed up in their fine clothes and were as alert as right after breakfast. The two people Nikto really wanted had arrived: Jhori Benkal and Niall Luxland. The soldiers standing guard outside of the room were all under the direct command of General Marguli. Charo and Flannagarn were allowed to stay by the king's special order.

Once everyone had sat down, King Nikto said, "Welcome. I know this meeting is short on notice, but I thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to be here. I have something most important to discuss.

"This conflict with Habel is being manufactured. It is in both kingdoms best interest that we do not engage. The person that has been controlling things is that man, Lord Benkal, and that woman, Lady Luxland."

There was a round of surprise by the other advisors, but that was drowned out by Jhori's harsh growl. "What proof do you have of that?"

"For one, it's no secret that it was your idea to put a training exercise over by the border near Habel, where we have traditionally not done it there. They just so happened to be attacked without any word of warning after that? Someone is provoking a response from both kingdoms."

"You were the one that signed the order, or don't you remember?"

Nikto nodded. "Yes, I was. I was forced to, though. There has been a power struggle within the castle recently between Lord Benkal and myself. He has given me a lot of bad advice and insists on making all of the important decisions leaving me to show off at social events.

"He did this all under the threat of killing me if I didn't agree," Nikto proclaimed. "He has already tried and failed once before. I have been biding my time until I was certain just how far he is willing to go, but this conflict with Habel cannot be allowed to continue."

"Your words are preposterous!" Jhori shouted.

"I know some of your conspirators," Nikto said. He stood up. Though he wasn't as tall as Jhori, the King straightened his back and broadened his shoulder to present an air of authority. "It will be a simple thing to question them and get the truth out. I doubt any of them are loyal to you, only to your money."

"Question my conspirators?" Jhori asked. A strange, smug look crawled over his face. The furious storm racing around his expression had quieted. He seemed to arrive at an answer to his current situation. "Don't you mean your conspirators? My friends, there is something going on here, but it is not with me. I have been working against King Nikto, yes, but that is because that man is not actually King Nikto!"

The other people in the room weren't sure how to react to all that was happening. Even Niall looked perturbed.

Jhori started walking around the room. "I have discovered that the man here is not King Nikto III. He is no one more than a simple farmhand that happened to have the good luck of looking like Nikto. His true identity is Llan Stables. He killed Nikto III and took his place, pretending to be our king!

"If you doubt me, why don't we take this imposter's idea and ask someone that knows? Bring in the maid!" Jhori ordered.

The doors to the conference room opened. Two of Jhori's soldiers brought in a plump maid, but the woman was looking ragged and terrified. It was Shelby. Somehow, he had discovered where she was being held.

Charo shot over a concerned look to the king. Nikto was leaning forward with his gaze down and expression hidden.

"My dear girl, tell me what happened," Jhori said to the maid.

Shelby was wide-eyed at all of the important people within the room. She looked back and forth. "Well, um, you see, my lords, I discovered that that man wasn't, er, isn't who he says he is."

"Go on," Jhori said. "Remember what you told me."

Shelby gulped and nodded. "Yes. Llan Stables is a man that happens to look exactly like Nikto III. He hatched a plot to poison and replace the then prince to become king." Her tone was quivering and meek. She looked at Jhori with uncertainty.

"Exactly right," Jhori said. "I have been trying to prove this, and I finally have. I even know where our dear prince's body has been buried. So don't think for a moment that you have control over anything, imposter."

Nikto let out a chuckle. He smoothed his hair back and looked out. Both Charo and Flannagarn had concerned looks on their faces, but there was none of that on the king. Nikto relaxed back in his seat as if nothing was wrong.

"So you're saying I'm the one that killed Nikto III?"

"Exactly," Jhori said. "And I have the proof."

Nikto waved his hand. He looked out at the room of advisors, many of whom looked confused about which side to take. The air around him felt light and breezy. There were still worries that weighed heavily on his body, but they weren't as much of a burden as before.

"If that's the case, I can easily dispel that notion right now. I am Nikto Arbus III, simple as that. Did you think that I wouldn't know about someone with a face that looked like mine? I met Llan Stables years ago, and we have been changing places for a while now when I tire of the structure of castle life.

"That night, when you attempted to kill me, Uncle Jhori, we just happened to have been switched. The man you killed was my dear friend, Llan."

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Chapter 9​

A while ago...

Nikto Arbus III and Llan Stables were having breakfast at a simple cozy cottage out in the country. Geraldine, Llan's mother, had made a porridge of oats sweetened up by some fresh fruit. The meal was different from what Nikto usually had for breakfast, but it was warming and comforting. The care Geraldine put into her food made even the most simple of things enjoyable.

The two young men sat facing each other. It was almost like looking into a mirror, except Llan was dirtier overall with scruffy hair. It was something a quick makeover could fix. As similar as they looked, Geraldine always knew which one was which.

"Come on, let's change places again. Everything going on in the castle is just too much for me right now," Nikto said.

"Is that really a good idea?" Llan asked. "King Nikto, um, your father, did just die."

"And that is part of what's making the castle feel so gloomy and oppressive. Everyone is worried about me. I can't stand being in there right now." Nikto lowered his head in a sigh. "Sometimes, life is so much easier out here."

Geraldine said, "Yes, it's very easy doing backbreaking work all day every day and then not even knowing if we'll have enough for dinner. And even after work, there are a lot of chores around the home that need to be done as well."

"See, you understand, Geraldine," Nikto said. He took a large spoonful of porridge. "I would just like a few days to get away from it all."

Llan frowned and folded his arms. "Aren't they going to crown you king soon?"

"I'm not going to be gone that long, not unless you want to be king?"

"Nope."

"That's good. Because I do still want to be king." Nikto sighed. "After I am king, I probably won't be able to get away with trading places with you. There will be far too many responsibilities that you won't be prepared for. So what do you say, Llan, one last time?"

Llan thought about it for a moment before he nodded. "Alright, fine. I do like the pastries made by the castle's baker."

"Are you saying you don't like my food?" Geraldine snapped.

"What, no! Your food is great, mother. Still, you haven't tried Chef Silvio's food." Llan had a dreamy grin. "Alright, Nikto, we can change places one last time. After that, though, no more. You need to take your ruling responsibilities seriously."

"I know, I know," Nikto said. "Thank you. You'll both be invited to the coronation as my guests, though you'll have to wear a mask, Llan."

Llan rubbed his chin. "So I'll be a mysterious guest? That sounds fun."

The three of them laughed while finishing up their simple breakfast.

<><><>

"What?" Jhori Benkal exclaimed. His eyes were wide, and his body was leaned forwards. As his grip on the table tightened, his grip on his emotions weakened. "You're the true Nikto III? Preposterous!"

"It's true!" Charo said. "I can attest to that."

"Your words mean nothing," Jhori hissed.

"Allow me," King Nikto said. He raised his hand and pointed to the nobleman. "Remember my tenth birthday, Uncle Jhori? I got lost out in the woods because I was having fun on my hunting trip. You, Uncle Sal and father went out to find me. You didn't until it was almost dark. I was crying underneath a tree. I admit that wasn't my finest hour." Nikto began talking about other things he knew about the advisors. They were things that were not part of any information packet, things that he knew from being there.

"And you, Shelby," Nikto said.

The maid winced and shrank back.

"I remember your mother being ill four years ago. My father allowed you time off to see to her. I even gave you a gift of flowers for her. It was a bouquet of tulips. We used to grow them in the castle gardens, but no longer."

"You are Nikto III!" Shelby blubbered. "It's Lord Benkal and Lady Luxland. They plotted it all. Lord Benkal wanted to secretly control the kingdom, so he planned to have Nikto replaced by someone he could easily control!"

Jhori stepped forwards but before he got anywhere, General Marguli had him controlled by twisting his arm to the back.

"This kingdom has been failing under the rule of the Arbus family!" Jhori roared. "I am doing this to rid us of our leaders too weak to take what we need!"

The soldiers that had brought in the maid saw their lord was in trouble. Their hands moved towards their weapons, but Charo was faster with his blade. "Think carefully about where your loyalties lie. Drop your weapons if you do not want to earn the ire of this kingdom."

The soldiers grimaced. They placed their weapons on the ground and then backed away.

Niall Luxland was trying to sneak out when all attention was away from her. It was one Flannagarn that shouted, "Halt, villain!" He lunged forwards performing a tackle that was more aggressive than necessary.

" 'Halt villain' ?" Charo said. "Really?"

Flannagarn stood up embarrassed by his outburst. But he had Niall in custody.

Nikto stood up. His eyes peered into the nobleman. "For the crimes against the kingdom, Jhori Benkal, you shall be put to death."

"Death? Over my killing of some lowborn farm boy? That's ridiculous. No one here will accept it," Jhori growled. He tried to break free, but General Marguli had a tight grip.

"It isn't just the farm boy," Nikto said. A grim expression fell over his face. The creasing shadows gave him a malevolent air. "You have been plotting against my family for a long time now, haven't you? You were also poisoning King Nikto Arbus II. It was slower and more subtle, but you needed him out of the way to enact your plan."

"You're making wild, baseless accusations."

"Am I?" Nikto turned towards someone else. "Lady Luxland, you were a partner of Lord Benkal in this endeavor. He must have spoke about some of his previous dealings with my family. Or perhaps you are fully on his side? Tell me, have you heard Lord Benkal say anything about removing my father from power?"

Niall's eyes widened as she realized what she was being asked. She nodded. "Yes. If I had known Jhori Benkal was so vile and conniving when I first met him, I never would have agreed to work with him. Jhori Benkal has poisoned King Nikto II. It was the same one he used on that poor, poor farm boy."

Nikto nodded. "General, take this traitor to the cells."

Jhori twisted his body wildly. "You're all the traitors! You want to condemn our kingdom to weak leadership. I'm the only one that knows what must be done to keep us strong. This kingdom will fall!"

"Silence!" General Marguli ordered. He enforced it with a sharp blow to the nobleman's side. "I will take my leave. Good evening, my lords." He dragged Jhori out of the door past the soldiers.

Nikto said, "That's enough for tonight's meeting." He wasn't sure he discovered all of the people conspiring with Jhori Benkal, but that would be a problem for the coming days. He had enough information to start a full investigation. He let out a long sigh. "You may all leave. Charo, make sure Lady Luxland is confined to her home, though I will take into consideration her help in this matter."

Charo performed a salute. "Yes. King Nikto."

As she was being taken out, Niall said, "You are a most wise and kind king."

"Yeah, yeah," Charo said. "Let's go."

Everyone else was led from the room by other soldiers of General Marguli. Only Nikto remained. He collapsed back into his seat with all of the strength evaporating from his body. Sweat covered his palms. He leaned back, staring at the ceilings. What a way to start being the king.

Redfin

Staff member
Supporter
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
Latens
10,572✦
Exa
⏆14,496
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

Epilogue​

"Ahh," the janitor let out a satisfied sigh. "Oof. I think I ate too much." He leaned back. In front of him were several plates with naught but crumbs remaining.

"So there you have it. King Nikto III managed to regain control of Arbus. He brought back Queen Elliane from the border settlement. As for the Lady of Luxland, there just happened to be a convenient opening for a governess position." The janitor chuckled. "So you see, King Nikto III is King Nikto III, simple as that."

Maclos was leaned in, grabbing onto every word. "That's an extraordinary story. Why is none of this in any official records?"

"I don't know. You would have to ask people long dead for that answer."

"Then how do you know about it?" Maclos said, his tone growing accusatory. "Tell me where you came from this information. Such claims require solid proof."

The janitor shrugged. "If you want a paper trail of something, I don't have that for you. What I just told you is a family story passed down for generations."

"Wait. What's your name?"

The janitor let out a groan as he stood up after that big meal. He straightened up with a powerful stance. For a brief moment, the man felt strong and imposing. "My name is Daveon Marguli, and our family has been proudly serving the Arbus family for over three hundred years.

"But, if you want something else, do you know of the unnamed tomb within the royal crypts?"

Maclos nodded. "Of course. People have theorized that it belongs to some disavowed royal family member."

"Nope," the janitor said solemnly. "King Nikto III managed to find where Llan was buried. For the farmhand's sacrifice, they gave him a royal burial. That unnamed grave is where you'll find him."

The janitor stood up and stretched out his arms. He waved over a waitress. "We've finished our meals. My friend here will handle the check." He smirked. "Thanks for the food, Maclos. I hope you got what you wanted."

Maclos remained sitting at the table unsure of what to make of it all. Even if it was true, the only source was an old family story. It coming from the Marguli family did lend some weight to the words. Still, without any concrete evidence, Maclos had no idea what he was going to do. The only thing he knew was that his wallet was going to be much lighter after paying for the meal.

Patreon

Writing Week is 502

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis