[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Let go-I can't-breathe!
Get off! Help!
Where is-

Clink!

What-?

At Diamantus' shot the chain was no more, split at the center, and disappearing altogether as a fizzling light. Thrown off balance by her flailing's sudden lack of a counter weight, Aelflead fell to the ground and sent her "pet" careening through the air like a stone from a slingshot, adding to the overall chaos in the room.

WC:[69/1,302]
The book monster carries deadly force, and since I'm not sure if it counts as a ranged skill because it's a projectile, or it's whatever because she threw it, I'll let you decide or whatever Idk.
Improvised weapons are weird.

Anyway, I guess the chain is busted. Hooray for Commander Aeria and Diamantus (. Um, Aelf's not attacking aimlessly anymore, but she's also not doing shit but hitting the ground like a sack of potatoes either. So yeah, - 1 to rampaging redheads.

Last edited:

Redfin

Staff member
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
The templar was blasted through by the lasers. It clattered to the ground in a pile of armor and stars. The blast from the naga flew counter to the fangs by the book. It hit the floating creature squarely in the body. A sickening crunch happened as its body snapped back into an unnatural angle. The book followed as it twirled through the air before landing on the ground, motionless.

The wooden table was on its last legs. It splintered apart in a noise that boomed through the quiet. When the dust settled, all was still.

At the far end of the library was something not part of the original design. The shelves on the back wall had been replaced with machinery similar to those that had been added on to the rest of the temple. It looked like the parts had fallen onto the ground leaving whatever was supposed to happen dormant.

[1710]

Sep 22, 2009
Now the little group stood in the middle of a gigantic zone of chaos. Blood was evident on most of their clothing and everyone looked considerably worse for wear, but they were all alive for the moment and no one seemed so badly injured that they’d need more medical attention. Aeria went over to help Aelflead up while Diamantus let out a low whistle and glanced around. “Well holy shit! We sure made a mess of the place. What the hell d’ya think’s going on down on that wall?”

The ingenarius in Aeria was fascinated by the mechanisms that she saw on that wall but she moved forward cautiously towards it. There were things that she recognized there, but she was cautious as she drew nearer. “I don’t know, but I hope that more crazy shit doesn’t happen if we get to close to it. I’ve had quite enough of animated, deadly books and the undead for one day. It looks like,whatever this machinery is, that it has seen better days.”

She raised an eyebrow. “I’m starting to think this isn’t really a temple so much as a machine for something. What have we walked into?”

[2100]

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
It happened again-where did that chain come from-who did that?

Who fucking did that?

As Aelflead rose on Aeria's arms, her breathing was ragged and her eyes still unfocused. The mechanism that might have drawn her eye lay forgotten in her mind in favor of scowling blindly into the room.

She pushed herself away from Aeria when her legs stopped their trembling enough to hold her weight and the sound of a sour toned contralto bounced off the tiles in the room.

It said. "Which one of you stupid pieces of shit did that?"

WC: [94/1,396]

Last edited:

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
"Did what?" Keydis snapped back harshly. "We're in the middle of enemy territory and just got finished smashing through an ambush of spellcasters. I've never worked with a Bell-damned one of you, so I can't cover for all of your weaknesses!

"Aren't you supposed to have faced down a daemon lord and a monstrous dragon? You even had the stones to punch me. Fucking act like you've got some sense about you, save the bullshit for when the fighting's done!"

Keydis glowered at Aelflead a moment longer but then grumbled and pulled her axe from over her shoulder, pointing it at Aeria. "As for you! Do not be letting your guard down. The fighting is not done, crazy shit will happen, we're still in a haunted, possessed, something of a temple that shouldn't exist and is trying to eat the world around it! All this marks is the end of the first skirmish. Second skirmish. We already lost one in the first outside because she got careless, I'd rather not lose any more."

Snapping over to Diamantus next, she growled out, "How long does it take to shoot those things? You hurting for ammo already? No? Then don't stop shooting! The sooner we end these fights, the less likely bad things will happen! Like people losing their Bell-damned legs!"

Keydis found a suitable spot in the floor where she slammed her axe downward, sticking it upright in the floorboards. "And you!" The brunette was pointing at Cassius this time. She paused for a long moment before finally realizing she didn't have anything to say. "Actually, keep doing what you're doing. If you make it out of this place, I'll even buy you a beer. Are you old enough to drink? Eh, doesn't matter. I know a place where they won't even ask."

After the fighting and yelling, Keydis was still shaking and the adrenaline didn't seem to know what to do with itself. For years, she had worked toward becoming a guard in Terminus. Although she'd never made it in because of her uncle, training exercises were the closest she'd come to group engagements. In this, she suddenly felt responsible for keeping everyone alive... and woefully unprepared to do that. The sight of Gwendolyn covered in blood was fresh in her memory.

Pulling two carbide rings from her fingers, she lodged them into slots in the anvil portion of her axe, which was now firmly anchored into the floor. The rings were touching, just the right hardness and coarseness for her to repair and sharpen her blade. Out of words to say, she began working on her sword to keep busy, to be ready for the next fight. The mystery of the machinery was something she trusted the others with more than herself.

[465/2000]

I definitely did not intend to spend a week on this, but life has been hitting hard. I also ended up doing something I would almost never advise: addressing OOC thoughts IC. This is a rare instance where the two mostly line up. I still want to be clear, though, that this isn’t meant to be a personal attack. You’re playing to your characters, which is good, but I wouldn’t be playing to mine if Keydis didn’t speak up. I’d be playing Sayis, and Sayis is an altogether different persona.

17400/30000 Vigor spent

Bat Cthulhu

[Message Deleted]
Jun 18, 2009
“R… Right.” Cassius gulped. These women were intense. “Let’s take a moment to recuperate. I have some bandages in my bag here. If one of you guys could keep watch while I play medic?” His hands started digging as he worked, pulling out basic first aid supplies haphazardly. Part of him wished he had gotten a full medkit, or even better, some of the Tera Regia infused potions that automagically fixed injuries. But poor students who failed Intro to Alchemics had limited access to such things.

The mage went over to start on Keydis, but stopped. She seemed intent, and rather angry. He might catch an elbow or fist in the ribs for his “helping,” and he was already tired from their first fight. Plus she seemed like she was ignoring the small amount of blood that still seeped from her well enough. At least his spell had gotten rid of the big cut on her thigh.

So instead he went over to Aeria, eyeing her wounds and mentally measuring the cuts he would need to make in his roll. Another hand fished out cream designed to help with burns.

“Keep on playing puzzle quest while I work,” he said simply, slowly unspooling a roll of fabric, “but you’re bleeding and I don’t want to spend all of my juice in one fight. I’m tired as hell already, and I’m not allowed to just up and leave. So just roll up your shirt and let me stop the bleeding…” Cassius eyed the magically made scorch on the woman’s shoulder, “and put some ointment on some of the other hits you took.”

271/1704

Used 1200/2750 Total Vigor For that fight

Last edited:

Redfin

Staff member
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
The machine on the wall was broken. Its pieces and gears lay on the ground in a pile. It looked as if everything was there. Following the pipe on the wall, going into the machine and coming out the other side, it looked like the it connected to a small chamber. Locked within was another machine part, one that looked different from the rest. A crystal was embedded inside a twisted star canister.

[1783]

Fit all pieces into the bounded area. The marked spots must match up.
If you want a version you can edit and move around, get it here. It opens in GIMP, a free image editing software.
Alternatively, you can use this online editor to look at and edit the file.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2009
Aeria took a slow inward breath and let it out. She knew that Keydis was full of adrenaline and understandable rage over what they’d faced, so she tried not to escalate the situation more than necessary. “I won’t let my guard drop, don’t worry. I wasn’t about to make any assumptions about the fight and ow! Vis-damn!”

Her outburst came as Cassius began to go to work on her wounds. She did as he instructed and let him work. The more patched up she was, the better for things as they moved forward. As he worked, the spurii looked at the wall puzzle and tried to mentally align all of the pieces for herself.

Diamantus, meanwhile, was glaring at Keydis and her expression was dark as she grumbled, “Yeah, yeah I got it. You don’t fuckin’ need to remind me.”

The rebel velen knew that there wasn’t much point in picking a fight over the situation, but she decided that if they got out of this mess alive, she might have to have a little mano a mano with Keydis. It would wait though.

She decided to take the angry woman’s advice and began to walk around the perimeter of the area, eyes peeled and loaded pistols ready to unload on whatever or whoever threatened them from the outside. The velen was fully expecting something horrible to happen at any moment, as several horrible things had already occurred and this place seemed full of them.

[2345]

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
As Keydis worked on her sword, she glanced over her shoulder repeatedly. After confirming that she hadn't done irreparable damage with her reckless final attack against the golem outside, the brunette quickly finished straightening and sharpening the sword, tightening its handle as much as she could. When she had some heat, she could do more.

A grunt was her only response when Cassius started bandaging up her leg. The healing spell he used had probably taken care of the worst of that. Instead of fussing, she let him do his thing while slipping the rings off the anvil and inspecting the blade of the axe itself. It was roughed a bit, but the weight would carry it through if she had to use it more. "That's enough," Keydis muttered to Cassius. He finished with his bandage and tied it off.

Good enough for now. When things were less hectic, she'd look into having her cracked (broken?) ribs taken care of.

Keydis pushed back onto her feet, seating the anvil-axe into the holster over her shoulder. A brief finger inspection of her armor didn't turn up any major flaws, so she turned her attention to the machine on the wall.

"Nothing, yet?" she asked Aeria. The thing made no sense at all to her, but... "Weren't you the one good with machines? Something here should make sense to you. I mean, maybe me and the hothead could jam pieces in, but just 'cause it fits won't mean it belongs. You're the one who would know what goes to what."

[250/2250]

Field Repair, Skilled Aedificare (Repair items out of combat)

17400/30000 Vigor spent

Sep 22, 2009
"I'm working, I'm working. I don't wanna make the wrong move and screw us all over. I bet this thing won't forgive a mistake. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Vis-damned trigger or something that'll set off some trap on anyone who messes up the puzzle."

Aeria turned the pieces over and over in her head, trying to get them to fit. She imagined how they'd go together and what fit with what, but she didn't want to actually start fitting too many pieces without conceptualizing it first of all. It didn't help to have Keydis' pressuring her but she understood why her pugnacious companion might feel like there was no time to waste.

She sighed and considered the first piece to place.

Meanwhile Diamantus continued her patrol of the outside area. She was sure this horrible place had more tricks in it and that soon enough those tricks would be revealed. When it did, the only recourse she had were the pistols that she carried.

[2513]

Bat Cthulhu

[Message Deleted]
Jun 18, 2009
“Start with the big piece.” Cassius called over, as he lifted himself from his knees, brushing the dust and dirt off of them. Aeria shot him a look that was somewhere between slightly surprised that he spoke and more than slightly skeptical at his words. To her credit, he was not sure of his own words. All he had was what small bits of logic he could sift out from how things fit together.

“I’m serious.” He continued. “I don’t know much about machinery, but,” the mage started walking over, adjusting his scarf as he moved, “I do know that that weird hook piece is going to be hard to find a fit for. We should build the system around where we place it.”

“Plus,” reaching the piece, the mage tapped part of it, “this part seems like it matches up pretty well to that spot over there on the wall.” The same hand that tapped the piece pointed a matching point in the confines of the machinery. “So it makes sense to put it together like that.”

“Going with that,” Cassius walked over to the barren wall and tilted his head a little, studying it, “if that spot has to go in this spot…” he held his hands up, moving it around in his head. “Then there’s only one real way that piece can fit.” At that, he reached into his bag, pulling out a small marker. “And that’s like this, with the hook at the far left end facing down. But…” he drew out the lines of where he thought the piece should be then stopped.

“Why are we rebuilding this machine in the first place? Do you guys know it’ll unlock the door or something?” He turned to look at the party. “Bad shit can happen if you just do things without thinking.”

306/2010

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Aelflead had been quiet up until this point in the discussion. She'd been too out of it and angry to speak something about the narrative irony of the mage's last sentence brought her mind some much needed clarity. And now she was no longer out of it, but she was angry enough that it might've been better for her to have stayed quiet.

"Because fuck one of you! Fuck you specifically, and fuck this stupid piece of fuckshit!" Aelflead stomped across the room, punctuating each "fuck you" with a general point at the group, then directly at Keydis, and then by stopping in front of the machine at the far wall and snatching pieces off the ground and sliding them into place.

"We're rebuilding this stupid piece of shit because I want to turn this fairy-tale curse into rubble before I remember that it has a horrible ending; and unless one of you dipshits has explosives, or you" -she turned to stab a pointed glare at Cassius- "and your half-dead pet can blast a hole in these walls, this is the only way forward!"

"So as long as this hot head-" The redhead shot her gaze back onto Keydis for a moment as she slid the last piece into place. "is smart enough to jam some fucking pieces into a sort it puzzle, piece of shit, door opening mechanis-! "

CLICK.

Narratively I think it'd make sense to agree Cassius solved this first, but I wanted to do a turning point angry thing with Aelf instead of just simmering all thread like usual, so I'm doing it. Yeah! Progress?
Aelflead Kirastes
Vigor: (Starting vigor -10%) [7,300/8,550]
Skills:
Militis - Adept
Barbaris - Adept
Brawler - Skilled
Ingenarius - Adept

Equipped Items:
Bigatium Broadsword - Medium - Basic
Auritium (Apparently this fucking thing is called a bowie knife with a knuckle guard but fuck weapon name inconsistencies) Knuckle dagger - Hand - Basic
Occultus Shade - N/A - [C] tier
Dahl Porro Vox - 1 contact logged

WC: [230/1,626]

Attachments

Redfin

Staff member
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
With all of the parts in place, the machine whirred to life by itself. It groaned, creaked and complained the entire way. The pieces shook so much it looked like they might pop out again, and a horrible screeching filled the room. The chamber to the special piece popped open, allowing access to the twisted star canister holding a crystal.

[1843]

Sep 22, 2009
Aeria was impressed by how quickly Cassius had figured out the puzzle. She internally chided herself for not having gotten there first, but it was fair to say that she wasn't really at her best at the moment. Standing, she walked across the room to the canister and paused to inspect it. She wasn't going to just reach out and grab at it, worried that it might be some kind of trap, but she could still examine it. There was something about it that shouted "I am a key" although why that was so was not entirely clear.

She decided to voice her thoughts to the rest of the group. Clearing her throat, she said, "I believe this may be a key or activating mechanism for some other type of machinery. I'd hazard a guess that it'll activate something else in this place, but I have an issue. The issue is that it might be trapped somehow. Do you all feel comfortable with me trying to remove it? I won't proceed unless you agree that I can attempt it."

She added, "If I do attempt it, I am going to need someone to pull me backwards away from it if we have a problem. Any volunteers?"

[2719]

Last edited:

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
Keydis swallowed back her revulsion at the blatant cowardice, trying to remind herself that they were in a dangerous situation. It could be a valid worry. Was it worth delaying and risking the lives of the townspeople outside, though?

Just before she stomped forward and grabbed the canister herself, movement caught her eye. She looked down at the naga, obviously injured but still alive. Keydis stepped over and grabbed the daemon around the waist, wincing as the weight pushed against her ribs. "Hey slitherpuss," she said with mock cheer, looking at the naga's shackled hands, "want to be a pal and pluck this thing out for us? You do? Thanks!"

The brunette walked the naga over toward the machinery, holding it up like a soused drinking partner, scaly tail dragging behind. Then she cast a look over at Cassius.

[150/2400]

17400/30000 Vigor spent

Redfin

Staff member
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
While battered the bruised, the mercenaries inside the temple were triumphant in the library. The room was left in tatters. Ancient furniture was turned into rubble. Books containing important knowledge was ash on the ground. Several fallen creatures remained lifeless.

Nothing happened as the naga pulled out the machine part. The stifling quiet lingered in the room as the machine deactivated. There was little time to rest. Outside the temple, things were still dire. Shambling creatures still threatened the town. The group made their way back to the main atrium where they had more space to regroup and plan out their next move.

The main atrium was a large room with most of the inhabitants already dead. At the back end of the room, up a set of stairs, was a set of large doors held closed by some kind of mechanical contraption. The parts to operate the machine were all missing. Opposite the way the group entered was another hallway.

[2009]

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2009
Aeria strode up the steps, surveying the mechanism and groaning slightly as she overlooked it. She could see how the mechanism worked, but the only part that looked like it would fit into the whole construct was the one they'd used the naga to grab. She announced, "We can use the part we just procured in this mechanism, but we're clearly going to have to find the rest of the parts if we want to open this door. We can put the object into the mechanism now, but we'll still have to go on a search. Maybe we should check out that hallway and see if the other parts that we need to obtain can be used on anything there. Thoughts?”"

Aeria could almost feel the irritation radiating in physical waves from Keydis at her, but there was no use in proceeding without a common goal. They were all in this thing together, so they might as well move together. Diamantus meanwhile was stalking around on the edges of the room, keeping her eyes peeled for any potential dangers that might come their way.

[2903]

Last edited:

Mystydjinn

[Insert rimshot]
Jul 29, 2013
Flint, MI
Still looking sour and haggard from her episode and outburst before, Aelflead walked up beside Aeria and ran her gloved hands over the door frame, then the mechanism in turn before speaking up.

"I'm sick of this place already, but I don't wanna destroy the architecture, there's historical value here." She said. Then she turned turned around to look over the room again, spotted the second hall and started towards it.

"This door must've opened after we picked up that gem from before." The redhead drew her dagger again and stepped over the threshold into the hall with eyes to stab the first thing to step in front of her.

"Fifty exa says we find the other pieces of shit we need in the rest of these halls." She shouted back to the group.

[WC/RapiDo]

swaswj

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2008
"If you think you can blow the door, do it," Keydis suggested. "I don't think this clockwork shit is historical, and if it is, there's more in the other room. More important that we not waste time playing games."

In spite of what she was saying, she was heading toward the second hallway with Aelflead. She had no explosives, knew little about machinery besides the Messer she had been driving, and doubted that beating her axe against the wall would do much. "Do what you can, we're going ahead. If you two get it done or not, come get us -- don't go rushing ahead on your own."

Keydis had her doubts on how far the two of them would make it on their own. "Caster boy... your call. Pick a group."

[Pending/2400]

17400/30000 Vigor spent

Redfin

Staff member
Mar 18, 2007
Over there
The second hallway was quiet. It was more than just a normal lack of anything moving. The sound was absorbed, leaving nothing but silence. Footsteps didn't echo back from bouncing off the wall. The further down the hall they went, the more the walls disappeared into a starry darkness. It was like the same thing inside of the decrepit people, only it was seeping out of the walls. The space seemed to expand into a field of stars.

The slime of stars coated the ceiling, the walls, the floor in splotches. Nothing moved within the halls, but the floor was littered with corpses. Some were missing body parts, others were torn in half. Any time a body would touch the starry abyss, it was missing.

At the end of the hallway was another room.

[2143]

Writing Week is 222

Discord Chat