Week 466: Uncovered Ruins

• Ready to join Post Terminus?

Click to get started and submit your first character.

Getting Started
Jun 15, 2019
Terminus
Latens
5,514✦
Exa
⏆49,657
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬
Total Word Count: 3940

I​

Amanita was heading to what could be an interesting meeting with a professor of archeology. She was wearing casual clothes that were still fashionable with a green cropped jacket over a sleek dress. A pair of stylish caligae adorned her feet.

She headed into the Sapientia Coetus, the world-renowned university located within the city of Terminus. The massive tower stood seventy four floors high, reaching even above the clouds. The massive stone that bricks made up the structure was taller than the woman.

Surrounding it was the campus. Anything the students needed could be found within the walking distance of the front doors. Businesses sold supplies, books, energy supplements and more. Parks, cafés and restaurants provided a calming, comforting atmosphere. Large dormitory blocks were available for students that needed a place to live.

All was located within the Sapientia Coetus District. That was not the actual name. Since the university took up more than half the space and was what the district was known for, the nickname stuck.

It was early in the afternoon, and the university was bustling. Students hurried in small groups while discussing the latest work they were assigned to do. Janitors kept up their unending war in keeping the school tidy. A few professors could be seen walking about, distinguished by their neat and professional attire.

Amanita headed for the ring of elevators in the center of the tower. Her meeting was on the forty-sixth floor. With waiting for the lift to arrive and people getting on and off, the trip upwards took over twenty minutes. Commuting within the university was a challenge that took patience and knowledge to overcome.

Amanita was ten minutes late as she knocked on the professor's office. A plaque next to the door read, "Professor Orrum Donphan."

"Come in!" an excited voice called out.

Before Amanita even fully entered, Professor Donphan said, "Please don't mind the mess."

Her first steps knocked into a book on the ground. There was a shelf full of disorganized books in one corner. Another held piles of papers that had fallen over. A corkboard filled with diagrams was squished into the available free space. Amanita's gaze narrowed.

"I know, I know, Lady Agaricales," the professor said from behind his desk. He was an older gentleman with a more casual style compared to the other professors around. His grey beard was tied at the end to keep it tamed. When he stood, he bumped into a box that was sticking out from an overhead shelf. "With no students and no office hours, I may have let the room go a bit."

"Right."

"Anyway, is there anything you need before we begin?" Professor Donphan cleared a book off the guest chair.

A light scoff escaped Amanita. "No. Let's proceed."

"Yes!" the man exclaimed with a pump of his fist. "First off, these are for you." He handed over three books, each one written by him, about old civilizations and lost cities. "My topic of research is all about what has been lost to time, especially the cataclysm. We know little about the world before, and there is much to discover."

The professor moved over to the corkboard where a map of Araevis was pinned. "There are more ruins being found all the time." He pointed to a few. Strings connected marked locations to photographs and notes. "Some sites are simple to reach, but often, they have already been looted or explored. There is still value in researching them, of course, but the real answers can only be uncovered through risk and exploration.

"That requires funding. I need local guides, security, supplies. And the length of these expeditions can vary greatly depending on what we find. Just think of all that is waiting out there to be uncovered." Professor Donphan tried to make a grand gesture, but they were in a small office with no window. The most he could do was point back at the map.

"Surely, you can appreciate learning more about our world, right? Knowledge is power, after all."

Amanita was leaning back on the chair with her legs crossed. Her lips were pursed and expression unreadable. The books in her hand were barely touched, though she had glanced at the blurbs on the back.

"I do," Amanita said. "There is a lot to uncover about the world, a lot we don't know, and I'm sure it's all quite fascinating. However!" The woman glanced up from the books. "I'm not the person to do that. This entire presentation feels dry and did little to inspire me. Perhaps there are others more suitable to this. When I look at these expeditions, I wonder how I could see a return?"

"Um, well." Professor Donphan glanced around, "I'm sure there are quite a few ways to earn back your investments. This would all depend on what we find, of course."

"Yes, I'm thinking ancient artifacts could be put on display. Or, assuming the ruins are safe, there could be tours and learning experiences for locations." The woman waved her hands at the map. "I'm sure there are interesting things at those locations, but they are all too far out of the way. It would be prohibitively expensive to send any expedition there. I assume that's why they have not been explored yet?"

The professor nodded.

"A lot of these do look like a lot of risk for little reward."

"Don't you have an adventurous spirit, Lady Agaricales? Sometimes, the cost is worth it just to know more."

"It doesn't grab me," Amanita stated. "I think it isn't essential to what people need to do now."

The professor rubbed his chin. "Why don't I show you? Maybe you'll change your mind if you experience one of these ancient places for yourself. You have heard of all the ruins below Terminus, correct? I have access to a lot of areas that the public usually doesn't get to see."

"Aren't all of those places already explored?"

"We are not sure. We have been through a large amount of the ruins beneath the city, but there are always more. That isn't the point of the visit, anyway. You have to see these ancient ruins for yourself to truly understand the power they have." Professor Donphan leaned over with bright eyes.

"Alright. I will go on an expedition, even if it is to someplace already explored. Let's go."

The professor was taken aback. "Right now?"

Amanita nodded. "Or do you have something else to do?"

"Now is perfect," Professor Donphan said with a forced smile. He hurried around the room grabbing things including a coat. "Please follow me."

Though Amanita had lived in Terminus for several years now, and she had visited some unsavory parts of the city, the ruins hidden underneath was not a place she had been to. She knew a bit of their history. The chambers and hallways were where the demvir were discovered after the cataclysm five hundred plus years ago.

The trip was starting to interest the businesswoman. She found a smile on her face while riding through the streets of Terminus, but her expression turned to confusion when they stopped at a department store.

"What are we doing here?" Amanita asked.

Professor Donphan stepped out of the carriage. With a wave of his hands, he proclaimed, "This is where the entrance to the ruins are."

He led the way and showed several documents to the manager of one of the stores on the ground floor. The manager gave an exasperated sigh and tilt of their head, but Amanita and Professor Donphan were allowed access to the staff only areas.

Compared to the bright, welcoming store, the back hallways were cold and gray. Mops, boxes, rags and all sorts of junk were strewn about. Pipes and wires ran along the walls.

"They used to do lectures in the ruins here because of its easy access and spaciousness," Professor Donphan explained. "I attended one when I was young, and that brought about my love for the hidden secrets of the world."

"Why did they stop?"

"Because the store opened. They didn't want to accommodate people going in and out for the lectures. I think it's a real shame."

They made their way to a storage room deep within the back area. Being older, Professor Donphan struggled to move the crates of merchandise out of the way, and there was no one else around to help.

Amanita sighed. "Step back." There was enough empty space outside of the room. Her fingers coursed with magical energy as she scratched a circular symbol onto the stone walls. With the loop completed, a portal opened. "Come here, Memerosia. I need you."

A deep red creature stepped out from the gate. She was seven feet tall with the top half of a person and the bottom half of a crustacean. A jagged carapace covered her body. Stringy, tendril-like hair fell across her face. A pair of shackles locked her arms, though they were symbolic more than anything since her eight stabbing legs were still free.

"Waddup?" the summoned demon said. Her voice grated like rocks pushed into a crusher. An echoing screech remained after she had finished speaking.

Amanita pointed to the far wall. "Please move those boxes."

"Yes, m'lady." Despite having the body build of a sapling tree, Memerosia flexed a pose. Her actual attempt at moving the boxes was pushing them out of the way using her bulky lower half. Loud scraping noises filled the room.

Professor Donphan was pressed up against the wall, barely moving. His eyes were wide and unblinking.

Amanita patted him on the shoulder. "She won't bite. But she can hurt you in other ways."

"Archeologists are nothing but a nuisance to people trying to live their lives," Memerosia said.

"Wait, how does she know what we're doing now?" the professor asked.

Amanita shrugged.

A door was revealed behind the crates. It stood out in the dark storeroom being made of a single slab of stone with a mechanical lock built in. The years of dust didn't diminish its wonder. An ancient language was etched over the surface and filled with gold. The brass frame glinted in the low light.

The door strained and groaned as it was pushed open. Light from the storeroom couldn't reach the ruins beyond. Only darkness greeted them.

Jun 15, 2019
Terminus
Latens
5,514✦
Exa
⏆49,657
Bounty
⏈0
Dahlitium (⏆50 per)
0⌯
Bigatium (⏆100 per)
0⍨
Auritium (⏆300 per)
0⍫
Vitatium (⏆1200 per)
0⌭
Caelitium (⏆6000 per)
0⌬

II​

Amanita Agaricales, Professor Donphan and Memerosia were standing in a dim and dingy storage room in the far reaches of a department store. The room just so happened to hold a gateway to a world most people within Terminus hadn't seen, to the ancient hallways and chambers located underneath the city.

Supposedly.

All Amanita could see was darkness.

She stepped through first. Amanita gasped as a wave of cold hit her chest. It was chilly in the back halls of the department store, but her breath was visible within the ruins. The difference was so sharp that Amanita wasn't sure she was still in the city. An unknowable darkness pressed in from all sides. A creeping sensation of something strange lurking nearby made her breath short and shallow. She patted her chest and cleared her throat. "How are we supposed to see anything?"

"Ah, allow me."

Professor Donphan reached around in the darkness. The noise from several heavy levers boomed across the silence. A shrill whine and low hum filled the air. Floodlights flicked on throughout the hall. They looked to be quickly installed during the time when the ruins were first being explored. Wires ran along the walls and ceilings held up by brackets. Modern technology did little to dampen the atmosphere of the ancient ruins.

It was another world down there, hidden away from those above. Awe and wonder lingered in every brick. A story was behind missing chunks and cracks in the wall. Powerful pillars separated Terminus from the civilization below.

The ruins had a simple feel to them. The only curves were the arched ceilings, otherwise everything was in straight lines including the repeating geometric design of the ground. Brass stripes delineated the borders between floor, wall and ceiling.

Amanita raised a hand to dismiss Memerosia.

"Ah," Professor Donphan sounded. "Maybe you should leave your friend? It has been a long time since anyone has been down here. Things could have moved in."

"Could anything survive down here? There's nothing."

"Most of the time the ruins aren't empty when we discover them."

Amanita nodded and let her minion remain. Together, they went down the long hallways. The clacking of Memerosia's legs created a rhythmic echo.

Parts of the ruins had collapsed. The debris had been cleared away and the wooden barricades used to hold back the earth. There were enough nooks and gaps for all manner of creatures to enter, though which ones would want to? Other cracks revealed that there was machinery inside some of the walls.

"What do they do?" Amanita asked.

Professor Donphan took a deep breath while shaking his head. "I don't know."

The woman shot over a glare. "How do you not know?"

"You see, in archeology, we sometimes balance learning with preserving." The old man reached out to the mechanical parts. "We could take down this entire wall to see what these machines do, but that may do irreparable damage to the ruins. I, personally, would like to, but ever since the Star Wall Incident, the powers that be in Terminus have decided to not disturb the ruins as much as possible.

"Let's proceed. There is a massive chamber up ahead."

Massive was an understatement. Having traveled down a square stairwell for several flights, the chamber was also farther below the city than anywhere Amanita had been previously. The reward for the long trek was a grand space, the full reaches of which were unknown. An old generator sat by the entrance. Once turned on, the nearby lights sparked up. As powerful as they were, most of the area remained veiled by darkness. The place they were standing was but a small chunk floating amongst nothing.

Whenever Amanita took a deep breath, a metallic taste filled her mouth. Cold made her shiver from the inside out.

The professor picked up a handheld lantern. After some fiddling, the light came on. It was enough to allow them to travel. He followed a metal pathway set between stone blocks.

"We believe this chamber used to be an assembly floor of some kind. Most of the machinery was looted far before this place was officially discovered, but you can still see the areas where everything was bolted into the floor or walls."

Helpfully, everything was marked out by tape. Barricades placed around the room guided people down a controlled path. Professor Donphan shined his light around the various zones. Open pipe fittings dotted the walls. Scratches marked the floors. The only other feature were hexagonal pillars holding up the roof.

The entire area was well used at one point, but that was a long time ago. Any thoughts on what the giant space was used for were just that, thoughts.

Amanita spun around taking in the emptiness. "To think such a huge space could be hidden beneath the city, and hardly anyone knows about it. It truly is a second city beneath the first one."

"Most people would sleep a lot less soundly if they knew just how much empty space was beneath their homes being held up by centuries old construction." The professor chortled.

Memerosia twitched her head. Her eyes flicked back and forth. The chains around her hands shook. She was hanging back, shifting around from side to side.

Professor Donphan sighed as memories took over his eyes. His expression softened into a smile. "There used to be lectures here." He traipsed around a particular part of the grand chamber swaying to and fro. "Of course, this place was more welcoming back then. They took away a lot of the lights and warmth. It's too bad."

Amanita had her arms folded. "I'll admit, this has been more impressive than I thought. Still, this is hardly a sound business opportunity if everything was looted long ago."

"It's not about money, though." The professor spun to her with a finger raised. "You can feel the majesty of this place. I know it."

"Yes, but emotions have no place in business. Of course, this could be something else, but I would have to consider funding expeditions as charity." Amanita cast a glance to the side while rubbing her chin. "I wonder if I could get a deduction on my taxes for this?"

Something skittered in the darkness. The professor jumped. His body crashed into a barricade, sending out a clattering.

"What was that?" Amanita asked.

"I don't know. Some kind of animal?" The old man was wincing and rubbing his side. He retreated further away, but with how open the space was, the sound seemed to come from everywhere.

Amanita took hold of the lantern. "Memerosia, if you would do something about the source of that noise."

There was no response. Amanita turned around to see Memerosia fidgeting and looking around. The demon was tapping at the side of her head.

"Memerosia!"

"You rang?" her minion responded. "Because something is ringing. Or humming. Buzzing. Zinging. Bada-binging."

"What about skittering?"

Memerosia continued glancing around. "No, nothing is doing that."

"Yes there is," Amanita snapped. "I'm not prepared today, so you need to deal with whatever's out there." She waved her hands towards the empty darkness.

Memerosia stepped forwards, but her head was ticking. "You don't hear that annoying sound? The only one allowed to be annoying here is me!"

"The only thing I hear is the sound of something coming at us!"

The noise approached. There was a heaviness to the steps that created solid thuds. Amanita stepped forwards while raising her light. A horrid, snarling face lunged into the brightness.

"Gah!" the woman yelped as she jumped to the side.

A blast of lightning crackled through the air, its flash blinding the room for an instant.

The creature recoiled from the strike, but it remained standing. Its thick brown fur managed to absorb most of the impact. An eyeless face jerked back and forth. Fleshy appendages seemed to grow out from a long nose. Even moving on four legs, it was as tall as Amanita and had enough heft to easily bully wagons out of the way.

The creature was a regular-sized moldvarp.

It sniffed the air searching. Long claws on the ends of its six-toed feet clacked against the ground. Memerosia let out a low growl that shook the stomach of all those nearby. She had never made such a noise before. If the moldvarp had eyes, it would surely see the correct strategy was to flee. Instead, the animal took on the challenge and attacked.

In the battle between demon and animal, the one with magical powers and an otherworldly carapace was winning. Flames erupted and earth shook.

"No!" Professor Donphan cried out from a safe distance. "Don't damage anything!"

Amanita ordered, "Memerosia, tone it down!"

The fiend gave no indication that she heard. Rather, she charged forwards in a furious assault that sent the moldvarp scampering for safety. Singed and frostbitten, the animal retreated into the darkness. Memerosia went after it.

"Hey!" Amanita shouted. "Stop!" But her minion refused to listen. She followed just in time to see the moldvarp squeeze through a hole in the wall.

"The sound is coming through there!" Memerosia hissed in a scratchy tone. Both hands raised up. A tear opened in the world to the realm of swirling magical energies. A deep green glow lit up her ferocious smile full of sharp teeth.

Amanita reached out, her fingers grasping for some kind of reins. But they were out of reach.

A powerful blast ripped out from the portal shattering the wall into rubble.

The person that cried the loudest was Professor Donphan. He pulled on his beard so hard the wrinkles on his face disappeared. Long after the sound of falling rocks stopped, his low whining could still be heard.

Amanita had a tight hold on her minion's chains. A sharp glare was in her eyes. "What is wrong with you today? You're acting more ornery tha unusual."

"The noise! It's coming from there!" Memerosia pointed with one of her crab legs.

There was an open space beyond the broken wall. It wasn't a natural space but another constructed tunnel. The moldvarp was gone, ran into the hole it made earlier leaving behind a large pile of dirt. That must be how it got in.

Now that Amanita was in the new tunnel, she noticed a noise. It was high-pitched and difficult to hear, but it scratched at her ear.

Memerosia reached upwards as if performing a powerful ballad, but she was making a similar high-pitched noise.

Amanita winced and covered her ears. "Why are you so annoying today?" She waved her hands and sent her minion away through a portal. "I'll risk the moldvarp coming back without you." She went back to the professor. "Stop complaining and come over here. We found something interesting."

"Huh? What do you mean?" The horror faded from his face and was replaced by curiosity. He carefully stepped over the pile of debris. "Look at all this! There's a whole new section of ruins back here!"

Amanita had her hands on hips and her chest puffed out. "See, this is why you shouldn't focus on preservation over all other aspects."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves here."

There was still the strange sound to investigate. Hearing it made Amanita shiver like ice sliding down her back, but she pushed onwards.

The newly discovered tunnel was straight with no branches. It was plain and simple even when compared to the rest of the ruins. The walls and floors lacked any of the finer decorations found elsewhere. Waiting at the end was a huge pit. From the brass border, the pit was specially constructed.

If it was possible to be even darker than black, then that was what awaited over the edge. An inky haze that swallowed up anyone that tried to reach in. The light of the lantern vanished, but the strange sound continued from far below.

Professor Donphan had all his weight on his back leg even while inching closer to the ledge. "This is incredible! To think that something like his was hidden here."

"Say we want to explore this new area, what would be the next steps?" Amanita asked.

"Well, we need to alert the proper authorities and get their permission. These things go much smoother with the cooperation of the local government. In our case, this would be the officials of Terminus. If they agree, then we can start the process."

"So who owns any findings?"

Professor Donphan shifted away from the hole. "Typically, the city. Depending on what we find, they would give a finder's fee. I'm sure there are other arrangements that can be made as well."

"Hah." Amanita covered her mouth before her full chuckle. "This has piqued my interest, and I want to know what is making that sound. Let's treat this as a trial run of our partnership so we can see how we work with each other. If this goes well, I'll consider funding further expeditions."

"Of course. We should start working on the permits right away."

Amanita held out her hand. "If anyone asks, the wall collapsed because of the moldvarp." Only after the professor agreed did they leave the cold, dark ruins underneath the bustling city city.

Patreon

Writing Week is 507

Discord Chat

Current Date in Araevis